Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31 (permalink)  
Old October 11, 2011, 03:33 AM
lightninstrikr's Avatar
Top Prospect
F@H
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Virginia
Posts: 121

My System Specs

Default

Alright thanks again everyone :D
Reply With Quote
  #32 (permalink)  
Old October 11, 2011, 08:11 AM
geokilla's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,624

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
That's per hour though...so $2.21/day ($809/year) vs $2.41/day ($883/year) and 12c/kWh is a rather high estimate.

However, it's very rare that the PSU will actually draw 700W for 24/7, so it's worse case values. Unless of course you're folding or otherwise loading the CPU/GPU continuously.

Potentially though, it could pay for itself in a 2-3 years.
Don't forget the electricity delivery fee, which costs as much as the electricity itself. You should know this! You live in Toronto too, just like me!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #33 (permalink)  
Old October 11, 2011, 09:25 AM
JD's Avatar
JD JD is offline
Moderator
F@H
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 6,891

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
Don't forget the electricity delivery fee, which costs as much as the electricity itself. You should know this! You live in Toronto too, just like me!
lol, yeah Toronto is just out of control and Rob Ford surely isn't helping things. I believe our hydro rates are going to be the highest in the developed world in the next couple of years, so obviously things like PSU efficiency will mean major cost savings. Every watt counts!

Gaming components really need to look at reducing power consumption while still scaling up performance though, there's no reason a gaming PC should be drawing upwards of 600W these days. Software and hardware needs to become more efficient.
Reply With Quote
  #34 (permalink)  
Old October 11, 2011, 05:32 PM
lightninstrikr's Avatar
Top Prospect
F@H
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Virginia
Posts: 121

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
lol, yeah Toronto is just out of control and Rob Ford surely isn't helping things. I believe our hydro rates are going to be the highest in the developed world in the next couple of years, so obviously things like PSU efficiency will mean major cost savings. Every watt counts!

Gaming components really need to look at reducing power consumption while still scaling up performance though, there's no reason a gaming PC should be drawing upwards of 600W these days. Software and hardware needs to become more efficient.
I agree but as always in human history we find the most costly (in terms of resources) way to do something first and only change to better and more efficient ways when it becomes less profitable. We should have been off of gasoline powered cars years ago but the corporations didn't have the drive to make something so drastically different because they already knew gas cars made money and just thought, "We have plenty of gas, we'll be fine!"
Reply With Quote
  #35 (permalink)  
Old October 11, 2011, 06:21 PM
lightninstrikr's Avatar
Top Prospect
F@H
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Virginia
Posts: 121

My System Specs

Default

Hmm, would you say this is comparable to the AX850?
Newegg.com - Mushkin Enhanced MKNPSJL1000 1000W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Active PFC Power Supply

With this deal Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more! I essentially would get a $200 PSU for $100...it's not Modular which is a bit of a con for me but for $100 savings I could get over it.
Reply With Quote
  #36 (permalink)  
Old October 11, 2011, 06:29 PM
JD's Avatar
JD JD is offline
Moderator
F@H
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 6,891

My System Specs

Default

The price seems too good to be true, so I'm assuming it has lesser quality components inside, or doesn't actually output 1050W.
Reply With Quote
  #37 (permalink)  
Old October 11, 2011, 06:39 PM
lightninstrikr's Avatar
Top Prospect
F@H
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Virginia
Posts: 121

My System Specs

Default

Well in the 1000w category silverstone and antec had similar pricing (one with a large sale like the mushkin) and seasonic's platinum is only $240. The mushkin has a $40 discount and the package deal with the 2600k gives another $40 off so it could be either IMO. Didn't really know people's impressions of Mushkins though so I thought I'd ask.
Reply With Quote
  #38 (permalink)  
Old October 11, 2011, 07:09 PM
Soultribunal's Avatar
Moderator
F@H
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 8,065

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightninstrikr View Post
Well in the 1000w category silverstone and antec had similar pricing (one with a large sale like the mushkin) and seasonic's platinum is only $240. The mushkin has a $40 discount and the package deal with the 2600k gives another $40 off so it could be either IMO. Didn't really know people's impressions of Mushkins though so I thought I'd ask.

Their PSU's are made by TopPower, and not everything in Topowers Stable was good. So its a crap shoot if what you get is decent.

Antec is historically made by Delta which does do a very solid job on 95% of their line, the Silverstone (if strider Plus) are very good ENhance platforms that I would have no problem suggesting to anyone.

Consider those, much better choices,

ST
__________________




"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Reply With Quote
  #39 (permalink)  
Old October 11, 2011, 07:39 PM
lightninstrikr's Avatar
Top Prospect
F@H
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Virginia
Posts: 121

My System Specs

Default

I think I'm going to shell out the extra money for the Seasonic 1000w Platinum Series... It's a good brand, more power than I'll need even if I SLI, and with a 7 year warranty it's a fairly safe buy. Might even pay for itself before the warranty dies out...

Sadly it's a good chunk of change but if I keep looking for deals on these PSU's I'm not only going to drive myself crazy but I'll also probably get something sub par because of a better price (not on purpose). I'd rather not blow out a $1300 rig because of that.

Thanks for the input Soultribunal and everyone else who contributed. You were all a great help and even though I may not have picked what you suggested I valued the advice greatly and will keep in mind what you said that is relevant later.

I'll be posting a tentative final build tomorrow in the link below so check it out if you're interested or want to help!
New Mid-High gaming RIG, need opinions!
Reply With Quote
  #40 (permalink)  
Old October 11, 2011, 09:59 PM
geokilla's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,624

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
lol, yeah Toronto is just out of control and Rob Ford surely isn't helping things. I believe our hydro rates are going to be the highest in the developed world in the next couple of years, so obviously things like PSU efficiency will mean major cost savings. Every watt counts!

Gaming components really need to look at reducing power consumption while still scaling up performance though, there's no reason a gaming PC should be drawing upwards of 600W these days. Software and hardware needs to become more efficient.
Not going to get too far off topic and into politics, but let's just say I agree with some of the cuts that I can think of off the top of my head.
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes