Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 12, 2011, 10:56 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default PSU Calc Final Release

PSU Calc v1.0 goes live tonight at

6:00 PM Eastern Time

There will be a ~30 minute server downtime as we move over the new database. The app will not work during this period.

This is the Release Candidate v0.99 version of PSUCalc. This version has all the features of the final v1.0 release of the product. We need YOU guys to help us out by searching out any and all bugs in this program, give us any last minute advice, and just generally help us make this program the best it can possibly be.

RC Download Here!

Release notes:
-Release Candidate! Feature freeze!
-Fixed two major math bugs
-Fixed numerous minor bugs
-Added save/load configuration functionality. Exported configurations saved as .psu files and can be loaded on any other computer with PSU Calc v0.99 and up
-Added reset button
-Updated database

File Bug Reports Here

OVER 2200 DOWNLOADS

Thank you everyone for your support!
(Note, this doesn't count those who downloaded the program while it was still in beta, which is another 400-500!)

PSUCalc v1.0 PREVIEW:

Info: This program was made by myself and FiX, one of OCN's devoted New Zealand members. Fix originally demonstrated a mock-up of the program, then we got to work, with FiX doing the programming and other technical wizardry, and me doing the calculator math and such.

Disclaimer: The creators of this program are not liable for damages caused by use or misuse of this program or its advice. All wattage numbers given are approximate recommendations and are not intended to be definitive, nor necessarily indicative of actual power consumption. This tool is meant to help enthusiasts, not to be relied on exclusively.

Last edited by Phaedrus2129; October 22, 2011 at 02:55 PM.
Old October 13, 2011, 01:46 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Needs a spot to enter water pumps and TECs and all that fun stuff! :P
Old October 13, 2011, 05:30 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Phaedrus, I may be able (sometime in the future) to help you with more accurate individual parts wattage consumption at the DC level from the power supply whenever I can get my prototype assembled. PM me if you might be interested in this more accurate data collection method I'm currently working on.
Old October 13, 2011, 08:51 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
Phaedrus, I may be able (sometime in the future) to help you with more accurate individual parts wattage consumption at the DC level from the power supply whenever I can get my prototype assembled. PM me if you might be interested in this more accurate data collection method I'm currently working on.
Interesting, what's your prototype looking like?

My main thing right now is getting a more accurate idea of the power consumption of CPUs and the precise power consumption relationship between clock speed, voltage, and binning. I mean, we all know the common knowledge version, but what's the exact mathematical relationship? And how much power does a Gulftown i7 draw? Etc.

Also I'm seeing some major (ie. +/-20-40W) disparities in reports for HD6900 series power consumption, especially when PowerTune is adjusted.

What I really need is two weeks in San Jose with access to all the hardware in AMD, Intel, and nVidia headquarters, a PSU with a known efficiency curve, and a high-end power meter. :p
Old October 13, 2011, 09:15 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Well, its partially on paper, partially floating around in my mind, and partially coded.

In a nut shell its going to hook up to the power connectors of each device, measure the voltage rail and current going through each wire, then through the magic of being an electronics engineering, I'll do some calculations to and then display the power consumed by that device on a windows GUI (that is the currently partially code reference). This may not give you a direct mathematically relationship in the beginning, but once you run it several times at different loads, voltages, etc, you'd be able to see (hopefully) some consistence if you plotted the data, which would then give you the relationship. Trying to figure out the mathematical relationship "blindly" by going with what we can measure from the wall and what little tech specs intel/amd give us we can only speculate.

The only thing right now my design wont be able to measure is the power consumed by a graphics card from the motherboard's pci-e power delivered as I'm quickly running out of pins that i can use with it and keep it low cost. To give you an idea, each current measuring device unless bought in bulk is about 3-4$ each, seeing as I'm going with being able to measure 12 points at once, aka 4 gpus, 1 mobo, or cpu + molex, I'm kinda limited if i want to keep the thing reasonably priced (even when I can get a 3k order bulk price drop of 2-3$ each).
Old October 13, 2011, 09:24 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Nice stuff, thanks for sharing with us!
Old October 13, 2011, 12:44 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

would you be able to roughly determine the power pulled from the PCI-E slot via difference in power pulled from the motherboard power connection?
Old October 13, 2011, 12:50 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Yes and no, you would have to rule out if onboard video causes the motherboard or cpu to use more load then it would with a dedicated graphics card, potentially skewing the results.
Old October 22, 2011, 10:05 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

PSU Calc v1.0 goes up tonight.
Old October 26, 2011, 06:35 AM
Rookie

Did v1.0 go up? Or is that link still pointing to the RC?