Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 10, 2011, 05:07 PM
MVP

I have seen positive reviews on the OCZ stealth extreme 2.
Old August 11, 2011, 06:53 AM
Rookie

Thanks for the responses guys. From your advice I'm am probably going to grab the XFX. One last question though, how can you tell if your PSU will fit in your case? Can only certain types of fan configurations on PSUs fit in certain cases? Btw right now I have a HAF 912 and I am wondering what PSUs fit in it and whether or not they need top or bottom fans. Thanks again
Old August 11, 2011, 07:14 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Anything listed as an ATX PSU will fit in your case.
Old August 12, 2011, 09:52 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

I'd go XFX over OCZ, but I'd go Corsair over both.

Just an opinion thing as they're all pretty good although I've had a couple of OCZ Failures (Good Warranty support/replacements though), I've had great luck with Corsairs but no experience with XFX other than Graphics cards (Great quality)

Another Guy From Canada
Old August 12, 2011, 10:18 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Seasonic is the OEM for both Corsair and XFX. So either of those brands would be good...and I am having absolutely no issue at all with my XFX.
The oath to serve your country did not include a contract for normal luxury, and comforts enjoyed within our society. On the contrary it implies hardships, loyalty and devotion to duty, regardless of rank
Old August 12, 2011, 12:55 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Wow. All the OCZ bashing. Obviously people here have had worse luck than me with them.

I used OCZ PSUs in my last two rigs before switching to a Coolermaster SilentPro in my most recent one and I've never had a problem.

Then again, I always over-provision on PSUs. I use 1200w with a single videocard and no internal HDDs. Not only is it less likely to fail as it loses power with age, it's running at its highest efficiency at 50% capacity and saving me money on electricity in the long run.
Old August 12, 2011, 01:16 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboToronto View Post
Then again, I always over-provision on PSUs. I use 1200w with a single videocard and no internal HDDs. Not only is it less likely to fail as it loses power with age, it's running at its highest efficiency at 50% capacity and saving me money on electricity in the long run.
Unless you're a 24/7 folder, that's a pretty big misconception. You spend significantly more for a higher wattage, mediocre quality unit. Assuming you're like most users and don't run your system at 100% load 24/7, you're actually running your unit well below 20% load where efficiency is significantly lower on these higher wattage units.

So not only do you pay more upfront, you end up paying more for electricity and you risk damaging your components and/or shortening their lifespan with mediocre voltage regulation.

In the case of PSUs and most computer hardware, it's not "bigger is better." It's about picking the right PSU for your needs and your system.

EDIT: Also, the only "longevity" you're adding the PSU by running at low loads is capacitor life via capacitor aging. However, that's pretty pointless as it merely increases the lifespan from long to ridiculously long and other components are still just as likely to fail.
Old August 12, 2011, 03:04 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

XFX>OCZ. And I agree with ilya above. You can always buy a "more powerful" cheaper made PSU with big numbers on the side that will power a rig, but if you buy a quality PSU you can get a reasonably powerful PSU that will do the job better. Its not that OCZ PSU are bad...its that generally speaking XFX is better.
Old August 14, 2011, 12:48 PM
Rookie

XFX > OCZ FROM experience
Old August 15, 2011, 01:41 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Both are crap. Invest few bucks more and go for a Seasonic/Corsair/Enermax. Sometimes people underestimate the importance of the psu for the system.