Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 15, 2012, 12:15 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Default pico psu/ small sized psu help part 2.

okay so my m2 psu i won for a $1 on ebay worked fine for my atom in an xbox hd dvd drive but what i need is to figure out what psu im going to use for my 360 case mod. Right i need to figure out is that can a pico psu 160xt with the 192w psu can power up the following:

amd a4-3400
ecs fm1 a75-m2 matx
asus hd 7750
1 stick of samsung udimm 1.35v ram
m4 64gb ssd
1 noctua/ super flim 80mm fan
*maybe a dvd slot drive*

I know the the 7750 can in theory only use UP to 80w as its running all its power from the pci lane, but from all the reviews i have read it uses ~42w at load, just a couple during idle. The a4-3400 is a 65w chip, and from this review, the entire fm1 setup consumed just 71w, so with the 2 most power hungry things in my computer, they will consume around 110w. That should leave with me enough wattage for an ssd, fan, mobo and dvd drive. But the question is it okay? I know pico psu's have extremely high efficiency rates (93%) so i should be able to run it right? the 192w bar is i believe 16.5A, 192w max load, the pico 160xt is rated for 160 continueos and up to 200w peak, so again with my crude estimates it should be fine.

If the pico is not enough my second option was to look at buying a small sfx/tfx like psu, the one i had in mind where any of these 5 (the link is a comparsion of 5 psu's i chose):

Newegg.ca - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

I took the 5 psu's that can actually fit inside my xbox 360 case, so thats why i chose those 5, please do not try to show me the silverstone 450w sfx which i would love but have no way of fitting that in with a gpu inside though, so the shorter the psu the better. Im actually quite interested in one's thoughts about the hec, fsp220, and fsp270w psu's. My next question about them was regarding the 20+4pin connector they have, will that even work with my ecs fm1 board which will require a 24pin and a 4pin connector?

Thanks for the read guys and any help is appreciated.
Old June 15, 2012, 08:50 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Go the simplest method - undervolt. Lower your voltage at the minimum clock speeds you want/need until you can detect instability. Check SPCR to see how much TDP you can shave off of different architectures.
Old June 15, 2012, 02:19 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

was going to undervolt it as much as i could, i know this sounds silly but is there a way to just disable the gpu part of the apu? i know it shuts off when a discrete gpu is detected that is better than it, but is there a way to have it turned off from bios so maybe i can save a good 10-30w, anyone know about that?