Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 27, 2012, 09:13 AM
Rookie

Default 4 pin connector into a 6 pin?

Hello guys, My pc broke down the other day so I have been testing part with a friends computer and figured out that it is the PSU or the motherboard, maybe the processor but I doubt it. I wanted to connect his power supply to my rig and see how it would turn on but we found that that his power supply only has 4 pin connectors for the cpu power connector while mine shows 6. I was wondering is it ok to do that? it is only going to be temporary just to see whether it is or isn't the power supply, that way I can tell if it is the motherboard at fault or not. I just wanted to be sure and thanks
Old January 27, 2012, 09:15 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

As long as your rig isn't OC'd thats fine. Also are you sure that 6 pin isn't PCI-E auxiliary power for multiple video cards? I don't remember ever seening a 6 pin EPS..
Old January 27, 2012, 09:16 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by supaflyx3 View Post
As long as your rig isn't OC'd thats fine. Also are you sure that 6 pin isn't PCI-E auxiliary power for multiple video cards? I don't remember ever seening a 6 pin EPS..
Something is off there, maybe a mistake but there are only ever 4 or 8 pin.

But as you said, so long as there isn't an OC you should be fine using just a 4pin.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old January 27, 2012, 09:22 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by supaflyx3 View Post
No, my computer isn't overclocked and I made sure I took off the GPU too just in case his psu couldn't run with the GPU on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
Something is off there, maybe a mistake but there are only ever 4 or 8 pin.

But as you said, so long as there isn't an OC you should be fine using just a 4pin.

-ST
oh ok thanks might have been an 8 pin, I didn't get a real good look but it was more than 4 for sure, if so then it probably was 8, just a miscount on my part.
Old January 27, 2012, 09:26 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaMig View Post
No, my computer isn't overclocked and I made sure I took off the GPU too just in case his psu couldn't run with the GPU on it.

oh ok thanks might have been an 8 pin, I didn't get a real good look but it was more than 4 for sure, if so then it probably was 8, just a miscount on my part.
No worries mate, thats what I figured just helping you out thats all.

The 4 pin connector will be keyed to only fit in on one side of the 8pin on the board.
Make sure you don't force it if it doesn't feel like it wants to go in. Good Luck!

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old January 27, 2012, 09:26 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I've never seen a 6 pin CPU power. 4 or 8... but 4 will work in the 8pin slot, there's also adapters for it, but you shouldn't run a 4pin with anything higher than a ~125W CPU.
Old January 27, 2012, 09:30 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake_HT View Post
I've never seen a 6 pin CPU power. 4 or 8... but 4 will work in the 8pin slot, there's also adapters for it, but you shouldn't run a 4pin with anything higher than a ~125W CPU.
The one I have is 95 W so I guess its fine
Old January 27, 2012, 09:48 AM
Rookie

going to go over to my friends in a while, will update this with what the problem was. Thanks everyone!

btw one last question, can I plug in my 8 pin into his 4 pin on his motherboard or is that a bad thing?
Old January 27, 2012, 09:59 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaMig View Post
going to go over to my friends in a while, will update this with what the problem was. Thanks everyone!

btw one last question, can I plug in my 8 pin into his 4 pin on his motherboard or is that a bad thing?
It will be fine. It'll be notched in a way that you can only plug it in the proper way.
Old January 27, 2012, 11:20 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

There is only 4 or 8 pin for CPU, and it is fine to run them on each other (they are keyed to only fit one way). If it is a 6 pin then it is for a graphics card...do not force it in a cpu connector.