Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 25, 2012, 07:56 AM
F@H

My System Specs

That's unfortunate if I'll need 2, though better safe then sorry.

It's mainly the server I want protected as I think a power surge or two has made it kill a HDD or two and potentially screwed with the motherboard slightly. I was figuring the modem/router/switch as keep internet/network access as I shut down (seeing as I remotely connect to my server).

Main PC is not as much of a massive concern, though probably would be during a single player game or the sorts like that (but life goes on really, not the end of the world).

The TV probably isn't required, as well it's off 90% of the time, and if the TV is on, my main PC is off. I'd again need my 2 monitors so i can see what the hell i'm doing to shut it down manually.

I found out something interesting enough though, my HTPC that has it's own power brick must have a slight charge it stores or it doesn't pull the full load as it was the only device that was no effected/did not turn off when the brown out occured.
Old June 25, 2012, 07:27 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Glad I saw this thread, helped me find this Opti-Ups DS1500B. I think that article has a review of the the unit JD talked about.

Strongly considering getting it if I can find it south of $500. Really like that it "filters" the power coming from the grid. Only concern is the noise.
Old June 25, 2012, 07:41 PM
F@H

My System Specs

APC BACK-UPS RS 1500VA 865W 10 Outlet 420J RJ-45 Protection - AMERICAN POWER CONVERSION - BR1500G

Cyberpower CP1500PFCLCD 1500VA 900W PFC UPS AVR GreenPower LCD Pure Sine Wave Output Serial USB - CyberPower - CP1500PFCLCD

Now I am just posting the high end models (VA/Wattage) but if you go with either of these types they are well worth it.
You cannot daisy chain units, the only other things you can do is add EBM's to the models that accept them to increase Run Time.
Never run without, for 3 months on my new APC's I have had 227 Recorded On-Battery Events.
That just goes to tell you how much stress my UPS's are saving my PSU and units plugged in.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old June 26, 2012, 04:07 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Not looking to daisy chain units, but have more then the 10 ports as some devices I have don't use a lot of power, just I have several of them and wanted to try to get them all onto one unit.
Old June 26, 2012, 08:36 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
Not looking to daisy chain units, but have more then the 10 ports as some devices I have don't use a lot of power, just I have several of them and wanted to try to get them all onto one unit.
Split the units, as almost every UPS available has only so many ports dedicated to Battery backup with the other set being Surge. Heck even on my 3000K VA unit there are only 6 15A NEMA Ports to use.

For smaller stuff you can get the cheap units like a EATON 3105 or 5110 as an option.
JUst use the units I Linked for the bigger things that require a decent runtime.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

Old August 8, 2012, 07:37 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Hi guys,

I just ordered an APC Back-UPS Pro 1500 (BR1500G) from ncix. However, I've found a few reviews stating that the surge protection feature on these units aren't that great at all, and that I should actually plug the UPS itself into a surge protector if I want to protect my PC from power surges. Is this true?

Or would I be better off looking at the CyberPower PFC series (e.g. Cyberpower CP1500PFCLCD 900Watt)?

FYI, my PSU is 750W, and I plan on connecting the PC, LCD, and cable model into the UPS.

Thanks!
Photography/Gaming build: i7-4770K, NH-D14, Z87 Sabertooth, 16GB Ripjaws X, GTX 780 OC DirectCU II 3GB, M500 480GB, Caviar Black 2TB, Dual Red 4TBx2 (RAID 1), XFX Pro 850W 80+ Gold, Graphite Series 600T SE White
HTPC build: i5-750, Hyper 212+, P7P55D Pro, 8GB Ripjaws X, R6970 DirectCU II 2GB, Caviar Black 640GB/2TB, Caviar Green 3TB, Seagate Barracuda 3TB, Strider Plus 750W, CM 690 II Advanced
Mobile Media: Asus Transformer Infinity 32GB w/ keyboard dock
Old August 8, 2012, 08:42 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakage.shinga View Post
Hi guys,

I just ordered an APC Back-UPS Pro 1500 (BR1500G) from ncix. However, I've found a few reviews stating that the surge protection feature on these units aren't that great at all, and that I should actually plug the UPS itself into a surge protector if I want to protect my PC from power surges. Is this true?

Or would I be better off looking at the CyberPower PFC series (e.g. Cyberpower CP1500PFCLCD 900Watt)?

FYI, my PSU is 750W, and I plan on connecting the PC, LCD, and cable model into the UPS.

Thanks!
The surge supression on these units and the AVR Is perfectly fine. I have the 1000, 1300, 1500. We use them as well on critical systems in Telecom (For Hospitals) and they work as intended. Its a perfect Blend of of Cost to Feature ratio.

Nothing is 100% not even the Cyber, EATON, Emerson, Ultra, Opti. I've used them all.
Power Quality is 30% of my Full time Job these days..

-ST