Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Power Supplies (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/power-supplies/)
-   -   1000w PSU' Thread. (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/power-supplies/44260-1000w-psu-thread.html)

denzel81 June 18, 2011 09:18 PM

1000w PSU' Thread.

Hi, i am new to the forums and have a question for you guys. If i were to get a 1000 w psu , say an Enermax 1020w, i would want to protect it from harm! So i was looking into UPS battery backups and also the OPTI-UPS voltage stabilizer 2000.

Now i dont need to be able to backup before shutdown i just really want to protect a valuable PSU! So does anyone know anything about this? Have you guys heard of the voltage stabilizer? is that a safe alternative to a battery backup? thanks boys and girls.:canadianwave:

BootlegUsher June 18, 2011 09:45 PM

Don't know about those but I do know that most decent quality power bars come with surge protection.

_dangtx_ June 18, 2011 09:47 PM

first of all,welcome aboard!

secondly, depending on the load you will be putting on the psu, it will max out
most ups' around 100-150 dollar range.

so,as per above,look first for a good power bar.

edit : as for the voltage stabilizer,not much experience with that one but i have been using stand alone
units where the ups did not have them with good results over the years. just make sure you dont max it..

why? may one ask...well,what happens when you max it,well,you could find out in a brown way :rofl:

Mook06 June 18, 2011 10:34 PM

i run a $100 battery UPS to protect my comp, it has software that auto shuts down when power fails, it has seen a lot of power outages in bc here, and 3 months of bad generator power in alberta, all parts still run fine so i love it

i would not waste money on anything in between a simple surge protector and battery UPS, go one way or the other

Asad_A203 June 19, 2011 03:21 AM

^ Fully agreed. There is a poster on RFD who explains why purchasing a surge protector for most Canadian households is useless. It goes something like this:much of the electricity coming into your home is grounded at the tap and anything that is not suppressed there, will be impossible to be stopped by a surge suppressor connected to a wall outlet. The only real effective surge suppressor are the whole house ones (as they have a real, big, ground).

Something that ensures clean power though could be useful (Voltage regulator).

Beyond that, I have awful power in my new house and I haven't run into any issues yet with my PCs on 24/7 for the past 7 years on $10 surge protectors.

KaptCrunch June 19, 2011 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by denzel81 (Post 525827)
Hi, i am new to the forums and have a question for you guys. If i were to get a 1000 w psu , say an Enermax 1020w, i would want to protect it from harm! So i was looking into UPS battery backups and also the OPTI-UPS voltage stabilizer 2000.

Now i dont need to be able to backup before shutdown i just really want to protect a valuable PSU! So does anyone know anything about this? Have you guys heard of the voltage stabilizer? is that a safe alternative to a battery backup? thanks boys and girls.:canadianwave:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asad_A203 (Post 525866)
^ Fully agreed. There is a poster on RFD who explains why purchasing a surge protector for most Canadian households is useless. It goes something like this:much of the electricity coming into your home is grounded at the tap and anything that is not suppressed there, will be impossible to be stopped by a surge suppressor connected to a wall outlet. The only real effective surge suppressor are the whole house ones (as they have a real, big, ground).

Something that ensures clean power though could be useful (Voltage regulator).

Beyond that, I have awful power in my new house and I haven't run into any issues yet with my PCs on 24/7 for the past 7 years on $10 surge protectors.

note surge protectors are just that they don't do line filtering or regulation, for where my set-up needs that kind of monitering/regulation cause i do get to many brown outs corrupting data (killed HDD's)

denzel81
i run smart-ups 1400rm batterys last about 7yrs (gel cels) not cheap $65 but worth every penny

no need for OPTI if getting an UPS that supports AVR like smart-ups

note not all ups do both (smart-up) some are just stay-alive power (back-up)

KaptCrunch June 19, 2011 06:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
OPTI-UPS AVR-SS2000 $35.00

same filter most good PSU already have built in

note unit don't support blackout (no battery)

_dangtx_ June 19, 2011 07:56 AM

thats it. got a couple of those,well,rebadged under another brand but still the same thing.

enaberif June 19, 2011 08:30 AM

UPS > Surge Bar

Also just cause you have a 1000w psu doesn't mean your drawing that much power. Get a Kill-A-Watt and you'll see just how much your pulling realistically and then determine what type of ups you need.

_dangtx_ June 19, 2011 08:33 AM

still, a large psu even with a not crazy pc can trip the psu.

hooked up my hx1k to a 400 watt ups and it started screaming upon trying to boot it.