Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 7, 2011, 10:22 PM
Rookie

Default XFX vs Corsair

Hi all,

Did a quick search and didn't really find the info I was looking for so just wondering:

I initially had the XFX750 Pro Core edition in my virtual shopping cart. But thought more about it: I'm leaning toward an 850w PS just for the overhead and future proofing (though I may be being paranoid and thinking too far ahead). I want a good quality psu, and the XFX and Corsair seem to be on par with good quality, but I also want a bang for buck deal.

My current system:

Proc: C2D E8400 Oc'd to 3.7 (ram limited :()
Ram: G-skill F2-8000 DDR2
2x 2TB WD greens
1x 640GB SG
6x 120mm Fans
1x Coolit Eco
1x MSI 560 TI Hawk (Just bought it)

Had this comp for too long, tis the season of upgrading.

I'm almost definitely going to buy another hawk when it comes down in price to SLI(or see below). And very soon am going to upgrade to an i5 2500k/mobo/8gb ram and oc the bottom out of it. So just want to make sure I'm going to have enough power to easily keep this rig running for 3 years.

I almost wish I had waited and gotten a 580 or just went with the 6950 like I first had in mind as I've always been an ati user before now. Eh, buyers remorse.

The reason I mention that, and why I'm in the mood for an 850w is I might actually return the 560 and pay the restocking fee at ncix to get the 580.

Any info is very much appreciated. (On the PSU or even the vid card choice if you are so inclined - I game at 1080p for now, 27 inch ips make me happy though :))
Old June 7, 2011, 10:36 PM
Banned
F@H

well,depends on wh made the unit,and then of course the one unit itself.

seasonic made would be a clear choice. thus buy a seasonic :)

and of course channel well tech can build good stuff,too!

ps yes,very paranoid. youll be pulling maybe 400 watts on the 12v fully clocked.

edit : look here JonnyGURU.com - Thermaltake Toughpower Grand 1200W Review

and here Uncomplicating the Complicated | Hardware Secrets

for overload tests

and here techPowerUp! - The latest in hardware and gaming

since the greek guy(cmarris) knows his sheet :)
Old June 7, 2011, 10:58 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Errr... XFX PSU's do get good reputation from JohnnyGuru, (ie; the PRO 650W & 750W units). Plus the price, which I paid for the PRO750, was terrific ($70 after MIR).

-Plato
Old June 8, 2011, 08:09 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

well as far as I know i'm pretty sure they use the same units in their core and tx series. I could be wrong though =/
Old June 8, 2011, 08:13 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Well, if youre going to use an XFX unit, get the black edition 850w. It has high regards from jonnyguru.

But if you can find a good price for a 850w Corsair then go for it. Both units are solid as per reviews.
-Swiffy MCP35x X2, (2) Aphacool UT60 480 rad, Heatkiller rev. 3.0, i7 3930k @ 4.6 Ghz, 16 GB G.SKILL F3, Asus Rampage IV Extreme, XFX R9 290 w/ XPSC WB, Crucial M4 128GB & 240 GB Intel 530, (5) 3 TB Toshiba Drive, Corsair AX1200, Win 7 Ult 64-bit

HTPC Rig:
-G3258 @ Stock, Asrock Z97 Pro 4, Gigabyte 270x, 500 GB WD Black, (5) 2 TB WD Green, (1) 3 TB Toshiba HD, (1) 2 TB Samsung F4, Fractal Design R3, Corsair HX620 PS, Win 7 Ult 64-bit
Old June 16, 2011, 04:31 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm89 View Post
well as far as I know i'm pretty sure they use the same units in their core and tx series. I could be wrong though =/
this be true, the XFX core series are the same as the Corsair TX series!

usually the XFX units are cheaper and look cooler imo so id normally go for XFX however Corsair customer support is legendary so if they are about the same price id personally go Corsair (not to say XFX support isn't good, just that they are new in this market so their reputation isn't built yet)!
Old June 16, 2011, 04:58 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Apparently the PSUs for Corsair and XFX are made by Seasonic lately and have the same components as described on Hardwaresecrets. I guess difference will be made by price and/or level of customer service?

Corsair TX750 V2 Power Supply Review | Hardware Secrets

Last edited by MARSTG; June 16, 2011 at 05:52 PM.
Old June 16, 2011, 07:07 PM
F@H

My System Specs

There are minor tweaks done on each side of the fence with the people who brand them (Corsair, XFX) as their engineers like to poke at the platforms a bit. Which is why for example you can have the same Seasonic MD platform on 4 different vendors and get 4 different results for PSU performance.

From a Customer service point of view both companies are amazing. XFX and Corsair have never steered me wrong in my dealings, and to this date I have never needed to RMA a PSU from them.

So really, find the best price you can on either one and go for it.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old June 23, 2011, 04:39 PM
Rookie

I would definitely go with Corsair. It's been very reliable and I can depend on it for any builds I make. Also, with their long warranty periods, it's hard to go with someone else. Also, I've used my hx650 for many many years and it's still going strong.
Old June 25, 2011, 05:30 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

i think my best bet will be the XFX core edition 650W. It has 2x6pin and 2x6+2 pin power connectors which would easily allow me get a SLI system with gtx 460 or whatever the opportunity will provide on the BST section. It sells for 77$ on DC with free ground shipping while the corsair tx 650, it's twin, is 89 on the same site, also free ground shipping. Also it has 5 year warranty which is always a good thing.