Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 30, 2012, 10:25 PM
Rookie

Default Uh oh... will my Antec Phantom 500 handle this?

So I finally scrimped and saved enough money and bought the parts to make an (almost) entirely new computer, and only now that they arrive tomorrow have I thought about the power supply. My plan was to keep some parts from my original computer, and one of them was the Antec Phantom 500 psu, but now I'm wondering if it will handle the new load. Here's what the new setup will be:

Motherboard: Asus P8Z68 Deluxe/Gen3
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 OC
CPU: Intel I5 2400
RAM: 2 x 4GB DDR3-1866

I'm keeping my two 320GB SATA hard drives and it's all going in my old Antec Nine Hundred enclosure. I will NOT be overclocking.

A couple of the power calculators online have told me I should be okay based on wattage, but it's my understanding that it's the amperage that counts. I'm not sure how to calculate that, and I'm afraid I don't even know how to tell exactly what numbers I should be looking at on the Phantom specs.

So, will my current PSU cut the mustard, or should I refrain from installing the parts for another two or three months (yes it WILL take that long) until I can afford a new PSU?
Old April 30, 2012, 10:56 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Yes, a 500w psu should handle it, but I'd say yours is probably near the end of it's reliable life span. I'd make it a priority to replace it, as when PSU's die they tend to take other expensive parts with them.
Old April 30, 2012, 11:01 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
Yes, a 500w psu should handle it, but I'd say yours is probably near the end of it's reliable life span. I'd make it a priority to replace it, as when PSU's die they tend to take other expensive parts with them.
After researching this subject in an admittedly mad panic I'd already decided that a new PSU would be next on my shopping list. Like I said though, it'll be a little while still before I can manage it (pesky kids and their insistence on being fed), but as long as the Phantom holds out for another couple months I'll be happy.

Of course now that I've committed that statement to text I fully expect the Phantom to go WHOOMF the first time I turn it on. :P
Old May 1, 2012, 05:32 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post

^^^Agreed.
Desktop: Antec Three Hundred, Z77-D3H, 3570K undervolt @4.1ghz with Zalman Optima Cooler, Corsair Vengeance 2x4gb@1866mhz, HD 6950(unlocked shaders and OC'd), Bitfenix Fury 750w, WD Black 1TB, Intel 530 120GB
Away from home light Gamer: Acer Aspire 15.6", A8-3500m undervolt and OC to 2Ghz, 2x4gb Corsair Vengeance, Crucial M500 240gb
Old May 1, 2012, 10:14 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneiros42 View Post
After researching this subject in an admittedly mad panic I'd already decided that a new PSU would be next on my shopping list. Like I said though, it'll be a little while still before I can manage it (pesky kids and their insistence on being fed), but as long as the Phantom holds out for another couple months I'll be happy.

Of course now that I've committed that statement to text I fully expect the Phantom to go WHOOMF the first time I turn it on. :P
It should still power it up okay , but its a good idea to get it replaced. Being Antec it should be a Delta platform inside, which are well built.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old May 3, 2012, 03:15 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the responses, my computer is alive and well with a distinct lack of explodeyness.