Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 20, 2012, 03:09 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Default Power Supply Tester

Been tinkering with a friends computer for a little while now, I now suspect that the psu is faulty/dying and is killing the mobo on a full shut down.

Can anyone recommend a decent psu tester? I have been looking around and there are lots available, just want to make sure that I get a fairly decent one.
The oath to serve your country did not include a contract for normal luxury, and comforts enjoyed within our society. On the contrary it implies hardships, loyalty and devotion to duty, regardless of rank
Old February 20, 2012, 03:20 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryC View Post
Been tinkering with a friends computer for a little while now, I now suspect that the psu is faulty/dying and is killing the mobo on a full shut down.

Can anyone recommend a decent psu tester? I have been looking around and there are lots available, just want to make sure that I get a fairly decent one.
There isn't.

You can use a multimeter and hope for the best.
Old February 24, 2012, 06:33 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Thermaltake - Global - Dr.Power II - AC0015

this is what I would recommend.
Old February 24, 2012, 06:41 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoTech View Post
Thermaltake - Global - Dr.Power II - AC0015

this is what I would recommend.
Does that put load to the power supply? All most of those do is tell you the voltages of how the power supply is running.

The load voltages are more important.
Old February 24, 2012, 08:22 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Yep, without a load you can't check the load voltages as well as the current being delivered. Sadly my own device which would allow a power supply to be tested is stuck with trying to measure the pci-e slot of the mobo power usage... (keeping it low cost)
Old February 24, 2012, 06:03 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Forgot that I had started this. Hmm, too bad, I was hoping to be able to say for sure the psu is the original problem.
The oath to serve your country did not include a contract for normal luxury, and comforts enjoyed within our society. On the contrary it implies hardships, loyalty and devotion to duty, regardless of rank
Old February 25, 2012, 06:43 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah, unfortunately there is nothing on the market right now to accurately test a loaded psu other then throwing parts into it and stress testing the system and swapping parts to find the culprit.
Old February 25, 2012, 06:48 AM
Hall Of Fame

carbon pile load tester will do it but 500 amp is over kill

Old February 25, 2012, 06:54 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryC View Post

brown out comes to mind, first borrow a UPS unit (Uninterruptible power supply) to see if thats your issue of low voltage dips (like freezer kicking in and sucking up the juice)
Old February 25, 2012, 07:50 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Might have to take this to the troubleshooting area.

All the other components...ram, cpu,gpus,hdds work fine on another motherboard. When I power up this motherboard all fans spin, leds light up, board refuses to post. Swap other compnents onto this board...including a known working psu and still refuses to post.

The reason I suspect it was the psu in the first place for days before the failure the board was working fine, no issues. His daughter shut the computer down, when they went to restart it, nothing.

Second board in the last little bit, wish I had thought of the possibility of psu failure the first time. If it matters its a Thermaltake Toughpower 850.