Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Power Supplies (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/power-supplies/)
-   -   Powersupply for GTX295 (folding) (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/power-supplies/57159-powersupply-gtx295-folding.html)

great_big_abyss October 9, 2012 02:09 PM

Powersupply for GTX295 (folding)

Buying a GTX295 from the BST to throw into my HTPC to fold with (screw noise, I'll just turn the volume up, LOL) I've got a 1.8GHZ Athlon I in there right now, plus a couple of WD Green Harddrives. I've got a 430W PS in there right now, but obviously that isn't going to cut it anymore. What size PS will I need to power this dual chip monster?

Soultribunal October 9, 2012 02:36 PM

Something along the lines of an HX650, Silverstone Strider 650, HCG650, X-660 would be what I would aim for. You could probably drop to a bit lower in the 550 range but I wouldn't considering what you are doing with it. That way you stay at the peak efficency of the PSU itself.

-ST

great_big_abyss October 9, 2012 02:38 PM

Yeah, FAH should have the card pegged 24/7, so I suppose an efficient PSU is in order. Would love to spend under $70 for it.... might pick one up from MemEx here in town...

Your_friendly_gamer October 9, 2012 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by great_big_abyss (Post 660820)
Yeah, FAH should have the card pegged 24/7, so I suppose an efficient PSU is in order. Would love to spend under $70 for it.... might pick one up from MemEx here in town...

I know OCZ sucks, but for how cheap this deal is, why not. What do you got to lose? Not much!

OCZ ModXstream Pro 700W SLI Ready Power Supply at Memory Express

ON sale!

great_big_abyss October 9, 2012 03:10 PM

A cheaper one would do. It's not like I have crazy expensive parts to lose.... Thanks, YFG!!!

Soultribunal October 9, 2012 08:34 PM

I wouldn't use that unit. But if you don't mind losing HW knock yourself out.

-ST

great_big_abyss October 9, 2012 08:38 PM

It's cheap hardware... The Athlon is a 7 year old dual core, and the video card is $100. The only thing that really means anything to me are the harddrives.

Soultribunal October 10, 2012 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by great_big_abyss (Post 660942)
It's cheap hardware... The Athlon is a 7 year old dual core, and the video card is $100. The only thing that really means anything to me are the harddrives.

Fair enough, though with the 5v rail issues and 3.3 rail issues I had, I wouldn't even bet on the HDD's. Again , I've done my due dilligence in trying to steer you away :).

I just hate seeing people go through the same crap I did.

-ST

great_big_abyss October 10, 2012 09:36 AM

Advice taken.

Any other option for a $70 powersupply that will do the trick? Local pickup at Mem Express

Soultribunal October 10, 2012 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by great_big_abyss (Post 661036)
Advice taken.

Any other option for a $70 powersupply that will do the trick? Local pickup at Mem Express

Well that one was 84.99 the OCZ. Get the Antec Earthwatts 650. Way better unit, same cost.

-ST