Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 26, 2012, 10:48 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Because amps matter. plain and simple. Because how many amps are on the 12v rail is the difference between a good 600watt power supply and a bad one. There is more than just the basic wattage of a power supply to consider when buying and that is what I am getting at. I am trying to help the Op understand how to select the proper power supply in the future.

Uneducated buyers choose a cpu with more cores or more ghz and think it is automatically better. If you agree that that is stupid so is choosing a power supply on wattage alone. PSU manufactures list these specs because they are important. It isn't my fault if you do not want or understand how to read them.

Edit* If you would like to know more about the importance of the 12v rail this article is a good start. PC Power Supply Wattage

Last edited by tianfeng; July 26, 2012 at 11:07 PM.
Old July 27, 2012, 12:41 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Subjective obtained GPU power consumption = ~ 207 Watts the actual peek load wattage is 158 HWC list it at 188 so lets go with HWC (higher is always better) and the 6950's are not as hungry as most cards out now a days also his CPU is a little muncher also idle 97 and loaded at 161 and when I ran the calculator the one I posted in my first reply his system came out to around 500 .. I would still think about getting a better and bigger PSU , it has been said already you don't want to stress your gear .

Prolab you can't compare your system to his everything about your system screams more watts and your O/Ced. nice rig by the way how do you like the CHVF?
Old July 27, 2012, 04:11 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Actually it sounds like he knows more than you.. however your advice of a decent quality 750 watt PSU is sound as it will have enough amperage as well as wattage.. like tianfeng said..

I had a problem before where a 550 watt psu I had had enough wattage but because it was split in 3 rails the amperage was too low to power my old HD5770.. Which is what tianfeng was saying.
Old July 27, 2012, 05:36 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzzope View Post
Actually it sounds like he knows more than you.. however your advice of a decent quality 750 watt PSU is sound as it will have enough amperage as well as wattage.. like tianfeng said..

I had a problem before where a 550 watt psu I had had enough wattage but because it was split in 3 rails the amperage was too low to power my old HD5770.. Which is what tianfeng was saying.
I'm not trying to disagree with him that amps are useless...they are not usless. They are very important. What I am trying to clear up is his amount of power that he is saying that the 6050 uses. His own statement says " A 6950 pulls 38-40 amps on the 12volt". So going by this statment, to run 2 6950's in crossfire would need at least a 1000w PSU since most PSU's in that range have about 80 amps on the 12v line.

In the end, both Amps and Watts are important. But tianfeng's amp numbers are still wrong. Perused the article btw. Interesting and informative.

So to clear this up all the way. A PSU like a Corsair AX750, Seasonic X-760, Antec High Current Pro HPC-750 will do the job.

Last edited by Ravenor; July 27, 2012 at 05:42 AM.
Old July 27, 2012, 05:37 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I would honestly suggest getting something like an HX or AX750 or other equivelents out there.

My old rig (i7 930, 460 SLI) pulled when gaming on Eve 510w's maxed out (confirmed by APC , Kill-a-Watt, and Eaton UPS Tester)
Given that the 6950 is a little more power hungry (though not by much) so I would not want to be running it that close on a 600 V2 CX. They are more of a bugetary Corsair PSU anyways so although my HX650 lived up to the task I wouldn't want to strain the CX that much.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tianfeng View Post
It is just barely enough. A 6950 pulls 38-40 amps on the 12volt. a cx600 only has 40 amps on the 12v. Just enough. The gtx 570 for example says minimum 600watts but needs 42 amps in the 12v. These low end power supplies will run this stuff but for how long this is a bottom of the barrel psu running 300 dollar gpu. Why would you subject your card to this?
Quote:
Quote:
no. Not even close to enough amps on the 12v rail. I am surprised it is running 1 6950 with out a problem.
Sorry mate but going by your calculations 38-40 Amps drawn by a Card at 12v is 480W's which is WAY beyond the cards design spec. You're calculating the draw incorrectly and adding confusion to the fray.
A CX600 is more than capable of handling the non X-fire system. And if in doubt he can spend the $30 at a canadian tire and get a Kill-a-Watt to see his draw.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old July 27, 2012, 09:35 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

ok so I guess I wrote pulls when I meant minimum requirement. I used the nvidia 570 because it clearly lists both amps and watts in the required psu description. And the ax 750 is a good psu, also the tx 850 will cf 6950. Silverstone has good psu's as well. The reason the cx series aren't great is because they have weak 12v rails.
Old July 27, 2012, 10:36 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
ok so I guess I wrote pulls when I meant minimum requirement. I used the nvidia 570 because it clearly lists both amps and watts in the required psu description. And the ax 750 is a good psu, also the tx 850 will cf 6950. Silverstone has good psu's as well. The reason the cx series aren't great is because they have weak 12v rails.
They are budget yet, though the CX is more than capable of powering a Single Card configuration of his setup. It has 40Amps.

Even bumping up to a HX650 will actually give 52A on the 12V rail, which should be plenty for CF on his setup. Espically since the new HX are now Gold Cert with a tweaked seasonic OEM.

That or Silverstones Strider Plus, Antecs HCG Series (Delta is one of the top tier OEM's out there). Good choices, solid units.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old July 27, 2012, 10:38 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodystumps View Post
Prolab you can't compare your system to his everything about your system screams more watts and your O/Ced. nice rig by the way how do you like the CHVF?
[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
Your right, he can't compare it. But ive given him/her a real life ball park figure to keep in mind.

Its great like its predecessor, stable and OC friendly. If i would've known before hand what a flop BD was, i would've kept CHIV instead of upgrading to the CHV.
-Swiffy MCP35x X2, (2) Aphacool UT60 480 rad, Heatkiller rev. 3.0, i7 3930k @ 4.6 Ghz, 16 GB G.SKILL F3, Asus Rampage IV Extreme, XFX R9 290 w/ XPSC WB, Crucial M4 128GB & 240 GB Intel 530, (5) 3 TB Toshiba Drive, Corsair AX1200, Win 7 Ult 64-bit

HTPC Rig:
-G3258 @ Stock, Asrock Z97 Pro 4, Gigabyte 270x, 500 GB WD Black, (5) 2 TB WD Green, (1) 3 TB Toshiba HD, (1) 2 TB Samsung F4, Fractal Design R3, Corsair HX620 PS, Win 7 Ult 64-bit