Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Power Supplies (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/power-supplies/)
-   -   no earth, what to do? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/power-supplies/55973-no-earth-what-do.html)

taimoorali007 August 7, 2012 03:51 PM

no earth, what to do?

in my home, as it is old No Earth in my
house and i got gaming rig! The story
is as psu comes with 3pin cord and
when i plug in the cord in switch on
the button but pc remain off, case
gives me shock sometime and signal static like sound comes from psu! As
nothing is grounded so no use of 3pin! plz plz, help me, m getting crazy plz
help me to ground atleast my pc and
psu. Thnx

enaberif August 7, 2012 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taimoorali007 (Post 647225)
in my home, as it is old No Earth in my
house and i got gaming rig! The story
is as psu comes with 3pin cord and
when i plug in the cord in switch on
the button but pc remain off, case
gives me shock sometime and signal static like sound comes from psu! As
nothing is grounded so no use of 3pin! plz plz, help me, m getting crazy plz
help me to ground atleast my pc and
psu. Thnx

No earth?

Get a UPS ASAP.

Chareon August 7, 2012 04:07 PM

A UPS isn't going to protect anything if there is no ground wire.

Get and install a GFCI outlet for any devices requiring ground. These will be very good for protecting yourself from shock. Old house, Copper wire but no ground - Electrical Wiring Forum - GardenWeb

EDIT: Long term you should look into rewiring any outlets like the one where your computer is plugged in with a proper ground connection.

taimoorali007 August 7, 2012 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chareon (Post 647231)

Get and install a GFCI outlet for any devices requiring ground. These will be very good for protecting yourself from shock.

thnx, seems practical but i heard somewhere that connect case with ground tap with wire! Will that work? No ground this is not good son i'll be shifting and earth is there. But it is dangerous to run pc without earth?

enaberif August 7, 2012 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chareon (Post 647231)

Get and install a GFCI outlet for any devices requiring ground. These will be very good for protecting yourself from shock. Old house, Copper wire but no ground - Electrical Wiring Forum - GardenWeb

EDIT: Long term you should look into rewiring any outlets like the one where your computer is plugged in with a proper ground connection.

If there is no earth that generally means poor ground to the fuse box and if there is a poor or no ground to fuse box then how can you ground outlets?

Chareon August 7, 2012 04:24 PM

It's only dangerous really in the event of a surge. The system will run fine as long as nothing unexpected like lightning (or some other source of a power surge) happens.

There are more specifics relating to how surges would affect it, see quote here for a good description I found on another site.
Quote:

The surge protection function becomes less useful in the absence of a ground, though. It should still stop rapid spikes (which are blocked by inductors in series with the line and neutral conductors, no ground connection there) and surges between line and neutral (a MOV is connected between L and N with no ground there either).

What would worry me is the MOVs between line and ground, and between neutral and ground, to protect against common mode surges and surges on the neutral. Not only do these NOT function without a ground connection, but I can't see what stops them from coupling dangerous voltages onto the ungrounded "ground" conductor in the event of that type of surge.

I would be concerned about touching any metal parts of protected equipment which could become momentarily electrified when connected to this type of surge protector when a surge occurs, and the ground isn't really grounded.
EDIT: As for the rewiring, typically you drive a stake into the ground a set distance (check your local bylaws for what the requirement on that is), then run new wire to the outlets that contain all 3 wires so you can properly ground everything. Basically a major renovation project, but one that you can do in stages to each outlet as required if necessary. Might be worth hiring an electrician if you feel uncomfortable with doing the work yourself.

Perineum August 7, 2012 04:47 PM

Hire an electrician and get it done proper. Bad power makes computers do extremely weird things sometimes and it's impossible to troubleshoot.

stoanee August 7, 2012 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perineum (Post 647238)
Hire an electrician and get it done proper. Bad power makes computers do extremely weird things sometimes and it's impossible to troubleshoot.

werd ^^^.....bro-in-law damn near commited hari-kari before bad ground was identified.

taimoorali007 August 8, 2012 01:49 AM

Now m worried, could every component get damage due to static, i mean like psu and how to diagnose that is there something bad going on in my pc or everything's fine and arrange for electrician ASAP?

botat29 August 8, 2012 02:54 AM

I have many computers running from bars without the ground pins and I never encounter a problem. Of course I don't recommend to do so ,but your PC problem are not related to a missing ground.