Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 28, 2012, 11:40 AM
Question the true power of PSU's

Hello guys,im a complete noob in PSU's and i was wondering if a 730W psu can hold a PC that uses 700w,for example,will it die faster?

Also,i have this PSU Be Quiet ! Alimentation Pure Power L8-730W CM 80PLUS Bronze (BN183) : achat / vente Alimentation PC sur ldlc.com

And i don't know about PSU voltage and stuff,i know this one can handle GTX 560 ti SLI + i5 2500k easily but even if the watts are ok,i was wondering if there wound not be problems with voltages,amps,etc.. i don't know anything about PSUs

will i be able to overclock this SLI with that PSU? i hope i'm not off topic :D
thx for your help!
Old September 28, 2012, 11:55 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Wattage and quality is all you ever need worry about, the PSU handles all of the voltages.
Old September 28, 2012, 12:04 PM

My System Specs

In Short a PSU is rated (or should be the quality ones) to run at full capacity continuous capacity.
Now, there are a few things to note. Running a PSU at its highest capacity means that it will be generating its most heat, and will be less efficent than if it was operating at 70% say of capacity.

As well, the hotter capacitors get, the shorter there life becomes so the side effect of running near max can sometimes translate to a shorter life on your PSU. Espically since capacitors become aged and lose there capacity over time.

So, you should always aim (IMO, everyone else has a different theory on this, and are correct too sometimes) to do no more than say 80% of rated capacity.

Your BeQuiet! unit is decent, they tend to be made by good OEM's though for your specific one I am not sure of.

I Highly doubt though that you will be close to max even with OC'd 560TI's. I ran 460SCC's , with an old and hot i7 930 and even maxed out with everything going full I pulled no more than 480 from my wall. I ran this succesfully for 2 years on an HX650 (bronze rated PSU). The 560TI is a more powerful and more efficent GPU, that has the same TDP as my 460's did. So, if you actually got a meter to test what you pull from the wall, I am sure you will find its about the same as mine, though your Processor and such are much more efficent than my old one.

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

Old September 28, 2012, 12:07 PM

thanks a lot for your answers,so i'll be able to overclock my 560 ti's to 900 mhz..

EDIT i just found this http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages...review,14.html

so yes its 300W with SLI (full load) + 100W CPU +50W motherboard let's add 50 W for fans and stuff its 500 W MAX so yes,no prob to OC :) yay

Last edited by lelionmoddeur; September 28, 2012 at 04:20 PM.