Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 9, 2011, 12:38 PM
Rookie

Default OCZ vs XFX

Recently I have been looking at power supplies around 750W and found 2 that have caught my eye. Problem is I can't really decide on which one because I am not familiar with which brands are most reliable. So far I have heard that Seasonic as a manufacturer is good and therefore XFX Core and Corsair power supplies are good. I currently have heard nothing of OCZ in the power supply market so I am unsure what to make of them. My dilemma boils down to these two deals.

OCZ FATAL1TY Series 750W
Product:
OCZ FATAL1TY Series 750W ATX 24PIN SLI Ready Modular Cables 135mm Red Fan 80+ Bronze Power Supply - DirectCanada
Review:
OCZ Fatal1ty 750 W Power Supply Review | Hardware Secrets

XFX 750W PRO750W Core Edition
Product:
NCIX.com - Buy XFX 750W PRO750W Core Edition Single Rail ATX 12V 62A 24PIN ATX Power Supply 80PLUS Bronze PSU - XFX - P1750SNLB9 - in Canada
Review:
XFX PRO 750 W Power Supply Review | Hardware Secrets

The OCZ is modular while the XFX is not. Right now I'm leaning towards XFX because I think it might be more reliable. Let me know what you guys think and if there is anything I might have missed in my comparison. Should I trust OCZ or stick with the XFX? BTW I used hardware secrets for the review because I feel they are very inclusive to all aspects. If anybody knows of a more reliable review source let me know. Thanks for any help you can offer
Old August 9, 2011, 12:45 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I've heard nothing but bad things about OCZ power supplies. If there is one component in your system you don't want to go cheap on, it would be the power supply. That said, XFX has a pretty good reputation with their power supplies, so I'd suggest going with that one rather then the OCZ one.

EDIT: For an additonal $10, you may want to consider the Corsair TX750M. It's a semi-modular PSU, so you're getting the best of both the OCZ and the XFX PSU's you mentioned. NCIX doesn't have any pictures, but there are some of the unit over on Newegg.ca.

Last edited by Flemminr; August 9, 2011 at 12:51 PM.
Old August 9, 2011, 02:25 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Don't even bother with OCZ power supplies. Just get XFX one.

@ Flemminr, it's actually extra $40 because the XFX psu has $30 rebate. Btw, you will get that rebate back. I just did.

-Plato
Old August 9, 2011, 03:16 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

XFX PSU>OCZ

This really isn't an option, XFX is better a lot more than $5 better for that matter.
Old August 9, 2011, 07:38 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

You get that OCZ PSU and you'll probably regret it.
Old August 9, 2011, 07:50 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I found an interesting "decoder" for manufacturers behind rebranded PSUs on Tom's Hardware.

According to that article, XFX rebrands Seasonic power supplies (good): http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...r,2913-10.html
OCZ uses a variety of manufacturers, of which I only know FSP: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...er,2913-8.html

While we're on the OCZ-bashing topic, can anyone shed some light on the other manufacturers behind OCZ power supplies?
  • 3Y
  • Channel Well
  • Impervio
  • Sirtec
  • Topower
  • FSP
I know FSP can't be too bad if they survived a Hardware Secrets review for the Aurum Gold 500W with a [won't kill your components but still not ideal] rating, but I haven't seen any of the others.
Old August 9, 2011, 08:12 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The FSP's like Coolermaster's Elite Power FSP's and Arctic Cooling's Seasonics were over spec'd. Meaning a quality 350W might have been sold as a 400W. Still good units though, as long as you knew the "real" spec.

That Tom's list is fairly outdated as well, the OCZ ZX series are actually very impressive units, even more so when you factor in the price and the fact that they're fully modular. Great Wall makes them and although they're new to the market, they've made quite a splash with fairly high quality units at fairly low prices.

CWT, Topower, and Sirtec in my experience have been hit and miss depending on the platform.

I love to hate on their green tape, but in fairness to CWT, most of my 10+ year old PSUs still in use are CWT OEMs, way more than Seasonic/Delta.
Old August 10, 2011, 07:12 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

FSP isn't terrible, if fact I would simply trust them, but remember that OCZ can have the PSU modified from the FSP design in order to make it cheaper.

Some of the newest PSUs from OCZ have had me thinking twice about trying them again but really why should I?

I'm tired of replacing motherboards and PSUs and inconveniencing my clients because OCZ won't sell a PSU that shuts itself down properly when it dies.

ALL PSUs die, it's what they do when they die and how soon that makes the difference to me...
Old August 10, 2011, 08:10 AM
Restricted Poster

XFX. Or if willing to spend the money, Corsair.
Old August 10, 2011, 08:13 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I would go with XFX or Corsair, never go with an OSZ psu unless you want to regret it later down the lines