Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 8, 2012, 03:39 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by botat29 View Post
I have many computers running from bars without the ground pins and I never encounter a problem. Of course I don't recommend to do so ,but your PC problem are not related to a missing ground.

Hmm...Thnx but still waiting for humid days to pass away :)
Old August 8, 2012, 06:02 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by taimoorali007 View Post
Hmm...Thnx but still waiting for humid days to pass away
Wall receptacle safety ground is mostly for protecting humans. It does not earth a surge for many reasons including excessive impedance (ie 'more than 10 feet' long). Ignore all 'not safety grounded' receptacles. Worry about another ground that does the protection - earth ground.

Grounding anything inside a house only makes that appliance a best path to earth. A lightning strike, often far down the street to AC wires, is a direct strike 'incoming' to every appliance. Is every appliance damaged? Of course not. To have electricity means both an incoming AND an outgoing path to earth. Earthing any appliance only makes it an easiest appliance to damage.

Earth the surge; not an appliance. That means every incoming wire (including all three or more AC wires) makes a short connection to earth ground. Either directly (ie cable TV, satellite dish) to earth with a wire. Or via a 'whole house' protector (ie AC electric, telephone). Then a surge is harmlessly earthed BEFORE entering the building. Then a surge need not hunt for earth destructively via appliances.

Protection means hundreds of thousands of joules dissipate harmlessly outside the building. That's how protection is done in any facility that cannot have damage. Worry only about the earth ground that must be short (ie'less than 10 feet') from each utility wire to the one and only earthing electrode. The all so critically important single point earth ground.
Old August 8, 2012, 06:46 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Now m worried, could every component get damage due to static, i mean like psu and how to diagnose that is there something bad going on in my pc or everything's fine and arrange for electrician ASAP?
you didn't say where are having this issue of no ground?

usa, UK, europe 120 or 220 vac?

best use 2meter metal rod in earth or ground to metal drian pipe for grounding home
Old August 8, 2012, 07:30 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaptCrunch View Post
you didn't say where are having this issue of no ground?

usa, UK, europe 120 or 220 vac?

best use 2meter metal rod in earth or ground to metal drian pipe for grounding home

M in Pakistan, where Grid A/C is 220V!

If u guyz r thinking that i need earth for my protection, tahts not what i m talking about! I need protection for my PC components and wanna get rid of Static weirds sound for pc component like PSU!

I wanna stop that buzzing cuz m not sure will this damage my PSU or not.

hey! Wait wait, tell me that when i touch my side panel fan screw, buzzing gone from heaphone! Then when i remove my hand, again start buzzin. Whats that?

And is my rig in danger, plz help me. Orelse my pc will r.i.p and i'll never get my rig back again, m not like u guyz. Its n0t spamming m serious!

Last edited by Arinoth; August 9, 2012 at 09:46 AM.
Old August 8, 2012, 10:45 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
hey! Wait wait, tell me that when i touch my side panel fan screw, buzzing gone from heaphone! Then when i remove my hand, again start buzzin. Whats that?

And is my rig in danger, plz help me. Orelse my pc will r.i.p and i'll never get my rig back again, m not like u guyz. Its n0t spamming m serious!
By touching the metal case you are providing a "ground" for the case. Headphones/Speakers can hum because of poor grounding or a lack grounding. So this is a case where yes, a ground will almost certainly fix this issue.
Old August 8, 2012, 10:54 AM
F@H

My System Specs

For his body to ground it out or provide another path means its taking a lot of interference from elsewhere. Probably Really dirty power in the house right now, regardless of the house being grounded out or not.
I would honestly get a good UPS that can clear up the Line Voltage (Buck/Boost) and see if that helps.
If you have so much intereference that touching the metal of your case removes the humming, I wouldn't want to be running that computer.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old August 8, 2012, 11:08 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chareon View Post
By touching the metal case you are providing a "ground" for the case. Headphones/Speakers can hum because of poor grounding or a lack grounding. So this is a case where yes, a ground will almost certainly fix this issue.
should i tie myself with pc again?
What about other component, is there any thing to worry about?
Old August 8, 2012, 11:33 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
For his body to ground it out or provide another path means its taking a lot of interference from elsewhere. Probably Really dirty power in the house right now, regardless of the house being grounded out or not.
I would honestly get a good UPS that can clear up the Line Voltage (Buck/Boost) and see if that helps.
If you have so much intereference that touching the metal of your case removes the humming, I wouldn't want to be running that computer.

-ST
A UPS definitely can't hurt, and I honestly can't say what affect it would have on a poor ground when it is ungrounded itself.

It doesn't necessarily have to be dirty power however. It can be pretty technical, as it relates to how/if the system uses the ground for its 0V reference but his article while not specifically aimed at computers looks like it covers all the important bits about why grounding can be such a big deal with audio noise. Grounding and Shielding Audio Devices

taimoorali007 - it's possible that as Soultribunal mentioned you have dirty power coming in. A good UPS will typically correct for that, and dirty power can cause damage to electronics (depending how much it is fluctuating.) Power does vary normally however, and most moderns PSUs are actually pretty good at correcting any small peaks and dips. The (likely) symptom of no ground you are seeing of noise over the headphones is probably not anything extra to be concerned about, other than the lack of a ground in the first place.
Old August 8, 2012, 11:46 AM
Allstar

The 'buzz" is caused by leakage current. It doesn't take much to produce and a poor ground is the likely cause. If necessary you can ground the computer case to a ground rod or even a cold water pipe (metal not plastic). As stated above however a better option is to rewire if possible.
Old August 8, 2012, 11:52 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyteOwl View Post
The 'buzz" is caused by leakage current. It doesn't take much to produce and a poor ground is the likely cause. If necessary you can ground the computer case to a ground rod or even a cold water pipe (metal not plastic). As stated above however a better option is to rewire if possible.

Will this resolve??? Solution of static and and what if leakage! Humming is louder in headphones than PSU or m paranoid! :S
Closed Thread