Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Power Supplies (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/power-supplies/)
-   -   Uh oh... will my Antec Phantom 500 handle this? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/power-supplies/53827-uh-oh-will-my-antec-phantom-500-handle.html)

Oneiros42 April 30, 2012 09:25 PM

Uh oh... will my Antec Phantom 500 handle this?

So I finally scrimped and saved enough money and bought the parts to make an (almost) entirely new computer, and only now that they arrive tomorrow have I thought about the power supply. My plan was to keep some parts from my original computer, and one of them was the Antec Phantom 500 psu, but now I'm wondering if it will handle the new load. Here's what the new setup will be:

Motherboard: Asus P8Z68 Deluxe/Gen3
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 OC
CPU: Intel I5 2400
RAM: 2 x 4GB DDR3-1866

I'm keeping my two 320GB SATA hard drives and it's all going in my old Antec Nine Hundred enclosure. I will NOT be overclocking.

A couple of the power calculators online have told me I should be okay based on wattage, but it's my understanding that it's the amperage that counts. I'm not sure how to calculate that, and I'm afraid I don't even know how to tell exactly what numbers I should be looking at on the Phantom specs.

So, will my current PSU cut the mustard, or should I refrain from installing the parts for another two or three months (yes it WILL take that long) until I can afford a new PSU?

SugarJ April 30, 2012 09:56 PM

Yes, a 500w psu should handle it, but I'd say yours is probably near the end of it's reliable life span. I'd make it a priority to replace it, as when PSU's die they tend to take other expensive parts with them.

Oneiros42 April 30, 2012 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SugarJ (Post 625379)
Yes, a 500w psu should handle it, but I'd say yours is probably near the end of it's reliable life span. I'd make it a priority to replace it, as when PSU's die they tend to take other expensive parts with them.

After researching this subject in an admittedly mad panic I'd already decided that a new PSU would be next on my shopping list. Like I said though, it'll be a little while still before I can manage it (pesky kids and their insistence on being fed), but as long as the Phantom holds out for another couple months I'll be happy.

Of course now that I've committed that statement to text I fully expect the Phantom to go WHOOMF the first time I turn it on. :P

Bond007 May 1, 2012 04:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SugarJ (Post 625379)

^^^Agreed.

Soultribunal May 1, 2012 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oneiros42 (Post 625380)
After researching this subject in an admittedly mad panic I'd already decided that a new PSU would be next on my shopping list. Like I said though, it'll be a little while still before I can manage it (pesky kids and their insistence on being fed), but as long as the Phantom holds out for another couple months I'll be happy.

Of course now that I've committed that statement to text I fully expect the Phantom to go WHOOMF the first time I turn it on. :P

It should still power it up okay , but its a good idea to get it replaced. Being Antec it should be a Delta platform inside, which are well built.

-ST

Oneiros42 May 3, 2012 02:15 PM

Thanks for the responses, my computer is alive and well with a distinct lack of explodeyness.