Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11 (permalink)  
Old March 29, 2012, 10:46 AM
Soultribunal's Avatar
Moderator
F@H
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 8,062

My System Specs

Default

Leave it on, its for added ripple suppression.
And OCZ(FSP/Sirfa) is far from the only ones who do it. Season, CWT, and Enhance have all done it in the past.
It doesn't hurt anything by being there, and its not an answer to poor engineering.

-ST
__________________




"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old March 29, 2012, 10:49 AM
Adzsask's Avatar
Allstar
F@H
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: SK
Posts: 831

My System Specs

Default

Leave it there, and heat shrink it.
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old March 29, 2012, 11:58 AM
sswilson's Avatar
Moderator
F@H
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 14,412

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
Leave it on, its for added ripple suppression.
And OCZ(FSP/Sirfa) is far from the only ones who do it. Season, CWT, and Enhance have all done it in the past.
It doesn't hurt anything by being there, and its not an answer to poor engineering.

-ST
Sorry, but I disagree. It's obviously an after-the-fact "fix" for a design problem.

IMO computer PSUs should be considered "consumer grade" products rather than "industrial grade". I can imagine having an external modification like this on something that's not designed to be seen by the general public, but on consumer grade electronics, I expect all of the discrete components to be out of sight.

The fact that a mod to the design was needed is not the problem, it's the cludge they used to resolve the issue that is.
__________________
MSI Z87I Gaming AC / i5 4670K / 2X 4G Gskill 1866 DDR3 / XFX XTR 750 / EVGA GTX 680 SC+ 2GB / Intel DC S3700 200G / random 160G Sata HDD
Inwin 904 / Swiftech MCP655-b / Alphacool NexXxos XT45 120 Rad / 2X Scythe GT AP-15 / EK Supreme HF / Dell UltraSharp U2412M

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old March 29, 2012, 08:04 PM
Silent_Avenger's Avatar
MVP
F@H
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Toronto
Posts: 472

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Sorry, but I disagree. It's obviously an after-the-fact "fix" for a design problem.

IMO computer PSUs should be considered "consumer grade" products rather than "industrial grade". I can imagine having an external modification like this on something that's not designed to be seen by the general public, but on consumer grade electronics, I expect all of the discrete components to be out of sight.

The fact that a mod to the design was needed is not the problem, it's the cludge they used to resolve the issue that is.
This seems kinda like that horrible soldering job on the bottom of some of the OCZ ZT PSUs which seems to be more of an after thought thing.

__________________
Main System //// Dedicated Folding PC 1 //// Dedicated Folding PC 2 //// Laptop

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/DarkDivinityPC

I fold for a cure. Team 213366 and 54196.
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old April 3, 2012, 12:00 PM
Soultribunal's Avatar
Moderator
F@H
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 8,062

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Sorry, but I disagree. It's obviously an after-the-fact "fix" for a design problem.

IMO computer PSUs should be considered "consumer grade" products rather than "industrial grade". I can imagine having an external modification like this on something that's not designed to be seen by the general public, but on consumer grade electronics, I expect all of the discrete components to be out of sight.

The fact that a mod to the design was needed is not the problem, it's the cludge they used to resolve the issue that is.
It was a design fix for something on the cards, not on the PSU.
THe PSU would nominally output correct clean power to the card but the Cards components are changed and made more sensitive. It is the best Engineering fix provided by the PSU.

Its a Fix for a Problem they did not create.

-ST
__________________




"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old April 3, 2012, 12:08 PM
sswilson's Avatar
Moderator
F@H
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 14,412

My System Specs

Default

Heh... In fairness to me, I feel I have to mention that I pointed out the same "fix" on this silverstone strider PSU.....

Silverstone Strider 850 Gold 850W Modular Power Supply ATX 24PIN 135mm Fan 70A 80+ Gold Black - Silverstone Technology - ST85F-G

In a perfect world, if the cap needed to be soldered in as a parallel cct, it should have been left internal to the PSU case with long set of leads leading up to where the cap leads currently are soldered.
__________________
MSI Z87I Gaming AC / i5 4670K / 2X 4G Gskill 1866 DDR3 / XFX XTR 750 / EVGA GTX 680 SC+ 2GB / Intel DC S3700 200G / random 160G Sata HDD
Inwin 904 / Swiftech MCP655-b / Alphacool NexXxos XT45 120 Rad / 2X Scythe GT AP-15 / EK Supreme HF / Dell UltraSharp U2412M

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old April 3, 2012, 12:34 PM
KaptCrunch's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ontario
Posts: 2,922
Default

steve at least they made it pretty looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverstone
To reduce electrical whine/buzz associated with high performance graphics cardís dynamic loading changes, 2200uF capacitors are attached to PCI-E connectors.
This design also helps to maintain better voltage stability and improve ripple & noise performance.
the cap, really for the fan motors
Attached Images
 
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old April 3, 2012, 12:51 PM
Soultribunal's Avatar
Moderator
F@H
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 8,062

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Heh... In fairness to me, I feel I have to mention that I pointed out the same "fix" on this silverstone strider PSU.....

Silverstone Strider 850 Gold 850W Modular Power Supply ATX 24PIN 135mm Fan 70A 80+ Gold Black - Silverstone Technology - ST85F-G

In a perfect world, if the cap needed to be soldered in as a parallel cct, it should have been left internal to the PSU case with long set of leads leading up to where the cap leads currently are soldered.
Oh I know, and in all honestly the Folding cards I used back then on the 2XX series, only the ones in my case with the SS didn't Howl or Whine.

The ones on my TX and HX sure did...

-ST
__________________




"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old April 4, 2012, 08:08 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 1,226

My System Specs

Default

Before I got my Seasonic X-560 I was thinking of modifying a PCIE 6pin extension cable in exactly this way (except much bigger capacitor) to stop my GTX 550-Ti from screaming.
I assume the newer (good) PSU designs have something at the supply end because my Seasonic X-560 definitely reduces my GPU's whine compared to the other PSUs I tried (Seasonic M-12 600W, Antec Earthwatts 375W, CoolerMaster Elite Power 400W).

As Soul mentioned however, there are better ways to tackle the issue: http://www.analog.com/static/importe...als/MT-101.pdf
I'd definitely buy if a manufacturer gave specs for how much whine their product emits or how much ripple it throws back at the PSU / rest of the computer... If people knew a little more about analog electronics so the MFGs didn't just keep putting massive caps everywhere and then marketing them.
__________________
"The computer programmer says they should drive the car around the block and see if the tire fixes itself." [src]
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[WTB] Looking for a CAPACITOR! Killswitch Buy/Sell & Trade 1 November 8, 2011 02:23 PM
RMA PSU for that capacitor whine? JD Troubleshooting 18 July 6, 2010 10:07 AM
Leaked Capacitor in my PSU? hen555 Troubleshooting 1 May 19, 2009 02:45 PM