Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 28, 2011, 09:39 AM
Banned

Default Seasonic overheating

I want to know if Seasonic PSU owner notice their PSU produce more heat than other, here why :

I have this Seasonic M12D 850 watts , it blow hot air at the back like no other of my PSU do. This is on a build that according to Antec PSU calculator will require a 500 watts, and my kill-a-watt show only 360 watts in full use. At first I thought it was may be the fan that donít run fast enough to reduce the noise, but the computer crash time to time it reboot, it happen every other day. I have to send it back for RMA but I need a PSU in the waiting time, so I order another 1000 watts PSU, a real pain. But then I suspect also the RAM, but I guess it will BSOD before reboot noÖItís not my GPU since I change it and still have the same problem.

So the question, do you thing I do the good thing to order another PSU, anyway I can use the RAM one for another build latter.
Old May 28, 2011, 09:42 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I doubt it's overheating, and I doubt it's a PSU problem.
Old May 28, 2011, 10:34 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

System specs please.

EBAY(http://myworld.ebay.ca/scott0639)
Old May 28, 2011, 10:39 AM
Banned
F@H

look up johnnyguru's review,and a few more.

then get a more accurate reading,vs case temps,and compare again :)
Old May 28, 2011, 10:58 AM
Rookie

what are you doing when it crashes from time to time? if you're only pulling only 360 from the wall the PSU is not being stressed at all. by any chance is your CPU heatsink right below the PSU intake fan?
Old May 28, 2011, 11:04 AM
Banned

It's not related to case temps, this PSU is running on a Antec Skeleton, the PSU blow hot air at the back and the casing of the PSU is warm,

and it's not the motherboard or CPU since I switch them and it still do the same, the only thing in commun left are the PSU and the RAM and a SSD drives , what make me think it's the PSU, it's sometime it's more warm than other, and this on iddle too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftstang View Post
what are you doing when it crashes from time to time? if you're only pulling only 360 from the wall the PSU is not being stressed at all. by any chance is your CPU heatsink right below the PSU intake fan?
it's a very light use PC, running 24/7 , sometime when I come in the room the PC have reboot, but it happen 3 times I was on the keyboard only browsing and PAF it reboot without warning.

Anyway monday I will receive the new PSU, if it happen again We gone look more... But something told me those Seasonic are design to run with low speed fan, that will explain why low flow of hot air go out : let say that's a 80% efficient PSU, and it's using 300 watts, that's means that 60 watts of heat is produce and if this heat is rel;ease be a slow fan it get warm inside, it's why I ask the owner of Seasonic 850 watts, if they have the same observation rearding the heat

Last edited by Lanboy; May 28, 2011 at 11:10 AM.
Old May 28, 2011, 11:24 AM
Rookie

yeah i have the same PSU as you. before i changed setups the fan wouldn't spin sometimes cuz of the low load/heat on it. i think until it reaches a certain temp it wont turn on. unlike most of others which spin constatantly at idle.

since you suspect the memory have to tried testing it with Memtest or similar program?
Old May 28, 2011, 11:36 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftstang View Post
..since you suspect the memory have to tried testing it with Memtest or similar program?

48 hours Memtest produce nothing. Monday I change the PSU, if I have the same problem, ( can take 5 days before it happen) I will run the system with other memory, but those RAM was working fine in another system, unsuported by this board ?... anyway as I said I will try the PSU first and we will see.
Old May 28, 2011, 02:08 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo' power View Post
System specs please.
/\ /\ /\
Old May 28, 2011, 03:08 PM
Banned

the system specs are not the problem, as I mention before AntecCalaculator ask for around 500w and this is with 50% aging , the build draw 360 watts

Asus Rampage III Gene
i7-965x
6 sticks of G.Skill F3-12800CL9T
Saphire HD 4650
Windows 2008r2 enterprise