Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 24, 2011, 05:29 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default OCZ B-Stock

I've been seeing a lot of these OCZ B-Stock power supplies. Are they good at all? They have a 700w GamexStream for like 60 bucks at DC. I don't see an 80+ in the description though, has anyone used one of of these refurbed ones?
Old May 24, 2011, 06:20 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

You won't find much love for OCZ PSU's here.

Only OCZ line I can recommend is the ZX series.

If you want cheap there are far better choices.
Old May 24, 2011, 06:49 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Ilya is right, you wont find love for these PSU here, especially the B-stock because they are refurb PSU and we mostly all strongly belive that the PSU is the most important part of a system and the one you should go with the best quality possible. Since it have the power to kill the whole computer.

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old May 24, 2011, 11:03 PM
MVP
F@H

OCZ modxtream is 80+

BUT....

It's a refurb. Do you really want a PSU that was broken once and has been fixed?

Post the rest of your specs, chances are you can find a PSU for that price that is better quality and fits your needs.
Old May 25, 2011, 02:50 AM
MVP

My System Specs

As I recall, the Z-series is built by Sirtec (or Sirfa, can't keep those two sister companies straight) which has an even less impressive reputation than Impervio, which produced the infamously short-lived OCZ EliteXStreams.

GameXStreams are apparently made by Fortron Source, which has been coasting on residual reputation for years.

I know both lines fairly well: had a 600W GameXStream fan go on me, was replaced by two 800W EliteXStreams (both died), then an 850W GameXStream (arrived with a bad fan), and finally ended up with a 900W PC Power & Cooling Silencer which is anything but. Eventually yanked the stock 80mm fan and swapped it to a slower one since my system never even hits 50% capacity.

I was offered a Z series, but took the Silencer because I couldn't find a single review of the Z series two months after launch and didn't trust OCZ's ability to pick manufacturers. Reviews of the Z later popped up on a few sites and the results were about what I expected -- questionable performance, and every review found at least one meaningful defect. Not all the same, so it was a QC issue rather than just design flaws. E.g. OCZ Z Series 850W Review
Old May 25, 2011, 09:38 AM
MVP

My System Specs

I would rather go with a new 80+ modular psu instead of a used hunk of poo. Spend the extra 20 bucks and get a new seasonic or sparkle psu.
Old May 29, 2011, 09:23 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Smile

Had the ModXstream Pro 500, pretty good, but bought from new, very silent, that plastic shield on the inside looks weird from close and is a pain to attach the modular cables when they are not in place already and the case is full (Antec 300). I had to do that when I upgraded to a Radeon HD 4890 with 2x6 pin connectors. Anyway from the cheaper lines from OCZ, ModXstream pro is the only one I would go with. Had mostly Antec, Earth Watts 380 and 500. And one SmartPower 450W that died after 5 years but I guess that would be normal, in a PC I gave to a friend. Useless to say it took the whole system with it when it died. So in short I would not go with a refurb PSU, prefer to pay 20$ more for the new one, and it might come back as a MIR.
On Newegg the ModXstream 500 and EarthWatts 500 seem to be extremely popular buys, and in between the 2 of them I would go with the OCZ, is better looking. Probably I would be wrong as the Antec is in fact a Seasonic I think, but OCZ is still better looking

Last edited by MARSTG; May 29, 2011 at 09:28 PM. Reason: add
Old May 30, 2011, 10:54 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Corsair TX750W for $79.99. Not worth spending $60 to get a refurb power supply from OCZ. My TX750W was able to handle a draw of at least 750W for 1 week without any problems. Another poster with a similar setup as mine but a more power OCZ power supply could not keep up with the same load.
Old May 31, 2011, 09:29 AM
Rookie

I hardly trust their 'A-stock' when I'm doing a build with them. I usually push for Corsairs.
Old June 4, 2011, 08:16 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I have a b-stock stealthxstream 500W and it is pretty good.
One thing to keep in mind is the fact that the 24 pin and eps are pretty short and are a bitch to plugin on bottom mounted PSU cases, i had some issues getting mine to reach and had to wire it under my video card.