Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 1, 2011, 06:34 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Question About to do full sleeving job, should I change my PSU befoire doing so?

As some of you might have seen in my last threat I ordered a full MDPC-X sleeving kit and I'm going to do that task in a wekk when it gets here.

But it recently got me thinking, I am about o sleeve my one year old XFX 750W PSU, Would now be a good time to replace it? I mean I dont REALY need more power Im only running a GTX570 with a mild OC. Im just scared to have my PSU die on me with a 100$ sleeving job and a full day of work on it.........

What do you guys think? What would you do?

PS: Im not a HUGE fan of SLi setups even if it would probably look damn awesome but realisticaly its useless for me since I mostly play wow and some random 360 ports like Darksiders
Old October 1, 2011, 12:15 PM
MVP

Another option you have is making/buying extensions for the essentials, that way, even when replacing a PSU, you wouldn't need to re-sleeve much of the PSU
Old October 1, 2011, 12:40 PM

My System Specs

Don't know much about your PSU. But most quality PSU's should last many many years normally.
Old October 1, 2011, 06:40 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

While like Lowfat I can't comment on the quality of an XFX psu, but power supplies don't typically just roll over and die within the first 5 years of use (quality ones anyways) I still have an XT power supply kicking around somewhere that works like a charm...and it is rolling on 20 years old (was used for 10 years of that)
Old October 6, 2011, 12:31 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Some power supplies die early. However I am 99% sure that that XFX model has Seasonic internals which are the best. I would get extension cables or buy a power supply that is fully modular like the corsair AX series. Then make your own cables for it.