Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 23, 2012, 01:58 PM
Top Prospect

Default Best value UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply)?

I need a new unit for my computer. I'm currently using an APC 900 VA / 540W UPS and I'm looking for an upgrade.

ME is selling the Cyberpower CP1350AVRLCD 1350VA for $139.99

Cyberpower CP1350AVRLCD 1350VA GreenPower UPS Battery Backup w/ 8 Outlets, Surge Protected, LCD at Memory Express

Ncix is selling the Cyberpower CP1500AVRLCD for $174.99

Cyberpower CP1500AVRLCD 1500VA 900W UPS 8 Outlet 1500 Joules AVR LCD RJ11/RJ45 & 1 USB Serial Black - CyberPower - CP1500AVRLCD

My current setup is a Core i5 2500K, 16GB RAM, Z68 mobo, Radeon 6870, and 3x 22" LCDs.

Can someone tell me if the prices for both of those UPS are the lowest it's ever been? I'm leaning toward Cyberpower because of the good reviews those units have and they seem to be of better value than APC's units. Which unit will give me the best value? The price difference of $35 isn't a lot, but I rather save it if I don't need the extra power and whatever feature the CP1500 unit have.
Old April 23, 2012, 02:04 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

While those are good products, you can get equivalent APC units for similar price points. The 1500VA APC unit sells for ~$170 (IIRC) at my local Costco.
Old April 23, 2012, 02:42 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keywork View Post
While those are good products, you can get equivalent APC units for similar price points. The 1500VA APC unit sells for ~$170 (IIRC) at my local Costco.

That is the Back-UPS 1500 and here in Edmonton it sells for $149.99 at Costco. I have one for my main machine and it has done its job well.

Old April 23, 2012, 04:00 PM
F@H

My System Specs

The Back UPS pro's are really nice units.

Cyber power however has been doing a great job on there new units as well getting as close as possible to true sine wave output (not as important in a 120v enviroment).

Cyberpower CP1500PFCLCD 1500VA 900W PFC UPS AVR GreenPower LCD Pure Sine Wave Output Serial USB - CyberPower - CP1500PFCLCD

Something worth checking out.
Otherwise,

APC BACK-UPS RS 1500VA 865W 10 Outlet 420J RJ-45 Protection - AMERICAN POWER CONVERSION - BR1500G

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old April 24, 2012, 01:06 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaine View Post
That is the Back-UPS 1500 and here in Edmonton it sells for $149.99 at Costco. I have one for my main machine and it has done its job well.
Does it have Sine Wave output?
Old April 24, 2012, 01:07 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
The Back UPS pro's are really nice units.

Cyber power however has been doing a great job on there new units as well getting as close as possible to true sine wave output (not as important in a 120v enviroment).

Cyberpower CP1500PFCLCD 1500VA 900W PFC UPS AVR GreenPower LCD Pure Sine Wave Output Serial USB - CyberPower - CP1500PFCLCD

Something worth checking out.
Otherwise,

APC BACK-UPS RS 1500VA 865W 10 Outlet 420J RJ-45 Protection - AMERICAN POWER CONVERSION - BR1500G

-ST
Is it worth the premium to pay for a true sine wave output UPS? What kind of advantages am I getting? Are those the lowest prices the units have been priced at?
Old April 24, 2012, 01:13 PM
MVP

My System Specs

As an aside if you have really important items on that UPS I would recommend that you replace the battery every 2 years since that is what my experience shows is the lifespan of these APC batteries.
Old April 24, 2012, 01:32 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsquare View Post
Is it worth the premium to pay for a true sine wave output UPS? What kind of advantages am I getting? Are those the lowest prices the units have been priced at?
Some Power Supplies like Enermax have been known to have issues when the UPS goes to battery if it is not True Sine wave, though that is less of an issue because we are 120V here. Its something to do with it being Active PFC in the power supplies.

That being said, its not like you will be running them on battery all the time, they are on-line not line interactive units so.

SOme people feel it is important enough to pay for, others don't.
I've used both in my house and besides a little bit of noise out of the filtering stage on my PSU"s they have both worked fine.

The BACK UPS is a stepped approx to a sine wave, the Cyberpower is almost a true sine wave.
A SMart APC UPS would be Pure Sine wave.

End of the day, computers are somewhat sensitive to these fluxuations but not enough to really justifiy the highest end Unit (get midrange ones instead). Unless you have a server at home, then I would do it.

Also worthy of note though, the APC units have some of the best software I've seen for UPS's

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

Last edited by Soultribunal; April 24, 2012 at 01:55 PM.
Old April 24, 2012, 01:56 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
Some Power Supplies like Enermax have been known to have issues when the UPS goes to battery if it is not True Sine wave, though that is less of an issue because we are 120V here. Its something to do with it being Active PFC in the power supplies.

That being said, its not like you will be running them on battery all the time, they are on-line not line interactive units so.

SOme people feel it is important enough to pay for, others don't.
I've used both in my house and besides a little bit of noise out of the filtering stage on my PSU"s they have both worked fine.

The BACK UPS is a stepped approx to a sine wave, the Cyberpower is almost a true sine wave.
A SMart APC UPS would be Pure Sine wave.

End of the day, computers are somewhat sensitive to these fluxuations but not enough to really justifiy the highest end Unit (get midrange ones instead). Unless you have a server at home, then I would do it.

Also worthy of note though, the APC units have some of the best software I've seen for UPS's

-ST
How are the two units that I mentioned in the op? I think that's my ideal price range right now. I don't know if those are the lowest prices the two units have been priced at. I like having an external LCD. It does make it easier to get the important information right away.
Old April 24, 2012, 02:00 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsquare View Post
How are the two units that I mentioned in the op? I think that's my ideal price range right now. I don't know if those are the lowest prices the two units have been priced at. I like having an external LCD. It does make it easier to get the important information right away.
So I should use the sale price of those units for an idea of your budget then?

They are older Cyberpower platforms. I still think getting there newest one (Cyberpower) would be ideal, or the Pro from APC.

APC BACK-UPS Pro 1000 Power Saving Uninterruptible Power Supply 1000VA 600W - AMERICAN POWER CONVERSION - BR1000G

Cyberpower CP1000PFCLCD 1000VA 600W PFC UPS AVR GreenPower LCD Pure Sine Wave Output Serial USB - CyberPower - CP1000PFCLCD

My SLI setup on the above mentioned units had a run time of 18min and that is with an older powerhungry i7 + 2 GTX460SC's. and a dozen other things in.

They should be more than enough for your setup. The front LCD Is awesome.

-ST