Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 16, 2011, 07:31 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Power adapter getting hot

Hey,

I am wondering if it is normal for the power adapter that came with my Lenovo X120e to get really hot while its charging. By really hot, I mean its not too hot to hold by hand, but I am not sure any other parts of my body could stand the heat. Once the charging is done, it goes back to room temperature.

I'd contact Lenovo, but I am not a huge fan of the phone.
Old June 16, 2011, 07:37 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Both my Acer and Gateway adapters get quite warm ( they make a great foot warmer in the winter though) while charging, you could hold a tempprobe up against it to get a close reading of what that temp is though if it really bugs you. Never done that myself so I dont know what a acceptable temp would be but I wouldnt want to hold mine against my crotch or inner thigh though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old June 16, 2011, 07:44 PM
Banned
F@H

they can get quite hot,how hot is normal? look up the papers.

sometimes standing them on the side or putting better(read) taller feet on them
helps quite a bit
Old June 16, 2011, 07:55 PM
Hall Of Fame

it's normal, don't worry about it.
Old June 16, 2011, 08:03 PM
F@H

My System Specs

They get hot, if it gets to a point that you CAN't touch it, then I would be concerned.
Its no different than a normal PSU on a computer. Heat is created doing the AC to DC conversion, the difference is, no FAN to cool it.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old June 17, 2011, 05:42 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
no FAN to cool it.
Just a chunk of plastic with no vents I really don't know what they were thinking when they made laptop AC adapters...

At least the XBOX360 power adapters have a couple ventilation holes and perhaps a fan inside (not sure).

My Dell one gets burning hot too, more so if the laptop is running while charging, and it definitely isn't comfortable to pick it up. However I've had it for about 5 years now without any issues.
Old June 17, 2011, 07:19 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

they will not do anything unless the power adapter will melt. So not much to do. how long is your warranty?
Old June 17, 2011, 07:42 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Just remember to leave it in a well ventilated space. I usually put mine on the rug (probably not the best idea really), but somewhere that has good airflow and I would less concerned at that point.
Old June 17, 2011, 08:33 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I could barely hold my Dell Inspiron 1420's power adapter if I'm charging the battery from near-zero while gaming or folding on the laptop.
How about I drain out my battery, start the laptop, and see what happens (with IR thermometer) to the power adapter if I run OCCT power supply test while the battery's charing back up to full?
I'll let you know of the results to show a comparison
Old June 18, 2011, 09:06 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well I ran the test - my Dell laptop PSU topped out at 56 degrees C after 3 hours of battery charging + OCCT PSU test at 93W draw from the wall (it's a 90W adaptor).

The PSU itself was resting on a flat concrete surface (actually, the counterweight of one of my bookshelf speaker stands). If it was sitting on carpet or insulated in some way, I'm sure it would've been worse.