Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 30, 2012, 09:35 AM
Rookie
F@H

Smile

Thank you guys for posting so soon! Stoanee, Bond and Soultribunal especially appreciate those links.
I think I lean toward that Corsair TX850M from ME being semi modular or this XFX PRO850 XXX edition Formerly reviewed as Black Ed. . its voltage regulation is nicer than the Core edition.

Originally having read this study and some of their earlier + JonnyGuru review I felt comfortable choosing the Coolermaster.
But now clearly the Corsair, XFX and silverstone are better buys with better cooling. Just because I am curious, is it that CM is hit or miss with their PSUs, change the oems, etc.?

Thank you for all your help. And Bond I am aware of being CPU limited, I don't intent to SLI with a lga775 MB.
This PSU is intended as the first part in complete upgrade, say to a 2500K or whatever is the best bang for the buck down the road.
And by then my 460 could use a change too.

Cheers,

Alex
Old July 30, 2012, 09:59 AM
F@H

My System Specs

No worries happy to help.
The issue is those are old reviews (3 years plus) on the Coolermaster side of things. They do improve slowly, but if you compare like for like current 2012 models there is no comparison. A lot of CM's stuff is done by Seventeam, which although they can make amazing units, CM never gets those from its OEM.

So at the end of the day I would rather steer people away from CM. Just to be safe.

The good news is even with a power hungry i7 and 2 460 + 1 GT430 at max draw I was only 450-500W range. So if you chose any of the PSU's we listed you are more than Safe.

-ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue View Post
Thank you guys for posting so soon! Stoanee, Bond and Soultribunal especially appreciate those links.
I think I lean toward that Corsair TX850M from ME being semi modular or this XFX PRO850 XXX edition Formerly reviewed as Black Ed. . its voltage regulation is nicer than the Core edition.

Originally having read this study and some of their earlier + JonnyGuru review I felt comfortable choosing the Coolermaster.
But now clearly the Corsair, XFX and silverstone are better buys with better cooling. Just because I am curious, is it that CM is hit or miss with their PSUs, change the oems, etc.?

Thank you for all your help. And Bond I am aware of being CPU limited, I don't intent to SLI with a lga775 MB.
This PSU is intended as the first part in complete upgrade, say to a 2500K or whatever is the best bang for the buck down the road.
And by then my 460 could use a change too.

Cheers,

Alex

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old July 30, 2012, 12:04 PM
Rookie
F@H

Ah see then, good reasoning. Providing I fill out the MIR perfect, the XFX 850W XXX is just $5 more than the Corsair and that old Coolermaster.
I have all but clicked the button to buy this XFX.

Thanks again everyone ;)
Old July 30, 2012, 04:11 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah I'd recommend the XFX XXX Ed. PSU's any day. They are manufactured by Seasonic, so you know you're getting a solid product. I run the 850W model, which is overkill for sure, but why not for an extra $5-$10? I can tell you that I've never had an issue with it, and it runs almost dead silent. Not to mention, single rail is a bonus in my books. All that wrapped up in the best value price tag around with a 5 year warranty, and it's a bit of a no brainer.
Old July 30, 2012, 05:43 PM
Rookie
F@H

Yeah man, cool that you have one, thanks for posting. If you don't mind, when and where did you buy it?
I wish it really was 119.99 without MIR cuz taxes and $10 for shipping kinda smarts [$170], but glad I picked modular and its silver at that price!

Pretty stoked actually, I would have liked if they were still neon green ! haha.
Old July 30, 2012, 08:25 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

XFX 850W PRO850W XXX Edition Single Rail ATX 12V 70A 24PIN ATX Modular Power Supply 80PLUS Silver - XFX - P1850BNLG9

Got it on sale for $99 quite a while back.
Old July 31, 2012, 07:02 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

No one here mentioned Thermaltake. Thermaltake preaches "quiet" and in my opinion they do build high quality and very quiet components. The Black Widow 850 watt goes for about $120. Check prices etc. at NCIX.
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5
Old July 31, 2012, 07:42 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slik View Post
No one here mentioned Thermaltake. Thermaltake preaches "quiet" and in my opinion they do build high quality and very quiet components. The Black Widow 850 watt goes for about $120. Check prices etc. at NCIX.
They are, getting better at chosing OEMs but there is a reason no one mentions them, like no one mentions Ultra.
When it comes to the OEM Platforms they are hit or Miss. For TT the Grandpower units they have they built a great 850W and then terrible 1250W.
Now the newest Toughpower actually have a decent CWT design, but that doesn't filter down the line for them I'm afraid. And, to top it off there units cost more than other options that are Better than they are.

In recent times they have gotten better but that Black Widow is a POS unit that is far to old of a platform to be even viable.
You would not see me with any of the older units in my builds. Ever.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

Old July 31, 2012, 09:10 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
They are, getting better at chosing OEMs but there is a reason no one mentions them, like no one mentions Ultra.
When it comes to the OEM Platforms they are hit or Miss. For TT the Grandpower units they have they built a great 850W and then terrible 1250W.
Now the newest Toughpower actually have a decent CWT design, but that doesn't filter down the line for them I'm afraid. And, to top it off there units cost more than other options that are Better than they are.

In recent times they have gotten better but that Black Widow is a POS unit that is far to old of a platform to be even viable.
You would not see me with any of the older units in my builds. Ever.

-ST
I have the TT Grand 1200w and have nothing but good to say about it. I was not aware of the lesser wattage units being inferior. Good info though. I learn something every day.
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5
Old July 31, 2012, 09:22 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slik View Post
I have the TT Grand 1200w and have nothing but good to say about it. I was not aware of the lesser wattage units being inferior. Good info though. I learn something every day.
Its actually thanks to a few people a long while back that I look so in depth at PSU's.

Thermaltake Toughpower Grand 1200W Review

See, just like my Silent Pro the TT you have has a questionable 3.3v Rail. It took me a while but after killing off a pair of Gifted SSD's I realized the PSU was the culprit, since SSD's it seem appear to be much more sensitive to Power issues than standard HDD's.

The unit might be 'Great' from certain standpoints but there are issues with the 1200W guys. Where as the same damn design for 750W was flawless, and had zero 3.3v rail problems.

Just things to learn.
I'm still learning each day.

-ST