Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 9, 2011, 01:29 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightninstrikr View Post
I am a little confused as to why my thread was moved from Linus Q/A though... there are many more questions like it that were not moved. I understand it fits in the PSU section but it was more a question directed at Linus (and opened for general inquiry as well) than a generic "what should i get?" thread. I'm not trying to QQ I just wanna know why so I can avoid putting threads in the wrong place in the future...
We are trying to keep the Linus section to only threads posted by Linus himself. Otherwise, everyone else should be using the respective related forum sections.

Likewise, no need to include Linus' name in your thread title either. He's probably not going to be the first to answer, if at all. We have a very knowledgeable community here and hopefully they'll provide you with the answers you're looking for.

There's also an "Edit" button, please use it rather than posting 3 minutes after a previous post.

Back on topic, if you want to SLI, then yeah 850W would be a wise choice. I would recommend the Corsair HX850 as that's what I run in my system, but the AX850 is on sale this week so I'd say go with that since it's an even better unit: NCIX.com - Buy Corsair Professional Series Gold AX850 CMPSU-850AX 850W ATX Fully Modular 80PLUS Gold Power Supply - Corsair - CMPSU-850AX - in Canada
Old October 9, 2011, 02:38 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
We are trying to keep the Linus section to only threads posted by Linus himself. Otherwise, everyone else should be using the respective related forum sections.

Likewise, no need to include Linus' name in your thread title either. He's probably not going to be the first to answer, if at all. We have a very knowledgeable community here and hopefully they'll provide you with the answers you're looking for.

There's also an "Edit" button, please use it rather than posting 3 minutes after a previous post.

Back on topic, if you want to SLI, then yeah 850W would be a wise choice. I would recommend the Corsair HX850 as that's what I run in my system, but the AX850 is on sale this week so I'd say go with that since it's an even better unit: NCIX.com - Buy Corsair Professional Series Gold AX850 CMPSU-850AX 850W ATX Fully Modular 80PLUS Gold Power Supply - Corsair - CMPSU-850AX - in Canada
Ahh thanks JD I didn't know there was an attempt to limit it to his threads only. Sorry on the Edit snafu, I didn't think the second related to the first enough to edit (a lot of the time I edit and someone was already responding and that causes issues in communication) and I simply forgot when I posted the third.

I would take advantage of that sale but I am in the USA and the US side of the site does not have that same deal right now :( Thanks for the heads up anyway. (I'd shop from the US side of the site more but it is not very easy to narrow your search sometime, ex. when I was looking at PSU's I couldn't specify a wattage restriction)

Edit: Oh and I did attempt to delete the post that no longer had relevance instead of posting again but I did not see the option...
Old October 9, 2011, 02:45 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Stop quadruple posting. Use the edit function.

Corsair PSUs are highly recommended. Two power two GTX 570, I would suggest something like the AX758. AX850 to be on the safe side.

I personally have no problems with OCZ PSUs, though no one seems to like them. My old GameXStream 600W powered my rig till around a month ago when it died on me. Now the Antec Earthwatts 500 that I'm using sucks..
Old October 9, 2011, 03:29 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
Stop quadruple posting. Use the edit function.
The issue of multi-posting has already been addressed and resolved...if I could delete my useless posts I would have when they became so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
Corsair PSUs are highly recommended. Two power two GTX 570, I would suggest something like the AX758. AX850 to be on the safe side.

I personally have no problems with OCZ PSUs, though no one seems to like them. My old GameXStream 600W powered my rig till around a month ago when it died on me. Now the Antec Earthwatts 500 that I'm using sucks..
Thanks for the input!
Old October 9, 2011, 03:46 PM
MVP
F@H

Why ask Linus when you can ask JonnyGuru?

WORK KANG: Silverstone SG03 | EVGA x58 Micro w/ 920 @ 4.2Ghz | Sapphire 5970 | 12GB Dominator DDR3-2000 | 240GB Revodrive X2 | SilverStone ST650F
MINI KANG: BitFenix Prodigy | Asus P8Z77i Deluxe mITX w/ 2600K @ 4.5Ghz | EVGA GTX 680 2GB | 8GB Vengeance DDR3-1866 | 2x Intel 160GB SSD | Corsair AX650
KANGZILLA: Custom MM Ascension | SR-2 | 2x X5650 | 2x SilverStone ST1000F | 2x Intel 160GB SSD | 15x 120mm rads | Under construction...

