Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 10, 2011, 07:48 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightninstrikr View Post
These are what I am currently looking at (in order of preferred). I'd like to have modular but it isn't a necessity.

Newegg.com - Antec CP-850 850W Continuous Power CPX SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC "compatible with Core i7" Power Supply
Newegg.com - CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX850M 850W ATX12V v2.31 / EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular High Performance Power Supply
Newegg.com - Seasonic SS-850HT 850W ATX12V v2.31,EPS12V v2.92 80Plus Silver Certified, Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies
Newegg.com - Antec High Current Gamer Series HCG-900 900W ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V v2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply
Newegg.com - CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX850 V2 850W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power Supply

Thoughts?

Oh and questino for you JD: Editing a post does NOT change the thread to being unread correct? Basically an edit will cause no one to be aware of new information posted correct?
Correct only a new post will bump it into the "New posts"

You can always add new info to the OP and then bump the thread, stating "new info in OP"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old October 10, 2011, 07:50 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergrover View Post
Correct only a new post will bump it into the "New posts"

You can always add new info to the OP and then bump the thread, stating "new info in OP"
Ahh okie dokie, thanks SG! :D

P.S. I'll smuggle cookies in for cookie monster if you know where he's hiding...
Old October 10, 2011, 08:00 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightninstrikr View Post
These are what I am currently looking at (in order of preferred). I'd like to have modular but it isn't a necessity.

Newegg.com - Antec CP-850 850W Continuous Power CPX SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC "compatible with Core i7" Power Supply
Newegg.com - CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX850M 850W ATX12V v2.31 / EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular High Performance Power Supply
Newegg.com - Seasonic SS-850HT 850W ATX12V v2.31,EPS12V v2.92 80Plus Silver Certified, Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies
Newegg.com - Antec High Current Gamer Series HCG-900 900W ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V v2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply
Newegg.com - CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX850 V2 850W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power Supply

Thoughts?

Oh and question for you JD: Editing a post does NOT change the thread to being unread correct? Basically an edit will cause no one to be aware of new information posted correct?
You have one Silver rated (85%), one 80 plus (80%) and the rest bronze (82%).

I like Seasonics over the TX series (CWT is the OEM iirc) so I would pick it. It is also the more efficient of the bunch. :)

I would still recommend the Corsair AX series though or Season X series (or even better the new Platnium series). They are some of the best out there...BUT they do cost more too.

NCIX US - Buy CMPSU-850AX - Corsair Professional Series Gold AX850 CMPSU-850AX 850W ATX Fully Modular 80PLUS Gold Power Supply - Corsair - Great price and fast delivery

Newegg.com - SeaSonic Platinum-1000 1000W ATX12V / EPS12V 80 PLUS PLATINUM Certified Modular Power Supply

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr

Last edited by AkG; October 10, 2011 at 08:05 PM.
Old October 10, 2011, 08:02 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Only fits in select Antec cases as it's CPX, not ATX sized. Not sure if the quality is any better...
Obviously my recommendation as I already linked it ;)
Decent, but it's of the OEM/value flavor. I personally despise of that silver/grey colour and don't by anything that uses it.
I think the HCP series is good, but not the best.
Again, I'd recommend this.
Old October 10, 2011, 08:03 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
You have one Silver rated (85%), one 80 plus (80%) and the rest bronze (82%).

I like Seasonics over the TX series (CWT is the OEM iirc) so I would pick it. It is also the more efficient of the bunch. :)

I would still recommend the Corsair AX series though or Season X series. They are some of the best out there...BUT they do cost a more too.

NCIX US - Buy CMPSU-850AX - Corsair Professional Series Gold AX850 CMPSU-850AX 850W ATX Fully Modular 80PLUS Gold Power Supply - Corsair - Great price and fast delivery
Hmm you know I have wondered since I bought my x-850, basicly the same psu yet the Corsair is always about 20 bux cheaper.

Anyways agreed on the ax850, dam fine psu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old October 10, 2011, 08:23 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Oops didn't mean to link both versions of the TX850... that's what 12 hour work days do to you I guess lol.

@AkG Do you know of a good chart to compare that platinum certified PSU to the other levels in terms of savings on power bills (I couldn't find a terrific one or find a cents per 1000w for Virginia...)? I've been on a bit of a green kick lately so I might just shell out the extra $100 now, get more power than I'll need for a while, and likely have it pay the difference in price in 2 years and itself in 4 max.

Thx JD for the clarification on those special built PSU's. I assumed it just meant they were going to be perfect fits in their own brand of cases, yet again I will blame the Overtime hours :D
Old October 10, 2011, 08:37 PM

The savings isnt all that much. You are talking 80 vs 85 vs 90 percent'ish efficiency (and this is just VERY ROUGH, "off the cuff" numbers here). So on say 700 watts that means 840 vs 805 vs 770 watts at the wall. Say 12 cents a kw. so thats 10.08 cents vs 9.66 vs 9.24 cents.

I buy the more efficient ones as they usually are better made, make less noise (as they produce less heat as a byproduct) and are generally better PSUs. The PSU is one area I NEVER skimp on. It can kill ALL the other parts if things go bad.

The AX series from Corsair have SEVEN year warranty's the TX has 5. If that is important... its a nice bonus. YMMV and its not like any of those are bad choices. Just like JD doesnt like Seasonic because of looks...its all depends on what is important to YOU. :)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old October 10, 2011, 09:56 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
The savings isnt all that much. You are talking 80 vs 85 vs 90 percent'ish efficiency (and this is just VERY ROUGH, "off the cuff" numbers here). So on say 700 watts that means 840 vs 805 vs 770 watts at the wall. Say 12 cents a kw. so thats 10.08 cents vs 9.66 vs 9.24 cents.
That's per hour though...so $2.21/day ($809/year) vs $2.41/day ($883/year) and 12c/kWh is a rather high estimate.

However, it's very rare that the PSU will actually draw 700W for 24/7, so it's worse case values. Unless of course you're folding or otherwise loading the CPU/GPU continuously.

Potentially though, it could pay for itself in a 2-3 years.
Old October 10, 2011, 10:11 PM

Thats what I pay...BEFORE taxes and fees and other BS. In reality its more like 18cents. But yes. That is worse case scenario. For me it makes sense..but I consider it only a bonus to the other reasons I mentioned. :)