Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 16, 2008, 10:06 AM
Top Prospect

Default low heat emission power supply (fanless?)

so i have a triple rad in the from of my 9 bay case, it sucks air from the side and back and pushes it out the front (my case looks like a thermaltake viking case, but isnt). So if i get a regular PSU with a fan it will compete for air space with my triple rad. My proposed solution is to get a 'fanless PSU' , and make aluminum heatsinks that connect the PSU chips to the top of my case (this has large surface area and should be a sufficient heat sink) .

But before i start machining heatsinks, are there are already fanless PSUs? i need about ~700 watts.

Oh and dont worry about the graphics card, this one is going to be a server build (still not sure what im going to do about those 16 dimms though, maybe ill add them to the WC look after the CPUs)
Old February 16, 2008, 10:16 AM
Hall Of Fame

Never seen a reliable fanless PSU in that kind of power range. And unless you're running really high-powered fans, you shouldn't have issue with the rad fans stealing air from the PSU. And really, if the fans are that powerful, they'll drown out the sound of a noisy PSU fan.

I was worried about that sort of thing at one point with my Sonata III, since my PSU and exhaust fan are pulling air from the exact same area, but the PSU doesn't even need to ramp up.

Using the computer case to dissipate heat is pretty much a fail. Besides, I can't see you getting adequate contact pressure between the PSU chips and the top of the case, without possibly bending or damaging the PSU's components. Nevermind the increased distance the heat needs to conduct before being dissipated.
Old February 16, 2008, 10:50 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Correct me if I am wrong but aren't many PSU's heatsinks live? Suppose you could use little ceramic plates for the screw&nut then just use non-conductive thermal pad or something.

If you have room you could have a duct in there to direct air from outside and completely avoid the whole issue.
Old February 16, 2008, 10:54 AM
Top Prospect

See thats the problem, my fans are thermatake 80CFM on the rad, but when i mount them on the rad the air they blow feels like 20CFM, so i dont want it to have any extra hassle from the PSU which is pushing out air in the opposite way. Its like a tug of war between my PSU and the 3 severely crippled fans which i have in the from of my case. The intake is the side panel. I was also thinking of getting some duct tubeing (like for the drying machine, aka dryer,) and routing the 120mm exaust fan port at the back to connect to the PSU fan intake. So that air gets sucking in that back port, takes a U turn thru the PSU and back out the back. And so the 3 rad fans are taking air from the case side panel.
Old February 16, 2008, 11:25 AM
Top Prospect

Correction : yes i just found out they are live

But if i use a duct, then I lose a whole 120mm slot, which is a chance to put another fan in there which would help the whole system alot

Last edited by elninio; February 16, 2008 at 11:33 AM.
Old February 16, 2008, 12:39 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by elninio View Post
Correction : yes i just found out they are live
Probe of a meter or finger?
Quote:
Originally Posted by elninio View Post
But if i use a duct, then I lose a whole 120mm slot, which is a chance to put another fan in there which would help the whole system alot
Then perhaps you should take air from the front or the other side panel? What about pulling from the top of the case? A dremel should be able to handle it you know.
Old February 16, 2008, 12:41 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

The Pc&P silencer 750w has a tiny 80mm fan at low speed and is "designed" not to need much air cooling. Mine never seems to vent hot air and you cant even feel the air in the exhaust.

It may be a good compromise if your looking for a psu that does not compete for air with the water cooling (I think thats what you meant anyway).

GPU: PA120.3|S.Res.rev2|2x EK FC blocks| MCP655.
Old February 16, 2008, 12:56 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacJunky View Post
Probe of a meter or finger?
Then perhaps you should take air from the front or the other side panel? What about pulling from the top of the case? A dremel should be able to handle it you know.

I dont want to have holes inthe top of my case (else i would ahve put the rad there instead). The order side panel is behind the motherboard so it wouldnt help. The fron is where the rad is. and its blowing how air out
Old February 16, 2008, 12:58 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by magictorch View Post
The Pc&P silencer 750w has a tiny 80mm fan at low speed and is "designed" not to need much air cooling. Mine never seems to vent hot air and you cant even feel the air in the exhaust.

It may be a good compromise if your looking for a psu that does not compete for air with the water cooling (I think thats what you meant anyway).
How about any of the ultra ones? i hope i can find the PCP one in toronto..
EDIT : tigerdirect has it, but i forgot to mention, im really cheap :P, I think ill beat an ultra and think of some cooling mod for it
EDIT : why is there such a huge jump in price from 600W psus to 700W ? (almost double in price!)

Last edited by elninio; February 16, 2008 at 01:05 PM.
Old February 16, 2008, 01:01 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

And I am guessing that there is just no room beside the top bays for a biiig hole and custom skinny duct?