Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 12, 2011, 04:03 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Is this PSU really any good?

Hey guys,

So im not too good when it comes to the technical specs of a PSU with things such as the Amps and rails.

I currently have this PSU. ocz600mxsp

Newegg.com - OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W Modular High Performance Power Supply compatible with Intel Sandybridge Core i3 i5 i7 and AMD Phenom

Is it considered a good PSu with its Rails/Amps?
Old June 12, 2011, 04:34 PM
Banned
F@H

try to score a seasonic or corsair :)

not thta that is a baaad psu mkay? :)
Old June 12, 2011, 05:21 PM
Rookie

My general rule is, do not buy an psu i have not heard of, or OCZ... lol

Silverstone Strider series. Seasonic, Corsair, Antec (some coolermasters IMO are okay).

Brands i usually stick to.

You can also get a gold series PSU, if you plan on keeping the PC a long time the gold will usually pay itself off in the long run. We all like low power bills :)
Old June 12, 2011, 05:34 PM
Banned

Guys he already have the OCZ, and I guess he wants to know if this psu will do well with his build in the signature

According to Antec PSU calculator, this system, will take somewhere between 390 and 560 watts depending on the age of the PSU.
Old June 12, 2011, 05:38 PM
Banned
F@H

i stand by my previous post :)
Old June 12, 2011, 07:27 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Gave a surprisingly good impression on Hardware Secrets when they took it apart and investigated it. Apparently shut down twice when they tested it at full rated power, 600W. They said it almost got close to the Bronze certification in efficiency. I am considering it as an upgrade, as the one I have now is kinda old and is limiting me with only one 6 pin connector. Pretty good price, on directcanada I think is at around 65$, with a 25$ MIR. They are very often sold with MIRs, at least on directcanada.com not to mention recently you also get them on free ground shipping. Newegg.ca has them at higher price all the time plus the shipping is usually more than directcanada, even with DC's 9.99 air shipping. Looks a very good value at in this light anyway.
update : as a general indicator look on newegg what is the percentage of reviews that give only one egg for the product and compare with other products. this one was showing 9% reviews with only one egg. Now is really difficult in OCZ's case to make a clear assessment if the product was really faulty or people were just angry that their rebate never came so they just gave one egg. But in general compared against Antec or Corsair for example, these 2 have like only 5% reviews with only one egg. If you already have it and don't know what to do, put the bills towards a better product and sell this one. Anyway I would not keep any PSU more than 3 years just to be on the safe side.

Last edited by MARSTG; June 12, 2011 at 08:08 PM.
Old June 12, 2011, 09:46 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The last thing you want to cheap out on is the PSU. I would stay far away from OCZ.
Old June 13, 2011, 06:00 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Smile Power Supplies

I've no personal experience with these psus but tend 2 shy away from any with a questionable history. Corsair psus have never let me down yet, and the 430w is cheap enough. That said, my

750, 1000, and 1200w units have been loaded down without even showing signs of stress. 2 5970s with multiple HDDs, fans and additional hardware using a HX1000, then tried 2 480s and the unit

never even got warm after running Prime 95 4 over an hour.

As another member pointed out, the psu is a very important core component, so picking a reputable/durable psu is a given imho. If the power draw is as another member mentioned, a 600w psu is

cutting it close, and would consider a 750 watter, preferably modular.

BTW: Welcome 2 HWC!!!
Old June 15, 2011, 04:59 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Definitely look at Corsair or Seasonic. I've personally built my last four systems with Corsair PSU's and none of them show any problems - the five year warranty never hurts and their solid modular design (HX series) is for the most part excellent, albeit some of the modular plugs can be a bit difficult to plug in.

On the other hand, a friend of mine has burned through two OCZ PSU's in a row, on the same PC. He is now on his third - the two previous ones were replaced by OCZ under warranty but it still left him without a PC for two weeks per failure.
[[Asus Rampage III Formula RoG | Intel Core i7 980X @ 4.2 Ghz | Corsair H70 | 12GB DDR3-1600 G.Skill | 2 x MSI 560Ti 1GB Twin Frozer II SLi | Corsair AX750 PSU | 2 x Crucial C300 128GB SSD + 3 x Samsung F1 1TB | Silverstone Fortress FT02B]]
Old June 16, 2011, 10:51 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I had to out of pocket on a few client builds becuase their OCZ supplies kept giving up the ghost. Luckly the protection built into these FSP designs never killed the hardware they were powering.
It was still a major inconvicence for my clients.

Get something other than the OCZ.

Silverstone is a very good middle of the road, so long as you buy their higher end/wattage models.
Their lower end is no better than OCZ (most of the time same OEM).

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com