Old October 9, 2011, 04:41 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liu Kang View Post
Why ask Linus when you can ask JonnyGuru?
Because I know nothing about that site or it's members and I have been taught a plethora of things from Linus' Tech Tips videos?

What Linus said in his videos made sense and he held a lot of the same views towards tech that I do. I respect his opinion and figured he would be a good person to ask (if I could even get him to notice anything from me) if I wanted a point of view similar to mine instructing me on what to be looking for.

All that being said I'll still check out your link, I just asked him specifically because we use the resources we know and trust first.
Old October 9, 2011, 05:39 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Because I know nothing about that site or it's members and I have been taught a plethora of things from Linus' Tech Tips videos?

What Linus said in his videos made sense and he held a lot of the same views towards tech that I do. I respect his opinion and figured he would be a good person to ask (if I could even get him to notice anything from me) if I wanted a point of view similar to mine instructing me on what to be looking for.

All that being said I'll still check out your link, I just asked him specifically because we use the resources we know and trust first.
Jonnyguru is well respected site, if I am looking for a PSU I look at his reviews first. Was one of our very early members but dosnt stop by much anymore.:(
I'll chime in with another recommendation of the AX-850 or the Seasonic X-850 ( same basic psu ) for SLI.
My x-850 powers my xfired system without breaking a sweat.

Heh dont worry about the editing ( I am not saying dont try to edit mind you) and multi posting, just more growing pains on the forum and your not the issue. But a new format.

Welcome to the forums, dont worry the members do bite but hardly any of them are rabid......... well except enaberif

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old October 9, 2011, 05:59 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergrover View Post
Jonnyguru is well respected site, if I am looking for a PSU I look at his reviews first. Was one of our very early members but dosnt stop by much anymore.:(
I'll chime in with another recommendation of the AX-850 or the Seasonic X-850 ( same basic psu ) for SLI.
My x-850 powers my xfired system without breaking a sweat.

Heh dont worry about the editing ( I am not saying dont try to edit mind you) and multi posting, just more growing pains on the forum and your not the issue. But a new format.

Welcome to the forums, dont worry the members do bite but hardly any of them are rabid......... well except enaberif
Thanks for the info :) I've checked out Jonnyguru and it sounds intelligent just a little too much for my tired brain atm lol...

Ehh you get biters wherever you go and since I work at a Vet Hospital I've had worse ;] Thanks for the welcome!
Old October 9, 2011, 08:39 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Thanks for the info :) I've checked out Jonnyguru and it sounds intelligent just a little too much for my tired brain atm lol...
Yeah his reviews are some of the most in-depth in the industry I'd say. If he says something is good, you can rest easy knowing that it will suit your needs fine.

And sorry, didn't notice you were from the US. I always just assume people who follow Linus/NCIX are Canadian...

I'd go with either of these, depending if you need modular cabling or not:
Newegg.com - CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX850 V2 850W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power Supply
Newegg.com - CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX850M 850W ATX12V v2.31 / EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular High Performance Power Supply
Old October 10, 2011, 03:32 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
Yeah his reviews are some of the most in-depth in the industry I'd say. If he says something is good, you can rest easy knowing that it will suit your needs fine.

And sorry, didn't notice you were from the US. I always just assume people who follow Linus/NCIX are Canadian...

I'd go with either of these, depending if you need modular cabling or not:
Newegg.com - CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX850 V2 850W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power Supply
Newegg.com - CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX850M 850W ATX12V v2.31 / EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular High Performance Power Supply
It's ok I didn't specify that I was from the US in this post like I did in the other so it's my bad :P

Yeah I was looking at both of those, definitely want to go with modular for a small increase in price but I'll be looking at a lot of sites over the next few weeks to hopefully catch a good MIR, sale, or discount deal.

Now I just have to remember to look every day after work even with my overtime hours lol...
Thanks for the input!