Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 18, 2012, 02:48 PM
Rookie

Default Whats thew Difference: Modular vs Normal?

Whats the difference between modular and Normal apart from options provided by Modular PSU's.

I have read on the web that Normal PSU's are more efficient and better.
Old January 18, 2012, 03:31 PM
F@H

My System Specs

There are no appreciable differences between them, other than the convenience of the removable cables.
Old January 18, 2012, 03:35 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I am not sure of how Normal PSU's are more efficient and better if the PSUs are the same brand except for one being Modular and power then there should be no difference except that the Modular one would be more wire friendly becasue you only plug in the wires which you need which also means that the air inside the case would have less obstacles to get around
Old January 18, 2012, 03:50 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I think that used to be a more widely held belief, the connectors for the modular design were thought to add some inefficiency. Not an issue any longer afaik, plenty of modular silver/gold rated psu's.

HWC Overclocking Team, breaking hardware for fun!

Team Thread
Old January 18, 2012, 04:01 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikipedia
  • Modular cables and connectors add electrical resistance between the power supply and the hardware components. In practice the resistance of a connection is far too small to cause significant voltage drop[4], although the additional connections are an additional possible point of failure if they become corroded or damaged.
  • Connectors may become accidentally disconnected or not fully engaged, especially inside crowded cases, and modular PSUs have more connections than others at risk. Many PSUs have connectors with locking mechanisms which prevent a connector from falling out or not being fully inserted. Pairs of connectors are also additional components subject to mechanical damage when being plugged in or unplugged carelessly.
  • As of early 2011 most modular power supplies used the same connectors as each other, but with different, non-standardized pin-outs. Interchanging cables between brands can damage equipment by applying incorrect voltages, grounds and opens to outputs such as SATA power connectors. There is rarely any visual indication or keyed connector to prevent using an incorrect cable
In practice, the extra resistance isn't a big deal. But broken/loose/improper connections can be. Losing cables probably isn't that uncommon which can be a huge pain.

Here's an article on the subject: Modular Power Supplies: The Reality of the Resistance. Motherboards.org