Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 29, 2012, 08:29 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delavan View Post
Dunno the specifics on the cougar series, but most of HEC offerings are far from real enthusiast gear...
Maybe they pushed the envelope with the Cougar line....
They did:

Cougar S700 700W Review

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old January 29, 2012, 08:39 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Linus was using one on his test bench fore a wile. see what he has to say maybe. ??
not the same modle though If I remember.
Old January 30, 2012, 06:33 AM
Allstar

You can also see a good review of a Cougar unit here..

Cougar GX 700 W Power Supply Review | Hardware Secrets

Since I've been wanting the power for over a year now I finally bit the bullet and picked one up. NCIX has it on sale for $99 instead of $155 which I thought was a good deal. Plus this is the first time I've seen the GX700 on sale in all this time.

Create something idiot proof and they will make a better idiot.

Intel Q6600 - Gigabyte EP35-DS4 - OCZ Reaper 4gig PC2-6400 - XFX 8800GT 512Mb Alpha Dog - AuzenTech X-Fi Prelude - Alesis M1Active MK2 - Corsair HX-620 - Silverstone Temjin TJ05B-X - Scythe Katana 2 - WD Raptor 150Gb - Seagate 7200.11 750Gb x2 - Samsung SH-S203N
Old January 30, 2012, 06:55 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

They seem to get pretty good reviews (if hardwaresecrets and jonnyguru are happy with it, then it can't be that bad) and they are definitely unique looking. It still wouldn't be on my short list, but I see no reason not to buy if you want a PSU with that color scheme.
Old January 30, 2012, 06:59 AM
F@H

My System Specs

There are a lot of companies on the upstart that are getting better units out there than the vaunted Seasonic.
There AT platform didn't do so well in the Hale 92 from NZXT.
Makes me wish they kept Superflower.

HEC hasn't always been good, or even average. But it looks like they are doing good now.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

Old January 30, 2012, 07:07 AM
Allstar

Yeah, it's a shame we can't get Superflower here. At least I've never seen them. JohnnyGuru always rates them high from what I can remember.

Intel Q6600 - Gigabyte EP35-DS4 - OCZ Reaper 4gig PC2-6400 - XFX 8800GT 512Mb Alpha Dog - AuzenTech X-Fi Prelude - Alesis M1Active MK2 - Corsair HX-620 - Silverstone Temjin TJ05B-X - Scythe Katana 2 - WD Raptor 150Gb - Seagate 7200.11 750Gb x2 - Samsung SH-S203N
Old January 30, 2012, 07:38 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodscene View Post
Yeah, it's a shame we can't get Superflower here. At least I've never seen them. JohnnyGuru always rates them high from what I can remember.
We can, newegg for the Kingwin Lazer Gold, or Rosewill Lightning.

Both are Superflower units.
I have bugged Linus in the past about getting the Hale90 units from NZXT to NCIX to no avail.

The market, is too dilute.

-ST

Old January 30, 2012, 09:22 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I think my only gripe about the cougar psu's is that they use a multi rail system. Also I believe it was noted(i think in a comment on the unboxing vid) that linus uses a cougar psu in his own personal system. Also the 5 year warranty isn't too shabby either.

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/DarkDivinityPC

I fold for a cure. Team 213366 and 54196.
Old January 30, 2012, 09:33 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent_Avenger View Post
I think my only gripe about the cougar psu's is that they use a multi rail system. Also I believe it was noted(i think in a comment on the unboxing vid) that linus uses a cougar psu in his own personal system. Also the 5 year warranty isn't too shabby either.

At this day and age Multi vs Single is a non issue.

Most of the time the Single rail systems are really Multi's in disguise. Look at Jonny's review of the XFX black edition.

-ST

Old January 30, 2012, 01:49 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
We can, newegg for the Kingwin Lazer Gold, or Rosewill Lightning.

Both are Superflower units.
I have bugged Linus in the past about getting the Hale90 units from NZXT to NCIX to no avail.

The market, is too dilute.

-ST
True, but those aren't the best looking Superflower ones haha.

Well I just picked up my GX700 from NCIX and man is it a nice unit, looks better in person than it does in pictures. Very sexy (for a power supply that is). I have no regrets at all. It also helps that it only cost me $112 in total for a Gold PSU.

As for the multiple rails etc, I'm not worried about it at all even if it was an issue. I highly doubt I'll ever go SLI or Crossfire and I'll never have a very high end GPU. I bought a used MSI 465 Golden Edition (bios to 470) as an upgrade to my 8800GT haha.