Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 31, 2012, 11:34 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
Its actually thanks to a few people a long while back that I look so in depth at PSU's.

Thermaltake Toughpower Grand 1200W Review

See, just like my Silent Pro the TT you have has a questionable 3.3v Rail. It took me a while but after killing off a pair of Gifted SSD's I realized the PSU was the culprit, since SSD's it seem appear to be much more sensitive to Power issues than standard HDD's.

The unit might be 'Great' from certain standpoints but there are issues with the 1200W guys. Where as the same damn design for 750W was flawless, and had zero 3.3v rail problems.

Just things to learn.
I'm still learning each day.

-ST
In the event I do have issues,I will get another PSU right away. Of the myriad power supply units available,what brand would you suggest? I would want at least 1200 watts. Thanks a ton.
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5
Old July 31, 2012, 12:17 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slik View Post
In the event I do have issues,I will get another PSU right away. Of the myriad power supply units available,what brand would you suggest? I would want at least 1200 watts. Thanks a ton.
Ironically the Delta Unit out of your old Alienware was solid, just looked wierd because of it being made for an OEM vendor (Delta has some awesome units, and flawless soldering).

If I had to personally choose a 1200W I would opt for an Corsair AX1200 (Flextronics), Kingwins Lazer Series (Superflower I believe for OEM), ANtec HCP (Delta) Which are really doing well on the high end.

You may very well be perfectly fine with your TT unit, as I said they are getting better but they have a long way to go to win back confidence in the enthusiast circles.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old August 3, 2012, 09:48 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I just took a look at the Maximum PC "Ultra" PC build. A Cooler Master Cosmos 2 case etc. with the Toughpower Grand 1050w PSU. I would think Maximum PC would know what's best when they do their "Best of the best" and "Ultra" builds. Is the problem only with the 1200 watt units from Thermaltake? Why would Maximum PC put a TT Grand in one of their Ultra rigs? I guess I'm trying to justify my purchase of the 1200 watt unit. What do you think?
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5
Old August 3, 2012, 10:12 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slik View Post
I just took a look at the Maximum PC "Ultra" PC build. A Cooler Master Cosmos 2 case etc. with the Toughpower Grand 1050w PSU. I would think Maximum PC would know what's best when they do their "Best of the best" and "Ultra" builds. Is the problem only with the 1200 watt units from Thermaltake? Why would Maximum PC put a TT Grand in one of their Ultra rigs? I guess I'm trying to justify my purchase of the 1200 watt unit. What do you think?

Probably a sponsership thing, the best way to put these things together for the magazine would be to find sponsers. Again not saying the Unit is a doorstop or paperweight, just there are better for cheaper.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old August 3, 2012, 11:47 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
Probably a sponsership thing, the best way to put these things together for the magazine would be to find sponsers. Again not saying the Unit is a doorstop or paperweight, just there are better for cheaper.

-ST
You're probably right. I just thought you might find that interesting. If I do require another PSU however,I will take your advice. Thanks for your valued input.