Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 29, 2012, 10:46 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Leave it on, its for added ripple suppression.
And OCZ(FSP/Sirfa) is far from the only ones who do it. Season, CWT, and Enhance have all done it in the past.
It doesn't hurt anything by being there, and its not an answer to poor engineering.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old March 29, 2012, 10:49 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Leave it there, and heat shrink it.
Old March 29, 2012, 11:58 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
Leave it on, its for added ripple suppression.
And OCZ(FSP/Sirfa) is far from the only ones who do it. Season, CWT, and Enhance have all done it in the past.
It doesn't hurt anything by being there, and its not an answer to poor engineering.

-ST
Sorry, but I disagree. It's obviously an after-the-fact "fix" for a design problem.

IMO computer PSUs should be considered "consumer grade" products rather than "industrial grade". I can imagine having an external modification like this on something that's not designed to be seen by the general public, but on consumer grade electronics, I expect all of the discrete components to be out of sight.

The fact that a mod to the design was needed is not the problem, it's the cludge they used to resolve the issue that is.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old March 29, 2012, 08:04 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Sorry, but I disagree. It's obviously an after-the-fact "fix" for a design problem.

IMO computer PSUs should be considered "consumer grade" products rather than "industrial grade". I can imagine having an external modification like this on something that's not designed to be seen by the general public, but on consumer grade electronics, I expect all of the discrete components to be out of sight.

The fact that a mod to the design was needed is not the problem, it's the cludge they used to resolve the issue that is.
This seems kinda like that horrible soldering job on the bottom of some of the OCZ ZT PSUs which seems to be more of an after thought thing.

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/DarkDivinityPC

I fold for a cure. Team 213366 and 54196.
Old April 3, 2012, 12:00 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:

It was a design fix for something on the cards, not on the PSU.
THe PSU would nominally output correct clean power to the card but the Cards components are changed and made more sensitive. It is the best Engineering fix provided by the PSU.

Its a Fix for a Problem they did not create.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

Old April 3, 2012, 12:08 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Heh... In fairness to me, I feel I have to mention that I pointed out the same "fix" on this silverstone strider PSU.....

Silverstone Strider 850 Gold 850W Modular Power Supply ATX 24PIN 135mm Fan 70A 80+ Gold Black - Silverstone Technology - ST85F-G

In a perfect world, if the cap needed to be soldered in as a parallel cct, it should have been left internal to the PSU case with long set of leads leading up to where the cap leads currently are soldered.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old April 3, 2012, 12:34 PM
Hall Of Fame

steve at least they made it pretty looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverstone
To reduce electrical whine/buzz associated with high performance graphics cardís dynamic loading changes, 2200uF capacitors are attached to PCI-E connectors.
This design also helps to maintain better voltage stability and improve ripple & noise performance.
the cap, really for the fan motors
Attached Images

Old April 3, 2012, 12:51 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Heh... In fairness to me, I feel I have to mention that I pointed out the same "fix" on this silverstone strider PSU.....

Silverstone Strider 850 Gold 850W Modular Power Supply ATX 24PIN 135mm Fan 70A 80+ Gold Black - Silverstone Technology - ST85F-G

In a perfect world, if the cap needed to be soldered in as a parallel cct, it should have been left internal to the PSU case with long set of leads leading up to where the cap leads currently are soldered.
Oh I know, and in all honestly the Folding cards I used back then on the 2XX series, only the ones in my case with the SS didn't Howl or Whine.

The ones on my TX and HX sure did...

-ST

Old April 4, 2012, 08:08 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Before I got my Seasonic X-560 I was thinking of modifying a PCIE 6pin extension cable in exactly this way (except much bigger capacitor) to stop my GTX 550-Ti from screaming.
I assume the newer (good) PSU designs have something at the supply end because my Seasonic X-560 definitely reduces my GPU's whine compared to the other PSUs I tried (Seasonic M-12 600W, Antec Earthwatts 375W, CoolerMaster Elite Power 400W).

As Soul mentioned however, there are better ways to tackle the issue: http://www.analog.com/static/importe...als/MT-101.pdf
I'd definitely buy if a manufacturer gave specs for how much whine their product emits or how much ripple it throws back at the PSU / rest of the computer... If people knew a little more about analog electronics so the MFGs didn't just keep putting massive caps everywhere and then marketing them.