Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 1, 2012, 12:56 PM
Rookie

Default New HX850 VS AX850

Hi, I know that the main difference is that the ax is fully modular and with a more silent fan. Despite that apparently the new HX850 is 80 Plus Gold not silver and the price difference is ridiculous (at least in Amazon).

HX850: Amazon.com: Corsair 850 Watts 80PLUS Gold Certified Modular ATX12V/EPS12V Power Supply HX850: Computers & Accessories

AX850: Amazon.com: Corsair Professional Series Gold 850-Watt 80 Plus Gold Certified High-Performance Power Supply - CMPSU-850AX: Computers & Accessories

Opinions? I couldn't find andy posts since the new HX850 revision

Last edited by martin286; October 1, 2012 at 01:20 PM.
Old October 1, 2012, 01:01 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Ridiculous? How is only 6 bucks ridiculous? The HX is 182, the AX is 188 on your links .....
Old October 1, 2012, 01:06 PM
Rookie

I meant ridiculous low? It's only 6 bucks of difference not ~$25 like it used to be. What I tried to say is that there is almost no difference in price
Old October 1, 2012, 01:20 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin286 View Post
I meant ridiculous low? It's only 6 bucks of difference not ~$25 like it used to be. What I tried to say is that there is almost no difference in price
Probably because the AX will eventually be phased out to a new design or suddenly become a Platinum platform (Flextronics, SF, not sure if CWT has a platinum platform).

Corsair has been refreshing all of there designs (the GS is now a CWT PUQ platform too), so the price differential while confusing for only having fully modular will change over time.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old October 1, 2012, 01:30 PM
Rookie

So the current price for the HX is due to a soon to be outdated model right?
Thanks !
Any recomendation over theese two models ?

PS: I edited my first post to receive notifications via email and once I saved it it dissapeared :(
Old October 1, 2012, 01:39 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin286 View Post
So the current price for the HX is due to a soon to be outdated model right?
Thanks !
Any recomendation over theese two models ?

PS: I edited my first post to receive notifications via email and once I saved it it dissapeared :(
Yes, that is probably what will end up happening since they are otherwise shooting themselves in the foot by having such a good model so close to their top tier AX Series.

Go with the newest one , the new HX is a brand new CWT platform that so far is proven to be solid.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com