Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 16, 2008, 01:42 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

The reason that these fanless PSUs are able to get away with being fanless is because they are so efficient. That means that less power is wasted as heat.

If you get a highly efficient power supply like a Corsair HX620 or pretty much ANY 80Plus rated unit, you should also have a quiet PSU because less cooling is required.
Old February 17, 2008, 02:14 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacJunky View Post
And I am guessing that there is just no room beside the top bays for a biiig hole and custom skinny duct?
heh, no not at all, the case is 9 bay so the rad takes up all 9 bays, and the extra bit of space i insulated with foam padding.
Old February 17, 2008, 02:17 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
The reason that these fanless PSUs are able to get away with being fanless is because they are so efficient. That means that less power is wasted as heat.

If you get a highly efficient power supply like a Corsair HX620 or pretty much ANY 80Plus rated unit, you should also have a quiet PSU because less cooling is required.
that would also go for the reverse (if quiet, then cool), but quiet part is a trend i probably cant afford. What say you if slowed down the PSU supply and let it run a bit hotter? (maybe add a custom bigger heatsink inside to help remove heat from the transistors into the air?)
Old February 17, 2008, 09:14 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by elninio View Post
heh, no not at all, the case is 9 bay so the rad takes up all 9 bays, and the extra bit of space i insulated with foam padding.
I mean beside the bays themselves. You know how back in "the day" to get a 5.25" drive in/out you had to remove both side panels to get to screws on both sides? Well, I mean that area right on the other side of the side panel where there is that little gap between the 5.25" bays and the side of the case.
Old February 17, 2008, 10:29 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
I mean beside the bays themselves. You know how back in "the day" to get a 5.25" drive in/out you had to remove both side panels to get to screws on both sides? Well, I mean that area right on the other side of the side panel where there is that little gap between the 5.25" bays and the side of the case.
Yes, there is that space, but it is blocked completely in the front by the rad, any air that enters through the front is forced to go through the rad. (im planning on putting my hardrives in the side space, how sneaky is that? :P)
Old February 17, 2008, 11:14 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Ok, how about this. Open the following up in paint and show me where the rad is. I think we are having a communications error.
Old February 18, 2008, 01:08 PM
Top Prospect

I bought the Antec TrueBlue 650, its reviewed on the main page of this site. Its has a 120mm fan, its very quiet and seems to work very well too me.

I can't hear it at all. Seems all the noise comes from video card fans.
Old March 6, 2008, 08:26 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Ok, how about this. Open the following up in paint and show me where the rad is. I think we are having a communications error.
The case is the width of the 5.25 inch bays + half inch on each side for the swinging doors, the rad is pulling air from the back and spewing out the front. there are exactly 9 bays and nothing more, adn the rad and three fans takes use of these fully. The case is the 'qirus' one from btecanada.com its is similar to the old coolermaster stacker case but it has 9 bays only