Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 11, 2011, 11:06 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default PSU For My Phenom II Rig? Replacing OCZ GameXStream 600

I'm looking for a PSU that can effectively power my current Phenom II rig. I was going to continue to use this Antec Earthwatts 500 till December where I initially planned to build a new rig during Christmas, but it seems that won't be happening thanks to Bulldozer not really competing, and the fact that there are some personal family financial considerations. I know Corsair makes the best stuff, but they are also the most expensive. You pay for what you get, yes, but my OCZ GameXStream 600W was just excellent for I think 5 years before it decided to die on me. I don't want to spend more than $100 and prefer it to be modular, but that means I'll be going with an OCZ PSU. And OCZ PSUs are frowned upon by the enthusiast community so, what should I get?

Reason for this planning to do PSU replacement is because I just don't feel comfortable with this Earthwatts 500W, as my CPU and GPU temps are up by 10C due to the smaller fan, and the PSU probably working harder due to its lower efficiency. It may be able to power my rig in the short term, but long-term, I'm not so sure.
Old October 11, 2011, 11:48 PM
Top Prospect

How about a XFX 450W Core Edition?

Jonnyguru review here. With MIR, it's around $35 on NCIX.
Old October 12, 2011, 12:08 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If modular cables are the priority: Buy Silverstone Technology [ST50F-P] Silverstone Strider 500 Plus 500W Modular Power Supply ATX 24PIN 120MM Fan 34A 80+ Bronze Black
It's based off a known reliable FSP platform despite the lack of ultra premium capacitors. Noise isn't the best though, due to the poor fan speed profile.

There should be quite a few semi modular Seasonic units in your price range though, such as the M12II series.
Old October 12, 2011, 10:55 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Corsair isn't always the best of the best, and the ongoing myth that they always are irks me.

Try looking at the Antec NeoECO lineup. They're generally very well priced and are excellent performers, based on the SeaSonic S12II Bronze platform. SeaSonic recently hiked prices to their retail partners, so Antec may be discontinuing these models. Grab them while they're still available.
Old October 14, 2011, 10:44 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaedrus2129 View Post
Corsair isn't always the best of the best, and the ongoing myth that they always are irks me.

Try looking at the Antec NeoECO lineup. They're generally very well priced and are excellent performers, based on the SeaSonic S12II Bronze platform. SeaSonic recently hiked prices to their retail partners, so Antec may be discontinuing these models. Grab them while they're still available.
Ironically you would recommend a Seasonic platform when 50% + of what Corsair uses is Seasonic...

Corsair is touted as the best of the best because of the OEM platforms they choose to brand their PSU's with. CWT's and Seasonics top performers are good reason they have the following they do.

They are not the only one I reccomend however, as I love Antec and there Delta units. Silverstone when they use good Enhance units.

Mind you Corsair and Seasonic have some good competition comming in the form of Superflower. NewEggs newest units use that OEM and it shows. AS well as Kingwin. So Corsair might be fighting for top spot soon enough.

Now, onto Geo.
If you want to get one of the newer OCZ power units go for it. The Z series is pretty good now that they have refined the platform they are using.

Though with $100 budget its gonna be tight you could get this while its on sale:

NCIX.com - Buy Antec High Current Gamer 620W 48A 24PIN ATX12V V2.3 Active PFC 80 Plus Bronze Power Supply 135mm Fan - Antec - HCG-620 - in Canada

The HCG series from Antec are solid, or a Silvestone STrider Plus 500 (though I think that one is Topower and not Enhance, i.e. not as good).

My thoughts,

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old October 14, 2011, 01:15 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Hopefully I'm going to get the Corsair AX750 for $100. Chris went to pick it up today. If it doesn't work, then I'll get something else.

Is there any problems with running the Earthwatts 500W in the long-term though?
Old October 14, 2011, 01:33 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
Hopefully I'm going to get the Corsair AX750 for $100. Chris went to pick it up today. If it doesn't work, then I'll get something else.

Nope, I haven't heard anything bad about the Earthwatts.
Hopefully you get that smoking deal on the AX750.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old October 14, 2011, 03:17 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
Nope, i still regret I sold mine. Rock solid. Quad core Deneb and 460GTX were hold together by my Earth Watts 380 so I guess the 500 still has even more juice. no issue there. You can also look at the XFX core edition ones. Pretty good MIR at newegg.ca or no MIR and lower priced at directcanada.com. Seasonic as OEM.