Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 5, 2012, 12:17 PM
Rookie

Just want to add a quick note. Though XFX are made by Seasonic, their voltage tolerances aren't always similar. For example, The XFX 1250 Watt vs. my Seasonic X-1250 Watt. They are essentially the same build with same features, but the voltage tolerances on the XFX are not as tight and fluctuate more compared to the Seasonic. XFX gives great performance for its money if you're willing to tolerate some quality issues, but if the prices were similiar, I still choose the Seasonic.

Last edited by michaelubc; June 5, 2012 at 02:08 PM.
Old June 5, 2012, 05:43 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

When you say quality issues. I'm assuming that you mean they aren't quite as good as the Seasonic branded stuff rather than they are bad quality.

Only the highest end clockers will notice the difference. Seasonic aren't stupid... they will use the highest quality stuff in their own units and oem the rest to other brands.. (Much like intel and it's nand modules.. or any number of other items)
Old June 6, 2012, 06:09 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelubc View Post
Just want to add a quick note. Though XFX are made by Seasonic, their voltage tolerances aren't always similar. For example, The XFX 1250 Watt vs. my Seasonic X-1250 Watt. They are essentially the same build with same features, but the voltage tolerances on the XFX are not as tight and fluctuate more compared to the Seasonic. XFX gives great performance for its money if you're willing to tolerate some quality issues, but if the prices were similiar, I still choose the Seasonic.
But when XFX gives me a $40 MIR or is $50 cheaper than the Seasonic, I am going with XFX.
It might not be as tight, but at the levels and loads we are talking about they are still WELL within spec and no one will have any issues with either unit.
If you actually look at a sample of 1000 PSU units of the same Platform (Seasonic MD etc) you will see that no two PSU's have it exactally the same.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com