Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Power Supplies (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/power-supplies/)
-   -   Yet another "will it run" query (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/power-supplies/56734-yet-another-will-run-query.html)

GT7R September 16, 2012 01:46 AM

Yet another "will it run" query
 
Although it actually does run well, but the PSU (Seasonic X-750) does get pretty hot and my question is whether should I consider upgrading it as I don't like running it close to it's limit. (Full specs in the drop down box, CPU is at 4.6)
Opinions will be very welcome :thumb:

Adzsask September 16, 2012 02:42 AM

My rig draws around the same amount of power, if not more, running it on an OCZ ZX 850, runs nice and cool, also draws air from the bottom of my case so could be part of the cool temps.

-Wolverine- September 16, 2012 03:19 AM

Maybe it's just filled with dust so it can't draw air to cool itself? Also as I can see that Antec has pretty bad PSU chamber.

GT7R September 16, 2012 05:06 AM

It's shiny clean (I clean my rig every couple of weeks) but yeah it doesn't have much of an airflow from the bottom, so I've installed it with the fan on top. My main concern is whether I'm fine wattage wise, because in the heat is an airflow problem then upgrading the unit won't help.

486 September 16, 2012 07:48 AM

Your PSU is not even loaded at 70%. Seasonic X can run contineously at 100%.
Unit gets hot due to, I suspect, hot air off your videocard. Your case and your videocard are not a good match. Higher airflow or lower TDP, your choice.

GT7R September 16, 2012 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 486 (Post 655814)
Your PSU is not even loaded at 70%. Seasonic X can run contineously at 100%.
Unit gets hot due to, I suspect, hot air off your videocard. Your case and your videocard are not a good match. Higher airflow or lower TDP, your choice.

I'd think so too, but I have arranged the airflow so that the front fan directly exhausts the heat from the front of the GPU out of the case, while the top fan is used as an intake (the CPU radiator is located on the rear exhaust and used as an intake, but it never spins above 1500~ RPM even under the most extreme load.

My concern was the wattage, and you've just verified my thoughts that the PSU has more than enough grunt for the setup, thanks :thumb:

enaberif September 16, 2012 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GT7R (Post 655827)
I'd think so too, but I have arranged the airflow so that the front fan directly exhausts the heat from the front of the GPU out of the case, while the top fan is used as an intake (the CPU radiator is located on the rear exhaust and used as an intake, but it never spins above 1500~ RPM even under the most extreme load.

My concern was the wattage, and you've just verified my thoughts that the PSU has more than enough grunt for the setup, thanks :thumb:

Your system is setup so verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry wrong and you wonder why your temps are high?

Front = Intake
Top = Intake
Rear = Exhaust

Need positive airflow ESPECIALLY if its a P180 mini case

GT7R September 16, 2012 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enaberif (Post 655832)
Your system is setup so verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry wrong and you wonder why your temps are high?

Front = Intake
Top = Intake
Rear = Exhaust

Need positive airflow ESPECIALLY if its a P180 mini case

For any standard configuration, you're absolutely right.
Thing is, the 6990 exhausts half of it's heat directly towards the front fan (there's like 7cm between the fan and the edge of the card). So why not exhaust the hot air directly out? While the top and rear fans are intakes so the pressure is positive... Heat tends naturally to go up I know, but then it would mean that the front intake will push the hot air of the card back into the case which doesn't seems logical to me... but obviously I can be wrong.

enaberif September 16, 2012 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GT7R (Post 655843)
For any standard configuration, you're absolutely right.
Thing is, the 6990 exhausts half of it's heat directly towards the front fan (there's like 7cm between the fan and the edge of the card). So why not exhaust the hot air directly out? While the top and rear fans are intakes so the pressure is positive... Heat tends naturally to go up I know, but then it would mean that the front intake will push the hot air of the card back into the case which doesn't seems logical to me... but obviously I can be wrong.

You want to push the air OUT not have it float around. Your creating weird turbulence in your case.

Bond007 September 16, 2012 01:10 PM

I agree with your fan config being odd. Hot air will rise, I would definitely have back and top exhaust and front intake.

Your power supply will be fine for those components IMO.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:29 PM.