Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 28, 2012, 12:40 PM
lelionmoddeur

Question the true power of PSU's

Hello guys,im a complete noob in PSU's and i was wondering if a 730W psu can hold a PC that uses 700w,for example,will it die faster?

Also,i have this PSU Be Quiet ! Alimentation Pure Power L8-730W CM 80PLUS Bronze (BN183) : achat / vente Alimentation PC sur ldlc.com

And i don't know about PSU voltage and stuff,i know this one can handle GTX 560 ti SLI + i5 2500k easily but even if the watts are ok,i was wondering if there wound not be problems with voltages,amps,etc.. i don't know anything about PSUs

will i be able to overclock this SLI with that PSU? i hope i'm not off topic :D
thx for your help!
Old September 28, 2012, 12:55 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Wattage and quality is all you ever need worry about, the PSU handles all of the voltages.
Old September 28, 2012, 01:04 PM
F@H

My System Specs

In Short a PSU is rated (or should be the quality ones) to run at full capacity continuous capacity.
Now, there are a few things to note. Running a PSU at its highest capacity means that it will be generating its most heat, and will be less efficent than if it was operating at 70% say of capacity.

As well, the hotter capacitors get, the shorter there life becomes so the side effect of running near max can sometimes translate to a shorter life on your PSU. Espically since capacitors become aged and lose there capacity over time.

So, you should always aim (IMO, everyone else has a different theory on this, and are correct too sometimes) to do no more than say 80% of rated capacity.

Your BeQuiet! unit is decent, they tend to be made by good OEM's though for your specific one I am not sure of.

I Highly doubt though that you will be close to max even with OC'd 560TI's. I ran 460SCC's , with an old and hot i7 930 and even maxed out with everything going full I pulled no more than 480 from my wall. I ran this succesfully for 2 years on an HX650 (bronze rated PSU). The 560TI is a more powerful and more efficent GPU, that has the same TDP as my 460's did. So, if you actually got a meter to test what you pull from the wall, I am sure you will find its about the same as mine, though your Processor and such are much more efficent than my old one.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old September 28, 2012, 01:07 PM
lelionmoddeur

thanks a lot for your answers,so i'll be able to overclock my 560 ti's to 900 mhz..

EDIT i just found this http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages...review,14.html

so yes its 300W with SLI (full load) + 100W CPU +50W motherboard let's add 50 W for fans and stuff its 500 W MAX so yes,no prob to OC :) yay

Last edited by lelionmoddeur; September 28, 2012 at 05:20 PM.