Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 31, 2011, 12:03 AM
Rookie

Question Need Moar Power!!!!

Hello, Im currently building a computer set up and im curiouse which powersupply you would recommend. Im going to be running a SR-x (when released) SR-2 for now, quad GTX 580 FTW hydro copper 2's and 4 ssd raid. All the power calculators iv tried like newegg say i need around 1800 watt power supplies.. but ive seen you make similar builds with much less power. I dont really like the way the silverstone 1500 looks (my case is a extended U2UFO) but if thats the only one that works then im out of luck i supose. Any help would be appriciated and I will be posting videos about the build once the rest of the parts arrive.

Edited- I will be using the 8 core processors once released for the SR-X. A single blueray drive , two NZXT Sentry LX fan controllers. and a USB bay (3.0 if it matters) with media card reader. I have a dual loop watercooling rig. (koolance products (pmp-450)) both loops have tripple 120's loaded with 2000 rpm fans.
I cant think of anything else that will be drawing power from the system to add to calculations. any help would be appriciated. The backplate for my case I have only allows a single PSU and I've been told I can do it with a single silverstone 1500 watt.
Old December 31, 2011, 12:24 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

To be honest, you shouldn't be avoiding the Silverstone ST1500 just cause it doesn't look good. The most important thing is the quality of it. And it's all black anyway, isn't it?

Thermaltake Toughpower 1500W ATX12V 2.3 24PIN Power Supply Active PFC 80PLUS Silver SLI CF 135mm Fan - Thermaltake - TP-1500M

Here's a Thermaltake Toughpower 1500w.
Old December 31, 2011, 12:28 AM

ST1500 is probably not a bad bet for a config like this....

For faster (and official) NCIX service please contact our customer care team at www.NCIX.com (Canada) or www.NCIXUS.com (USA)

Heatware: http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=25647
Old December 31, 2011, 12:28 AM
Rookie

Ive always used Kingwin supplies which look nice.. and I like the way the new Xfx psus look aswell .. I know i shouldnt choose based on appearence.. But I dont know how to do sleeving (or havnt tried) and the silverstone is sleeved crappy compaired to a lot of other modular power supplies.. I also dont know if it is enough power as well.. The calculators ive used all say I need 1800 watts. (Linus tech tips brought me here, he did a quad sli video with a 1200 watt and said there was extra and im not sure how he did it or how he figured that much power would work.)
Old December 31, 2011, 12:30 AM
Rookie

O and since your here, Hi linus! you've helped me through a lot of my computer issues.
Old December 31, 2011, 01:10 AM

Glad to hear I've been able to help you.

As for your config, what you're building is one of the few exceptions to my "no one actually needs a 1000W+ power supply" rule. You will likely want to go ahead with the Strider 1500W...

For faster (and official) NCIX service please contact our customer care team at www.NCIX.com (Canada) or www.NCIXUS.com (USA)

Heatware: http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=25647
Old December 31, 2011, 05:15 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Don't you need a 220V plug to make use of more than 1200W power supplies?
Old December 31, 2011, 06:52 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

If you can get a deal on a 700-800w psu of great quality (silver at the very least), you could always use two psu: one for the gpus and the loops and one for the rest. Here in canada, i think the best a normal house electrical circuit can give is around 1500-1800w (15A*120v), so you could verify what is the max your house can give.
Old December 31, 2011, 10:46 PM
Rookie

Thank you all for the imput. As for the double powersupply thing Im trying to avoid that because im kinda a neat freak when it comes to my cases and im using a extended U2 UFO with a single psu backplate. The outlet issue I know I will need a increased outlet installed. When I run both my system and my wifes in the room it cant keep up (an 850 watt and 450 watt) I have an electrician friend the switch to a higher outlet wont cost much. My question (which has been answer now by you guys) was if 1500watt was enoguh power. And any recomended psu's because i dont really like the appearence of the st 1500 's sleeving but I will either ignore it , try sleeving finaly, or check out those thermaltake ones linked above. Thank you everyone for your help ^.^ I will post videos and pictures once I finish the build!
Old December 31, 2011, 10:47 PM
Rookie

Oh and Happy new year everyone!