Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 4, 2011, 03:09 AM
Rookie

Default Are my PSU good enough to run GTX 560ti?

Hello!
I have the same old question as everybody else. Is my "Delta" 460 watt PSU big enough to run this? I'm gonna buy a new GPU (GTX 560ti) my old one was a GT 440:

Processor Intel Core i7 processor 2600 - 3,4 GHz
RAM: 4 GB DDR3
Harddisk 1000 GB SATA 3G - 7200 o/m
GPU: GTX 560ti

Thanks in advance!!!

Last edited by danthebrave; September 4, 2011 at 11:59 AM.
Old September 4, 2011, 03:24 AM
Hall Of Fame

you got a total of 36amps on 12v lol

plug it in watch it blow

190 watts max on the pcie you cutting it damn close

evga e760 +920 4.8 water5.0+ on phase linx stable
gtx285 tri-sli
dfi ut-p35 lt
e8600@4.6 1.38v
too much ram
Old September 4, 2011, 03:27 AM
Rookie

Thanks... LOL. I'm pretty much noob, though I had to be sure. I've got a HP Elite 520sc and I checked out some of the other HP's the store was selling. There was another one also with a 460 watt PSU which was runnning like 8 gigs of ram, 2600k i7 CPU and 2 HDD + GTX 550ti. Thanks.
Old September 4, 2011, 03:58 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by danthebrave View Post
Thanks... LOL. I'm pretty much noob, though I had to be sure. I've got a HP Elite 520sc and I checked out some of the other HP's the store was selling. There was another one also with a 460 watt PSU which was runnning like 8 gigs of ram, 2600k i7 CPU and 2 HDD + GTX 550ti. Thanks.
its cutting it close
any overclock will stress it
and its already @ the limit lol

mannn why an hp lol they give ya the bare minimum
why a 2600 the k is only a few $ more
raisink the blk stresses the mobo more than stressin the cpu
its made by fps but still lol

even the cheapest board better than a hp board lol

the way i see it as long as you dont overclock should be fine
but i hate cuttin it close

can you even overclock the hp throught bios
maybe throught setfsb you might be able to
just find out who made the board

evga e760 +920 4.8 water5.0+ on phase linx stable
gtx285 tri-sli
dfi ut-p35 lt
e8600@4.6 1.38v
too much ram
Old September 4, 2011, 04:29 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsamz_ View Post
its cutting it close
any overclock will stress it
and its already @ the limit lol

mannn why an hp lol they give ya the bare minimum
why a 2600 the k is only a few $ more
raisink the blk stresses the mobo more than stressin the cpu
its made by fps but still lol

even the cheapest board better than a hp board lol

the way i see it as long as you dont overclock should be fine
but i hate cuttin it close

can you even overclock the hp throught bios
maybe throught setfsb you might be able to
just find out who made the board
Hehe it is the 2600k i7 :) Well.. I chose the HP because my old PC was broken. I still had garanty, so I could choose a new PC from the store for free :)! But the only desktops they had was HPs!
It got the H67 motherboard which CANNOT overclock the i7 CPU, but I have no intension doing that whatso ever ;)
PS. My old pc was 3 years old and had a Intel core 2 duo and GT8800, so I saw it as a great deal!
Old September 4, 2011, 09:00 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Hmm maybe we can start you onto PC building the same way I did - take an OEM PC and stuff a better PSU in it
(note in my case I was using a Dell)

A newer 500W is the lowest I would go for a quad + GTX 560 Ti. That combination usually will draw in the upper 250W to 300W range - see this review that has a 2600k as their test rig:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...4,2845-15.html
Note the extra headroom is so the PSU doesn't get too hot, which is generally a concern if you're using an HP case with poor intake or no intake fans.
Consider any Corsair, any Seasonic, the Antec HCG or High Current Pro series, or Silverstone at that wattage.
Old September 4, 2011, 10:41 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by frontier204 View Post
Hmm maybe we can start you onto PC building the same way I did - take an OEM PC and stuff a better PSU in it
(note in my case I was using a Dell)

A newer 500W is the lowest I would go for a quad + GTX 560 Ti. That combination usually will draw in the upper 250W to 300W range - see this review that has a 2600k as their test rig:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...4,2845-15.html
Note the extra headroom is so the PSU doesn't get too hot, which is generally a concern if you're using an HP case with poor intake or no intake fans.
Consider any Corsair, any Seasonic, the Antec HCG or High Current Pro series, or Silverstone at that wattage.
Thanks! Yeah I noticed that there's not much space for the PSU fans in the case... I wasn't sure either if the case can fit a standard size PSU in it. But I think I'll go for some kind of Corsair or Cooler master PSU!
Old September 4, 2011, 04:51 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I was not talking about PSU specific fans, but intake fans that pull cool air into your case, usually placed at the front of the case.

I'd definitely choose a Corsair over a Cooler Master if I had the choice. Cooler Master has a set of mediocre PSUs in their lineup, and it's hard to know which one you have without looking at reviews. The other brands I mentioned (at least in the last two years) have pretty consistently made good units that can stand up to continuous use at their rated wattage.

Definitely measure the length that you have and compare it to the PSU you select before buying.
Old September 5, 2011, 11:00 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by frontier204 View Post
I was not talking about PSU specific fans, but intake fans that pull cool air into your case, usually placed at the front of the case.

I'd definitely choose a Corsair over a Cooler Master if I had the choice. Cooler Master has a set of mediocre PSUs in their lineup, and it's hard to know which one you have without looking at reviews. The other brands I mentioned (at least in the last two years) have pretty consistently made good units that can stand up to continuous use at their rated wattage.

Definitely measure the length that you have and compare it to the PSU you select before buying.
Thanks for the tips
Old September 7, 2011, 09:48 AM
Rookie

You might be able to; I'm running an 8800GT and an Athlon 210 @ 3.8GHz on a Delta 300w I got from an old HP and it works well. They seem to be well built PSUs.

If you look at power consumption, the 560 Ti maxes out at 350w: AnandTech - NVIDIA's GeForce GTX 560 Ti: Upsetting The $250 Market