Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 6, 2008, 11:35 PM
Rookie

Default Mushkin XP-800AP Anyone tested it? Heard comments?

I guess I tend to like Mushkin products in general, the looks and how helpful the staff over at their forums are (Greg&Mike), so I've been trying to get a bit of info about their new PSU but havent really come across any reviews so far. From what I saw it seems you can switch between quad 12v rails at 20a each...or turn all that into a single rail using some sort of switch? Does it work? How efficient is it..etc.

If anyone has first hand experience with one of those PSU, i'd love to hear about it..because the price is very tempting. Its not even in the weekly specials but retails for only 159.99 (well 159.99 = 189.99 minus 30$ mir, and that price seems pretty good..Its going for 220$ at newegg for example) at NCIX right now.
Old April 7, 2008, 04:45 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

All right, where do I start.

First of all that whole switching between multiple to a single +12V rail is really nothing more than a gimmick. It doesn't matter if the power supply is a $500 Silverstone Zeus 1200W or a $160 Mushkin; if the rails are laid out correctly, there woud be no reason to have a switch other than fancy marketing mumbo jumbo.

Next of all is the unit itself. From what I have seen of the interior, it looks like a typical 800W Topower build with pretty much the same internals as the OLDER BFG 800W:

BFG 800W Power Supply Review

My thoughts: it will have high ripple the closer it gets to its spec'd output, be able to put out 800W and that's about it. I just wish Mushin would have gone with something a bit different on this one...
Old April 7, 2008, 07:53 AM
Rookie

Well damn thats too bad, i'll still cross my fingers and hope a review comes out about it and proves that its actually much better than expected :P. But I wont hold my breath because Im guessing after reviewing so many PSUs you probably know what you're talking about! So...thanks for letting me know :) I was just one click away. My current PSU isnt really dying anyway, although I've noted some very slight changes in the voltage and as Im pushing it closer to the limit it got a bit louder..But I still have time and its not like its breaking down either.
Old April 7, 2008, 08:33 AM

What is your current PSU?
Old April 7, 2008, 08:59 AM
Allstar

btw you the same SKYMTL on the NCIX forums???
Old April 7, 2008, 09:21 AM
Rookie

Its a Mushkin XP-650... Since my last upgrade, i've been tweaking my memory, voltages and OCing etc.. For the first time a few days ago I noticed my +12v dipping down to 11.97 when under full load (edit..Make that even light/medium loads heh, I just checked) +5v hovering between 4.95 and 4.97 and +3.3v at 3.28 according to Everest... I can now hear my PSU, Im not sure if its because I increased the load on it by a lot or if its because my new setup is more silent..(Actually I guess its a combination of both).
Old April 7, 2008, 09:23 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

It is true topower builds this but Brian worked hard on this one to make it a decent enthusiast PSU. This is also the PSU used in joe_cool and no_name's world record 3d runs at cebit with 2x 3870x2. If it can be used for WR runs of vmodded cards at crazy voltage, I cant see it being THAT bad. 64A on 12v is pretty good IMO.

I dont have one either so I can just post results of the cebit WRs above. Its not cool to write it off without seeing one or any tests.
Old April 7, 2008, 10:02 AM
Mushkin Rep.

This PSU rocks, this switching from a PC P&C 750W.

Here is my testing of it.

NCIX FORUMS - XP-800AP Pictures and Testing - Mushkin XP-800AP ATX 12V 64A 24PIN ATX P...

Maybe you missed that post @ ncix?

Anyway, this psu is powering my system. Since these video cards use more then the 3870x2's power wise with a overclock quad and all those other components. (850W atleast you'd recommend)

This psu is silent, quieter then 655 pumps. But hope you can get a review sample and do your own testing.

Test system
1 - Q6600 at 3.6Ghz 1.5v bios
2 - HD2900XT at 850/999 1.2v bios in Crossfire
1 - Asus Maximus Forumula SE
Updated - 6 250GB raid 0
Updated - Mushkin Redline XP2-8000 2x2GB at 1080Mhz 5-5-5-12
6 - 120MM medium speed Yate Loon Fans
1 - 120MM high rpm fan
2 - Swiftech MCP 655 Pumps on full
1 - Auzentech X-FI Prelude
1 - Intel Pro PT PCI-E 1x Network Card
1 - Pioneer DVD R-W
4 - USB Devices
1 - USB Hard Drive , usb powered (test that 5v rail)
No Power Consumption Components
1 - Mountain Mods Duality Case Black
2 - ThermoChill PA 120.3 Rad's
2 - Swiftech Micro Res

Last edited by MushkinGreg; April 7, 2008 at 10:26 AM.
Old April 7, 2008, 10:40 AM

I never said this PSU was bad or anything along those lines but it is built on the same platform as the previously-mentioned Topower unit which DOES say alot. Topower has been hit and miss (a point which I have discussed with them at GREAT length) and this platform has unforunately not been one of their better ones of late. Sure, it'll hold voltages like no-one's business and output 800W but it is the ripple measurements where it falls flat.

Maybe some major changes have been made but what I can tell you is that many of the pre-release ideas which were floated about beefing up the innards look to have been discarded.

Then again, all I have is this interior shot to go by....

Quick Peek at New Mushkin 800 Watt PS - Xtreme CPU

Can you confirm that this is what the interior looks like?
Old April 7, 2008, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldonko View Post
I dont have one either so I can just post results of the cebit WRs above. Its not cool to write it off without seeing one or any tests.
No one is writing it off at all. Since we haven't seen any tests by the usual suspects (HardOCP, Techgage, etc.) the only way people can judge it is by looking at past units using the same platform & same components.

It could be that Mushkin made some serious changes which were for the better. We just can't know for sure. The OP asked for an estimate of what this PSU was capable of and I supplied my OPINION based on interior shots which is all we can really go by at this time.