Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 6, 2012, 12:44 AM
Rookie

Default power supply help! :)

hey guys i was jsut wondeering what power supply i should use, i have a infinity 700w and im trying to save money this power supply dose not have pci-e conectors but dose have 4x 4 pin molex ? which i can use to power my graphics card and i was just wondering would i be able to get away with using this power suppply till i buy my other parts but that could be 2-4 months, my system specs are listed below

- Corsair Carbide 500R Black Mid-Tower Case
- Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

- OCZ Agility 3 120G SATA3 SSD
- MSI gtx560 ti twin froxr II OC

(currently have a old motherboared and cpu and ram i will use for now they are listed below.)

- amd athlon 64 X2 Dual core processor 5200+ 2.69GHz (scores 5.8 in windows 7 raitng)-(will be upgrading soon to either amd 6 core or i5 2500k)
- asrock A785GM-LE/128M (will be upgrading soon when i upgrade my cpu and ram)
- 4 gigs or ddr2 800 team ram (scores 7.1 in windows 7 raiting)

this pc will be used for some gaming like bf3 n mw3 and the crysis series, the question i want answer is will that infinity 700w psu be enough to power my system without damagin any products inside, im just trying to save money atm.

thanks
steven,
Old January 6, 2012, 01:00 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

more then enough to power it. Just keep in mind your CPU will bottleneck your video card drastically.
Corsair Builder Series CMPSU-600CXV2 600W ATX Power Supply Active PFC 120MM Fan *3 Year Wrty* - Corsair - CMPSU-600CXV2 that PSU would be good if you don't plan on running SLI anytime in the future.
Old January 6, 2012, 06:52 AM
F@H

My System Specs

While 700W is enough to power up to a GTX580 the one you have should not be used or even considered powering a new system.
There are very good reasons for it to NOT have PCI-e connectors. THat is namely because the unit I doubt can actually do 700W worth of real power.

It is not made by any good OEM, and from just a quick search on the net I see a lot of complaints of it killing system components.

My advice? Ditch that one and get a good unit from Silverstone, Corsair, Seasonic, Antec.

For your setup, 650W quality unit would be more than capable even if you want to do SLI.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old January 7, 2012, 02:01 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
While 700W is enough to power up to a GTX580 the one you have should not be used or even considered powering a new system.
There are very good reasons for it to NOT have PCI-e connectors. THat is namely because the unit I doubt can actually do 700W worth of real power.

It is not made by any good OEM, and from just a quick search on the net I see a lot of complaints of it killing system components.

My advice? Ditch that one and get a good unit from Silverstone, Corsair, Seasonic, Antec.

For your setup, 650W quality unit would be more than capable even if you want to do SLI.

-ST
I second this, personally I have been burnt to many times by cheap/old PSU's. If you want to save money, cheaping out on the power supply is not where to do it!