Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 9, 2011, 12:08 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Why do people dislike OCZ?

If someone could tell me it would be much appreciated. My friend has been using a PSU which is built by the same company as OCZ's for a year now and it's perfectly fine.
Why does everyone seem to dislike these powersupplies? My guess is it's 'poorly' built. Just leave a comment, I'm interested :).

Corsair 550d
Intel i5 Quad Core 2500k @4ghz
GTX 570
Asus
Corsair HX 750W
G.Skill sniper 2x4GB
OCZ Agility Series 60GB SSD
Old September 9, 2011, 12:31 AM
Hall Of Fame

because they suck.

(and not well constructed, I've had two pop on me in 3 years.)
Old September 9, 2011, 06:18 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Some of the more Recent OCZ powersupplies that are being labeled by OCZ are better (But still not as good as the competition).

A lot of it has to do with company image for many of us who used them had many constatly die under loads that they were more than capable of. Most people know the 12 units I myself went through, finally replacing them with the VX/TX series from Corsair.
A lot of times too even though there is a OEM 'platform' the end client will make tweaks to the actual design to suit their own specifications. So there are instances where a good platform can be cheapened out to be bad (Arctic cooling did this with a few vaunted Seasonic designs) and a cheapened platform can actually be made good.

OCZ proved as well that it can make a good platform bad with their 'dissolution' of PC Power and Cooling, much to the anger of the enthusiast community.

They have a long road to go before they win back confidence in their designs. As it stands there are much better options then OCZ,

Hope this helps,

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old September 9, 2011, 06:21 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

In short... they had good stuff in the late 90's early 2000s. They have been around a long time but in recent years, they have lowered their price point and target audience and the enthousiast who wants good quality should look elsewhere now.
Old September 9, 2011, 07:18 AM
Banned

Not to mention the rebate scandal, the decline on the quality of there ram product & ect .... they should have been in a position to be a powerhouse on MANY pc componets. But somewhere, something went wrong & now the only thing there good at/for is there SSD's which as well hasn't been without issue as of late.

Back in the day anything they made you couldn't go wrong with & where ususaly at a good price. Its why i sold my ocz ram while it had value still & moved on to try patriot & now hopfully on monday i'll be also tryin 2 mushkin kits.
Old September 9, 2011, 09:28 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbay View Post
If someone could tell me it would be much appreciated. My friend has been using a PSU which is built by the same company as OCZ's for a year now and it's perfectly fine.
Why does everyone seem to dislike these power supplies? My guess is it's 'poorly' built. Just leave a comment, I'm interested :).
I havn't had any problems from any of the OCZ production I have used there ram PSUs and have had no problems , what I personally think is that since they have so many different products that people are a little nervous unlike say a company like Gigabyte which deal in Motherboards and video cards OCZ does PSUs ram SSD hard drives out of those the only two things that are realated is the Ram and the SSDs.
Old September 9, 2011, 09:45 AM
Rookie

My StealthXStream 2 and Z-series PSU are all running fine, my Solid 3 SSD works well too. So no hate here.

Also, when I was denied a rebate once on a PSU I e-mailed one of their staff and made the rebate center give me a rebate. So... I guess I have nothing but good things to say about OCZ at the moment.

Failure rates of Corsair PSUs, especially some models, are a lot higher than most people think as well: Components returns rates (page 3: Power supplies) - BeHardware

The bottom line with power supplies is don't hate a brand, hate a model.
Old September 9, 2011, 09:49 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Also keep in mind that rebates generally are handled by a third party company, and not OCZ/corsair etc
Old September 9, 2011, 10:11 AM
F@H

My System Specs

The problem with PSU's as well, is even though they 'survive' and work in your system if other parts start dying because of poor protections and regulations on the POwer side you might never know.

TestTube - That Table is very old and not reliable. Corsair might get a higher Failure rate only because they sell on average 3-4x as many units as the others. Its all volume.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old September 9, 2011, 12:09 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I don't hate them. Its just that usually you can get a better built psu for the same price. From what I have read they are usually efficient and can deliver labelled wattage, but not more. Some models are better than others, and some are not very good at all. With a psu like seasonic I would recommend any psu in any of the model lines without a fear of it being a bad model.