Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 9, 2012, 04:03 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagath View Post
Im not sure where you're wiring Westom, but in North America "wall receptable safety ground", "earth ground" and "common ground" are all the same in house wiring. Hell, your neutral is connected via your breaker panel to ground as well. There is only one 'ground' in north america. Outside lines coming in to your house are only usually two wire; Two phase 120v, aka "210". Their is no "return line" per se, that goes outside the house since it is Alternating Current, and the ground connector (neutral, common, etc, etc) is your return line. You can wiki that to back it up.

:
Sagath on this one you are wrong, they are 3 wires coming from the transformer in my street to my house, 2 are insulates and 1 bare. As many trransformer, the one in the pole as 3 wires on the secondary, and it's on the one in the middle the neutral come from.

here a pic I just take from the transfo in my street

and here you can see on my house the 2 insulate wire and the bare one connected to the wire that go directly on the neutral bus in the breaker box

here a pic of a similar transfo I get on the net you see X2 in the middle have also the ground symbol under.

Last edited by botat29; August 9, 2012 at 04:15 PM.
Old August 9, 2012, 04:13 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by botat29 View Post
Sagath on this one you are wrong, they are 3 wires coming from the transformer in my street to my house, 2 are insulates and 1 is bare. As many trransformer, the one in the pole as 3 wire on the secondary, and it's on the one in the middle the neutral come from. I can take a pic if you don't believe but here a pic of a similar transfo I get on the net you see X2 in the middle have also the ground symbol under.

THAT TRANSFORMER IS CENTER TAP SPLIT PHASE

Primary Voltage; 2400~19,920V
Secondary Voltage: 120`480V

Last edited by KaptCrunch; August 9, 2012 at 04:23 PM.
Old August 9, 2012, 04:16 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaptCrunch View Post
THAT TRANSFORMER IS 3 PHASE 600V PRIMARY SECONDARY WITH SINGLE 240V

Sorry this is a single phase transfo here where I get the pic, you don't ground a phase on a 3 phases ,

single -phase distribution transformer (pole mounted,oil- immersed transformer) , Manufacturers from Everpower Electric Industries Co., Ltd.

spec :

Place of Origin:Guangdong China (Mainland)
Brand Name:Everpower
Model Number:5KVA to 500KVA
Usage:Power
Phase:Single
Coil Structure:Copper to Copper
Coil Number:1 or 2
Reference Standard::Exceeds ANSI Standards

Anyway it was just to show the ground sign, the one I take from my street is a 10 KW single phase and it as 3 secondary terminals

aside 3 phases will usually take 3 transfo and you have 4 wires coming to the building ( 3 hot and 1 neutral )

Last edited by botat29; August 9, 2012 at 04:23 PM.
Old August 9, 2012, 04:26 PM
Hall Of Fame

CORRECT about 3 phase has 3 transformers
Old August 9, 2012, 04:30 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Sigh Sorry OP. I'm trying here...

3 phase, is 3x 120 lines.

Hence 208v across any two phases.

You have two lines going in to your house because 1 phase is 120v, the 2nd phase is 120 volt, combined together it gives you 208v for your stove and dryer, etc.

Good try tho guys.

Three-phase electric power - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old August 9, 2012, 04:34 PM
Allstar

On the topic :

The OP mention in another post that he thing he have no ground because he feel electricity when he touch the computer, and what if it was the contrary, he may have a very good ground and what he feel is static electricity because he walk in a dry house with carpet and the case of the computer act as a ground. As I said in the other post ( and the OP laugh at it) I have many pc here running without ground ( not recommended ) and no one have a problem since many years. I Agree that a good UPS can save a PSU but I don't think a PC will not work because the voltage is not 100 % stable, from memmry I think a PSU can work from 90 volts to 250 volts, so in the case of the OP . on 220 volts, I will be surprise he voltage drop under 80 volts

To the OP; I think you are in the wrong direction, make sure first it's not static. And try with another PSU first.
Old August 9, 2012, 05:00 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

m agree with akg, guyz, I dont have knowledge about this but xperience is something enough to proof! I lost my Antec Psu which was okay, and after crappy input ac to my psu killed it after 4month! Now even i would own something 80plus platinum like AX1200i, i'll never believe it will protect my components and itself. And this definately made me to go for Ups and different protector about which i never felt importance. Sorry for bad grammar.

Quote:
On the topic :

The OP mention in another post that he thing he have no ground because he feel electricity when he touch the computer, and what if it was the contrary, he may have a very good ground and what he feel is static electricity because he walk in a dry house with carpet and the case of the computer act as a ground. As I said in the other post ( and the OP laugh at it) I have many pc here running without ground ( not recommended ) and no one have a problem since many years. I Agree that a good UPS can save a PSU but I don't think a PC will not work because the voltage is not 100 % stable, from memmry I think a PSU can work from 90 volts to 250 volts, so in the case of the OP . on 220 volts, I will be surprise he voltage drop under 80 volts

To the OP; I think you are in the wrong direction, make sure first it's not static. And try with another PSU first.
dude i tried with two diff. Brand psu, new one sometimes make sound like previous one, buzzin, and i checked evn if no earth, no current leakage in my socket, what thats, is static related to earth?

Guyz, after all, though everyone helping me but as per my issue, i think the final solution is correct the wiring but only good wiring will solve my problem or I need UPS after that? Cuz dont need backout, just protection, so my PSU can spend atleast 1year in my case :P :/

Suppose wiring is 100% okay now, but my grid volts drop from 220v to 160v min. and 5-10 volt difference after 1-2hours, Is my PSU able to fight against this or need something before PSU for that?

Last edited by taimoorali007; August 9, 2012 at 05:33 PM.
Old August 9, 2012, 05:16 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by taimoorali007 View Post
is static related to earth?
Of course it's related, if you accumulate static on your body and you touch a ground ( earth ) you will feel it..
Old August 9, 2012, 05:29 PM
Allstar

Quote:
from memory I think a PSU can work from 90 volts to 250 volts, so in the case of the OP . on 220 volts, I will be surprise he voltage drop under 80 volts
lol my memory is not to bad I check the spec of a AX1200 and it's "Universal AC input from 90~264V"

to the OP , I still think the ground ( earth ) have nothing to do with your problem and as some mention here, the light will dim a lot before a PC crash. The UPS will not solve your problem, that's my feeling, also are you sure it's the PSU that wine, some motherboard do so when the a setting is activated in the BIOS it's sound like Unp 2012 ( someone can help here I don't remember the exact name ) Can be the GPU too
Old August 9, 2012, 05:35 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
lol my memory is not to bad I check the spec of a AX1200 and it's "Universal AC input from 90~264V"

to the OP , I still think the ground ( earth ) have nothing to do with your problem and as some mention here, the light will dim a lot before a PC crash. The UPS will not solve your problem, that's my feeling, also are you sure it's the PSU that wine, some motherboard do so when the a setting is activated in the BIOS it's sound like Unp 2012 ( someone can help here I don't remember the exact name ) Can be the GPU too
My GPU whine I know, but could be a mobo too?, so thats why buzzing in headphones and disconnecting/conneting rapidly sometime?

Yea, I ran my Dual-Core for 3year without UPS on this type of AC, something should weird happen before PC dies. If UPS will not solve the issue, and what I need after wiring repaired?
Closed Thread