Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 9, 2011, 10:59 PM
Rookie

Default SeaSonic X-760 vs. Corsair AX-750

Hey guys,

So I know the AX series is based off the X-750 series by SeaSonic, but I was wondering whether the new X-760 is worth the extra $ for its performance and quietness? Let me know what you guys think!
Old July 9, 2011, 11:13 PM
Banned
F@H

if memory serves right the x's fan doesnt quite get going till about40-50 percent load so depending on you
usage it might fit the bill

wheres that linkie...

Seasonic X Series 760W Power Supply Review Ľ Page 6 - Testing: Temperature, Noise Level & Fan Speed - Overclockers Club

"
The Seasonic X-Series 760W power supply cooling fan didnít really kick in until it came time to delivery half its rated power of approximately 380W. The cooling fan did spring into life when delivering 144W but it was only for short bursts of a few seconds at a speed of 500 RPM or so and only once or twice a minute. It was impossible to gain any real temperature data with this sort of fan behaviour so itís not really zero fan operation at 144W itís more like on for two seconds, off for thirty and thatís a little difficult to quantify. There is no load test between 20% and 50% following the OCC power supply testing methodology, so itís difficult to say at what point the cooling fan runs constantly but itís certainly very quiet when the power supply delivers half its rated power. The fan noise does however increase noticeably when it hits 1800 RPM at full load but this is to be expected and itís on a par with other power supplies in this class.
"

btw check the monster that is the 850 watter

Seasonic X-Series 850 W Power Supply Review | Hardware Secrets
Old July 9, 2011, 11:32 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I have the X-850 Dan mentioned and it is dead silent, the fan does not run 24/7 it only spins up when it needs to, so yes very quiet. Rails are nice and solid though I only just tested the cpu 12v, just a quick and dirty test with a MM to make sure everything is good to go. Nice to have a PSU that isnt constantly pumping heat out in the summer though it still will at load but just surfing it is nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old July 10, 2011, 06:56 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I'm super satisfied with my X-750. All the good things from those reviews and more. :)
Old July 10, 2011, 02:07 PM
Rookie

All good things of AX750 and I love mine. Extremely efficient and quiet.
Old July 10, 2011, 08:05 PM
Rookie

so I guess you can't go wrong with either? The reason I ask is that I'm aiming for a silent build.. I've looked at many reviews for both and still can't seem to decide which one to get..

Hmmm.. decisions, decisions!
Old July 10, 2011, 08:23 PM
Banned
F@H

well go seasonic,and jot down on paper what your rig will be using power wise

stay in and around the 50 percent load zone,and you may or may not see that fan going too much :)
Old July 10, 2011, 09:01 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Arrow Corsair's PSU modular 15-pin SATA power cables have 4 connectors

Well, if I may add my two cents; I have done a similar research about 4 months ago (deciding between X-750 and AX750) and I went with the Corsair's AX750 for a couple of main reasons:
1. Corsair's PSU modular 15-pin SATA power cables have 4 connectors per cable vs. 3 on the X-750
2. Corsair's cables are sleeveless and black
Of course these are personal decisions, and somebody could see it differently, however, it was nice to have one less modular cable in the box, instead of 2 just to power one additional SATA device. Mind you, I still have an Antec 300, which is a pretty crampt case.
Old July 11, 2011, 06:53 AM
Allstar
F@H

The X-760 has a number that's 10 BIGGER than the AX750 so clearly = BETTER!

All joking aside, if you are going for a silent rig, not a gaming rig, perhaps the fanless 400W Seasonic PSU is for you.

Otherwise, you can't go wrong with either, pick the one that's on sale when your purchase. I would also check cable length, I know Seasonic has a tendency to make tiny EPS12 cables making it nearly impossible to properly hide behind the mobo tray
Old July 11, 2011, 10:20 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

My System Specs

I was lucky enough to have reviewed the X850 for Seasonic and I found it to be a solid performer and it is really quiet.

It has a clever ďHybrid Silent Fan ControlĒ design, which offers three distinct operation modes, fan-less mode, silent mode, and cooling mode. The X automatically adjusts fan mode and speed according to the ambient temperature level.
Attached Images