Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 25, 2011, 06:40 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

yes Sugar, I tried those eh, I used 6+2 and 6 pin on each. it's a long story, this is what happened.

I had oc'd my i7 950 on my msi big bang x58 board, and something happend, when I re-booted. for some reason, my middle dimm slots stopped working. Now I was thinking they shorted or something not sure. ANyways, I sold my cpu and then mobo i rma'd it and sold that too here when I got it back brand new. In the mean time, I bought a brand new z68-ud5 board and i7 2600K chip. So I also bought those new gskill ripjas 2x4 gig kit 1.5 volt red ones.

I put it up, it worked great, I added a couple more fans. I ran benches, wow beautiful. Then system started acting up a bit, as it my cursor would slow down and stuff, it's like when you have an unstable oc done. I only only btw when I am benching or part time folding(which i havent done in a while with all the trouble). So I then I tried to play some games and they would slow down and stuff. At that time, I had installed windows on ssd f60 corsair, and when I would try to install game on my 2ndary hard drive and when I would try to play they would really act up.

So I thought hmm maybe I have too many hard drives and I was never able to get the concept of ssd and what to enable properly in bios, so I sold the ssd. And then installed windows on a raptor 150 gig hard drive and used my tb as 2ndary.

After re-installing windows, same thing. Then I thought maybe it's the ram, so I changed the ram to my corsair tripple channel ram but used two sticks and wallah everything started working. except after a couple of hours my joy turned into pain again. it started acting up.

At that time I was certain it was the board. So I returned the board and bought a brand new p67a-ud7-b3 board of a nice guy here.

I installed windows changed the ram to new ram and guess what, it was even worst. I then thought, maybe it was the cpu, as I bought the cpu of someone locally and it was new sealed. But then I thought maybe not. I was very confused. Belive me I am not very good, but I have built over 15 systems. And I do my own troubleshooting with help of nice folks here.

Sooo. then I unisntalled 4 fans and took out one video card, wow it started working for a few minutes, I got excited, I thought I did something to fix it, but not to be.

I was sooooooooooooooooo fed up, believe me this has been happening for over 3 weeks now, I talked to this guy I usually buy from at Canadacomputers and he said hey for 39.99 we can do a complete diagnostic. Anyways it's there right now and I finally thought of this today. It was probably the psu. As I used it on i7 950 for over 3 months always oc'd, 470's slightly oc'd and 9 120 mm fans, for a perfect air circulation as I don't like my hardware getting hot!

Thanks, that was my story. As you can see it, it's long and boring but it has given me nothing but problems and I really wish they would go away. I get a call from cananda computers and they say, yes it was the psu not giving enough juice and story over!
Old July 25, 2011, 08:57 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Well, we could have saved you the $39.99, but I'm glad you have pinpointed the problem. And reinforced why I usually spec a single rail for PSU's.
Old July 25, 2011, 09:17 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

lol sugar J. Yes I could have saved that. You know, I wanna make sure 100 percent, that its nothing else. As I just picked a lga 775 combo from ST(i have bought from him before, good guy). Now I am going to downgrade, I am going to sell the cpu and the mobo that is like less than 2 weeks old. I think it was way too much for me, i just couldnt resist the temptation, specially when my system went down. How everyone is loving the 2600k series.

As I wanna make sure before I sell them they work 100 percent, but the board has serial based warranty and has over 2 years and more than 11 months left lol.

NOW I AM EXCITED ONCE Again, i am gonna have a rig that I can AFFORD, lol Thanks everyone! specially sugar for explaining the quad and single rail things.
Old July 26, 2011, 10:04 AM
Hall Of Fame

at least CC came to the same (and most likely correct) conclusion. Good to know that some companies do actually do their jobs proper! XD
Old July 26, 2011, 03:25 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Actually no man, I just got back the pc, and they told me that there was NOTHING wrong with it, they did complete diagnostic. I don't think so lol. Anyways I picked a cheap cooler master 1000 watts single rail psu just to see what happens tonight. I know for 100 percent sure now that it is the psu, but if not hey, i will part it out anyways. other than the psu, which is busted I can tell.
Old July 26, 2011, 03:50 PM
Banned
F@H

very interesting. so they tested your whole setup with the one psu etc and found NO issues?

get your money back. they probably started windows and thats it....
Old July 26, 2011, 03:59 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

yea i should eh! anyone looking to buy a sandy bridge set up??????? lol