Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 11, 2012, 08:20 PM
F@H

My System Specs

The newer MarkIII's are the only ones out of all of OCZ's stable I would consider.
Only becaues I have seen the units to be a bit better quality. Soone I think OCZ will finally have the crap OEM's out of the way, they are getting better. But when in doubt, Silverstone or Corsair.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old April 12, 2012, 01:12 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1lk1 View Post
As of late, there are MANY surprises out there when looking for a PSU. For a random example, there are ALOT of Corsair Builder series failures and I don't deny OCZ is utter crap. PC P&C seems to be getting positive reviews from Johnny Guru, but that is not to say they are what they used to be.

When in doubt, Seasonic is the way to go, no matter what anyone says.
Yea well the cx series is not a good PSU. You just need to look at the price and the 12v rail power. TX HX and AX are still awesome. GS is so so. I still see people buying cx 500's with 6950's because the box says minimum 500watts and than wondering with they have problems.
Old April 18, 2012, 03:28 AM
MVP

My System Specs

There are a few power supplies that are ever bit as good as the new PC&Cooling power supplies .But they still have some good ones.It is I just had very bad luck with a old OCZ power suplies and now shy away from them.
Intel-i7-3820+Corsair H-100+Gigabyte X79-UD5+16g G.Skill 1666DDR3+256g Crucial-SSD+1-3TB Seagate+2-1TB-Samsung+1-640g- WesternDigtal+SLI-ASUS DIRECT CU II GTX-670+LG-12x Blurner+Logtech G9x-mouse+G-110-keyboard+Driving Force GT Wheel+Pioneer VSX-1020K+Polk Audio Speakers+LG-50"Plasma PM6700+Antec-P280+XFX 850w PRO Semi-Modular
Old June 12, 2012, 11:55 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I don't know who is makeing the 950watt PC&Power cooling ,but it comes with a 7 year warranty so it can't be all bad and the reviews I have seen on it look decent .Plus the price is hard to beat for a 1000watt power supply.I just did'nt want to pay $300 for another power supply when I think the 950 Mark II PC&Power Cooling should do the job .I want be running it as hard as my Cooler Master 1100UCP had to work with three overclocked GTX-470's and a i7-920 that was over clocked to 4.2gigs .I could tell it was drawing some big power when running benchmarks.This time I am going for quietness .I bought a Antec 280 and put all SiLent X fans in it . I have a Corsair H-100 on my i7-3820.I bought a 256gig SSD drive for my boot drive and a ASUS GTX-670 with the dual fans so it is real quiet even runninthe fans at 100% which I don't need to.
Intel-i7-3820+Corsair H-100+Gigabyte X79-UD5+16g G.Skill 1666DDR3+256g Crucial-SSD+1-3TB Seagate+2-1TB-Samsung+1-640g- WesternDigtal+SLI-ASUS DIRECT CU II GTX-670+LG-12x Blurner+Logtech G9x-mouse+G-110-keyboard+Driving Force GT Wheel+Pioneer VSX-1020K+Polk Audio Speakers+LG-50"Plasma PM6700+Antec-P280+XFX 850w PRO Semi-Modular
Old June 13, 2012, 12:04 AM
Rookie

Long warranty doesn't always mean it's that great imo...

Build it with cheap enough components that you make really good margin, then it doesn't matter if a few people send them back. Just ship them a new one.
Old June 13, 2012, 09:28 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmorejohn46 View Post
I don't know who is makeing the 950watt PC&Power cooling ,but it comes with a 7 year warranty so it can't be all bad and the reviews I have seen on it look decent .Plus the price is hard to beat for a 1000watt power supply.I just did'nt want to pay $300 for another power supply when I think the 950 Mark II PC&Power Cooling should do the job .I want be running it as hard as my Cooler Master 1100UCP had to work with three overclocked GTX-470's and a i7-920 that was over clocked to 4.2gigs .I could tell it was drawing some big power when running benchmarks.This time I am going for quietness .I bought a Antec 280 and put all SiLent X fans in it . I have a Corsair H-100 on my i7-3820.I bought a 256gig SSD drive for my boot drive and a ASUS GTX-670 with the dual fans so it is real quiet even runninthe fans at 100% which I don't need to.
Ironically enough Warranty doesn't mean a thing. Ever.
OCZ gave me good warranty support on my Fatal1ty PSU's and Game Xtreme. That didn't stop them from dying. That didn't stop them from taking out gear either.

It is what it is. No matter who makes it. The key is to minimize ones exposure. Although OCZ 'aquired' PC power, I don't think they took it for any of its enginnering. They took it to put a more respectable 'name' on there PSU's while working there own internals.

I'll go with those I trust VS them now.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

Old June 13, 2012, 10:10 AM
Hall Of Fame

before pc power was bought by ocz they were some of the best on the market. now the company is simply ocz riding ir trying to on the coat tails of the name.
Old June 15, 2012, 11:00 AM
MVP

My System Specs

The PC Power and Cooling Silencer Mk II 950W High Performance power supply is still not a bad power supply .It is quiet and has plenty of power for what I need it to do .The cables are nice and long.I am sure they make better ones,but for a 1000watt unit this one is not bad.I don't think they would put a seven year warranty on it ,if it was just a piece of junk.
Old June 15, 2012, 11:05 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmorejohn46 View Post
The PC Power and Cooling Silencer Mk II 950W High Performance power supply is still not a bad power supply .It is quiet and has plenty of power for what I need it to do .The cables are nice and long.I am sure they make better ones,but for a 1000watt unit this one is not bad.I don't think they would put a seven year warranty on it ,if it was just a piece of junk.
I still wouldn't say that.
I had 5 year Warranty on mine and I stopped sending them in for RMA since it cost too damn much for the amount of times.
And, Ultra's X4's have a lifetime warranty. But I don't think you'd even want to touch those ones.

-ST

Old June 15, 2012, 12:41 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Bought a GameXStream, replaced it with an EliteXStream, replaced that with an EliteXStream, replaced that with a GameXStream, replaced that with a PCP&C 910S (the really old design with the 80mm fan; was given the choice to get a new OCZ Z-series and passed). I still had two years to go on my five-year warranty at that point.

By the third unit I was already demanding that OCZ cover shipping both ways -- and to their credit, they did cover it. I'm still not going to buy an OCZ-branded PSU again though. The company's ability to select and monitor their OEM contracts is demonstrably insufficient, and not having a PSU for weeks at a time is too much to ask even if it does get replaced.