Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 12, 2011, 01:26 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

I have a Quattro 850 in my current rig and another sitting unopened in the basement for my next build. Been pretty happy with it so far. Glad to see they replaced your unit for you.
Old February 1, 2012, 05:26 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Hi all,

Just a quick update. I received the HCP 850 yesterday. Plugged it, rerouted some cables, fought with my back panel to make it fit (thanks brute force + thumb screws ).

The HCP is a very well built product except for the modular female connectors, I plugged-unplugged the 12v2/CPU/HDD one and some of the plastic broke. Not a big deal since it is only plastic but hey, it still broke.

A side from that, the unit is VERY silent compared to the Quattro 850w on idle. On normal load (playing swtor on GTX570 SLI), I began hearing the fan. I still have to verify is it was my GPUs or the PSU but GPUs were only @70C~75C. The packaging is very well done and modular connectors are great. The non-modular cords are only for mobo, CPU and double PCI-E. Thus, no cable is left unplugged and I only used 4 extra modular cables: 2x SATA (one was too short for both SSD and BluRay drive), 1x molex (for the front fan) and 1x PCI-E for the second GPU.

Fun fact, the unit's text around connectors and the Antec logo on the rear are backward when bottom mounted. Kinda of a weird choice for Antec to have built the unit for a top mount is these times. There is not much of an impact since it is only display.

EDIT: The noise was actually my case side fan's cable hitting the fan itself. Fixed now, pretty silent.
EDIT 2: The noise came back. I finally saw that a piece of ripped plastic wrapping was hanging between the fan and the grill. A chance that I saw it before it got inside the unit!

Gameplay > Graphics ... oh wait

Food > Gameplay > Graphics > Movies > Sleep > Work

Last edited by Mayoo; February 8, 2012 at 12:40 PM.