Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 23, 2012, 05:33 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by siegfx View Post
I've contacted the company, and they said they can't take it back if it's just because of the noise (like an old TV)... So I guess I'm stuck to buying a new PSU , and sell this one later on to someone who uses Fan cooling / not interested in silent PC.

Would a seasonic X-1050 be silent ? I noticed that the Coil sound is louder the higher the PSU wattage is.. (I went from a Coolermaster Silent Pro 1000W) So I guess I wont be taking anything close to a 1200W for now.
The seasonic unit would operate in fanless mode when your system is idle, so the fan wouldn't be spinning at all.

You can look at different reviews of whatever PSU you're think about getting to see about the fan noise. If the PSU hasn't been reviewed here, I recommend checking out jonnyguru.
Old March 23, 2012, 06:17 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazyups View Post
The seasonic unit would operate in fanless mode when your system is idle, so the fan wouldn't be spinning at all.

You can look at different reviews of whatever PSU you're think about getting to see about the fan noise. If the PSU hasn't been reviewed here, I recommend checking out jonnyguru.
It's coil noise in this one, krazyups - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coil_Noise

OP - Crappy buzz man, a lot of high end PSUs get coil whine probably because the experienced engineers are old and cannot hear those high pitched sounds anymore. Allowing the PSUs to go into production. Need some young guys in QA I say.
12gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600mhz
Intel X-25M 80gb Gen2
1x WD Caviar Green 1TB 64m cache
Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6
Seasonic X-660
Fractal Design R3 + 4x Noctua S12B 120mm