Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 29, 2011, 09:05 PM
Rookie

Default Power Supply Testers

I've been having problems with my PC, and I'm thinking it may be a power supply issue, I was wondering if any of u guys can recommend a power supply tester.

From my research the Coolmax PS-224 LCD Power Supply Tester looks like the best option. However it like others doesn't have a 8-pin PCIe plug, so I was wondering if there is anything better?

Here a video to give u an idea what I'm talking about:
LCD Computer Power Supply Tester Demo - YouTube

PS 224 LCD PSU Tester &Toughpower 750W - YouTube

Last edited by El Topo; August 29, 2011 at 09:17 PM.
Old August 29, 2011, 09:37 PM
Banned
F@H

its ok,for the 20 or so odd bucks you pay.

not only it can usually tell the difference between a dud and a 'good' one, also if its a brand new psu you are

plugging in for the first time, it better fry the afermentioend 20 dollar toy than your rig :)

i always plug new psus in me unit(older,no lcd) while keeping a certain loads with some hungry fans and a pletora of old

hard drives and cd roms :) and a few water pumps and usb devices sometimes on bigger psus to generate over a 100 watts of real load

similar to booting up an i7 machine with onboard video.
Old August 29, 2011, 09:42 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah, that's not a load tester. You could have a PSU that tests out fine on that thing but loses it when actually under a load.
Old August 30, 2011, 05:25 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post
Yeah, that's not a load tester. You could have a PSU that tests out fine on that thing but loses it when actually under a load.

+100 000 to that. How many time a PSU can power those little sucker and fail to power a full system. best way to test a PSU is having it plugged into a computer and insert multimeter probe in the connector ( where the cable crimp )

BUT!!!! NEVER EVER DO THAT if you have no idea what you are doing!!!

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old August 30, 2011, 06:25 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Hmm all it is a fancy Volt meter, it tells you nothing if any of your rails are actually supplying you the correct amount of current to your devices.
Old August 30, 2011, 09:31 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
Hmm all it is a fancy Volt meter, it tells you nothing if any of your rails are actually supplying you the correct amount of current to your devices.
Actually, it's also one of the few things that will give you a reading of your PSU's power good signal. A faulty PG signal can result in all sorts of weird issues, but swapping a PSU will pretty much determine the same thing.
Old August 30, 2011, 12:14 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I would never recommend taking a PSU from a "dead" system and putting it into a working system to test. You could end up cooking the working system.
Old August 30, 2011, 12:19 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilya View Post
Actually, it's also one of the few things that will give you a reading of your PSU's power good signal. A faulty PG signal can result in all sorts of weird issues, but swapping a PSU will pretty much determine the same thing.
For now anyways, for now
Old August 30, 2011, 12:20 PM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post
I would never recommend taking a PSU from a "dead" system and putting it into a working system to test. You could end up cooking the working system.
and thats when the tester comes into play. i fried a couple,well worth the frying, i shall add.
Old August 30, 2011, 12:21 PM
Hall Of Fame

PSU tester does nothing more than say "Hey I got a live one here!"

It doesn't tell you load when crap is running which is where power supplies generally fail>!