Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old February 18, 2012, 11:36 AM
Rookie
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 26
Question 600 watt Power Supply and GTX 580

hey guys i have a question i know the gtx 580's minimum power requirement is for 600watt which i have a 600 watt ocz modextream pro and the amps on the +12 volt rail is only 25amps and the gtx 580's is 42 amps will i be ok do amps really matter?
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old February 18, 2012, 11:48 AM
Allstar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: London, Ontario
Posts: 644

My System Specs

Default

It might run fine in the short term but it could burn out quickly and possibly take something with it. That's why we always recommend head room and well reputed brands when it comes to power supplies. Also to note no PSU warranty will cover parts damaged by the PSU failing.

You can try it, best case scenario it works fine for years.

Also note that best practice would be to avoid high power draw like Folding@home and turn vertical sync in games on to prevent excesses FPS power draw. That should keep the power draw lower.

Last edited by jibz; February 18, 2012 at 11:54 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old February 18, 2012, 11:58 AM
Bond007's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 3,126

My System Specs

Default

I wouldn't run it on that PSU.
__________________
Desktop: Antec Three Hundred, Z77-D3H, 3570K undervolt @4.1ghz with Zalman Optima Cooler, Corsair Vengeance 2x4gb@1866mhz, HD 6950(unlocked shaders and OC'd), Bitfenix Fury 750w, WD Black 1TB, Intel 530 120GB
Away from home light Gamer: Acer Aspire 15.6", A8-3500m undervolt and OC to 2Ghz, 2x4gb Corsair Vengeance, Crucial M500 240gb
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old February 18, 2012, 12:27 PM
Rookie
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 26
Default

all right thanks guys i might upgrade the power supply then to maybe an 800 watt of 750
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old February 18, 2012, 12:44 PM
Rookie
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 26
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibz View Post
It might run fine in the short term but it could burn out quickly and possibly take something with it. That's why we always recommend head room and well reputed brands when it comes to power supplies. Also to note no PSU warranty will cover parts damaged by the PSU failing.

You can try it, best case scenario it works fine for years.

Also note that best practice would be to avoid high power draw like Folding@home and turn vertical sync in games on to prevent excesses FPS power draw. That should keep the power draw lower.
oh also i might end up getting the gtx 570 instead will it work ok with that card?
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old February 18, 2012, 05:32 PM
MVP
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 444

My System Specs

Default

I think you answered your own question.

In the case of your PSU, it apprently provide 25a on 12v rail #1 and 25a on 12v rail #2 so combined total is 50a on the 12v rails not including other htings that draw power from 12v such as cpu, motherboard etc.

42a for the GTX580 leaves 8a on the 12v combined or 96watts at 12v approx, and from what I have read, I most certainly would not be stressing any current OCZ power supply, they are mid grade compared to others out there, you want a good one XFX 650/750, Corsair HX750, seasonic x-760 all very powerfull and all able to be loaded to thier rated wattage/amps with no worries.

Wattage is very important but so is amps. Amps more then watts now, especially with high end components, they tend to draw low watt but high amps as they convert it to what they need internally, so yes it matters, no amps, no power :P

If you wanted to get a good gpu with less power draw but still very powerfull

Radeon 7950
GTX 560Ti 448 core

Both of these can easily be powered by a 600w power supply, a 560 448 core is near indential in performance to a 570 but less costly, a Radeon 7950 is far more powerfull, less expensive, but also less power hungry :)
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old March 17, 2012, 01:08 PM
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 55
Default

I'm starting to regret purchasing my 650 watt power supply when the non-modular version of the 750 watt was only $10 more. Call me inexperienced, but I probably ended up using every single cable in my PSU anyway, so the modularity didn't really save me much room.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old March 28, 2012, 07:26 AM
Killswitch's Avatar
Allstar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Sault Ste Marie, Ontario
Posts: 839

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonstongue View Post
Wattage is very important but so is amps. Amps more then watts now, especially with high end components, they tend to draw low watt but high amps as they convert it to what they need internally, so yes it matters, no amps, no power :P
Just thought I'd chime in here.....

The part I highlighted doesn't make sense because V x A = W.

For example: 12V x 10A = 120W

Now if you had a component drawing higher amps: 12V x 15A = 180W

Therefore a higher draw of amps = higher wattage PSU requirement, NOT lower wattage.

Newer high end components draw less watts because they are more efficient and draw less amps.

Last edited by Killswitch; March 28, 2012 at 07:36 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old March 28, 2012, 08:41 AM
Arinoth's Avatar
Moderator
F@H
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Halifax
Posts: 8,604

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killswitch View Post
Just thought I'd chime in here.....

The part I highlighted doesn't make sense because V x A = W.

For example: 12V x 10A = 120W

Now if you had a component drawing higher amps: 12V x 15A = 180W

Therefore a higher draw of amps = higher wattage PSU requirement, NOT lower wattage.

Newer high end components draw less watts because they are more efficient and draw less amps.
You are correct, seeing as the 12V rail isn't suppose to deviate that much from 12V, so what changes is the amount of current the device pulls. Seeing as wattage is tied directly to current, if one goes up the other goes up (if voltage remains the same).
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old March 28, 2012, 01:08 PM
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 42
Default

I would also suggest that you avoid replacing your current ocz power supply with another of the same brand but higher wattage. The PSU is the bulding block of your PC and must be of high quality. Cheap psu always die quickly and are a hazard to other components in operation(voltage drift, excessive noise, etc) and when they fail(burning other components). Quality brands include seasonic, corsair, xfx and antec.

They are numerous posts of people buying ocz units and having trouble with them on e-tailer forums.

Some people avoid ocz products entirely.

If that is not enough, I had a friend who I warned to not buy an ocz psu (modxstream) and 3 months later it failed. Luckly it didn't ruin his nice sandy-bridge build. He replaced it with a corsair tx850. It's an older model but still very good.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Tags
600watt power supply , gtx 580

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Club3D Releases New 1200 Watt Power Supply Sam_Reynolds Press Releases & Tech News 11 May 18, 2011 10:38 PM
[WTB] Corsair HX 620 Watt power supply anabioz Buy/Sell & Trade 2 March 19, 2009 07:17 AM
CoolerMaster Real Power pro 1250 Watt renoracer Buy/Sell & Trade 5 November 18, 2008 07:04 PM
Cheap PCI E Card for 300 watt power supply??? Reddog Video Cards 2 September 10, 2008 10:17 AM
Best Power supply in either 600 watt or 700 watts Dashock Power Supplies 22 July 23, 2008 09:22 PM