Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 28, 2008, 10:25 PM
Rookie

Question What Power Supply will work for my set-up to be? also is it any good?

Hi all,

Okay so I wasn't too sure where to post this and im new here so if this is the wrong spot please move it if needed. Thanks.

Ok so I am building a new computer (well as soon as the moneys all here) And I am wondering if you can give me your advice on it and what Powersupply will work for it Im not to familiar with SLI and what kind of power it takes.. I have read a bit on some sites but I want to know other "every day" peoples opinion on what acctually works.

So my desired set-up is this. Please if you see any problem with it post it. :) much appreciated.

CPU - AMD Phenom 64 (9600) 2.3GHz Quad Core

MoBo - Asus M3A32-MVP DELUXE/WIFI-AP (it says something about ATI crossfire... is this not going to work with Nvidia cards then? (like below))

RAM - OCZ OCZ2RPR10662GK dual channel 2 GB kit x2 = 4 GB of RAM (not set on) looking for 2GB sticks so I can have the full 8GB RAM but hard to find...

Vid - x2 BFG GeForce 8800GTX OC2 768MB GDDR3 in SLI (can this card run Quardo SLI?)

HDD 1 - (WD740ADFD) Raptor 74GB 16MB cache SATA 10,000RPM (Will I notice this being faster then say a reg 7,200RPM but SATA II and with 32MB cache? It would be my OS drive worth it?)

HDD 2+3 - Seagate Barracuda (ST3500320AS) 500GB SATA II (32MB Buffer) (7200RPM) X2= 1TB

PS - (OCZ600SXS) Stralth X Stream 600Watt (enough power?)

Optical - LG (GSA-H62N) Black 18XDL DVD (SATA)

Case - Cooler Master Elite 330 (black) (not set in stone yet)

So what do you think? will the parts sing well together? and will that 600W PS be enough plus some fans (until i upgrade to Water cooling)?

Thanks much for your input and your time reading this.

Crazy Timmy
Old January 28, 2008, 11:18 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Well, the 1st problem is you're going to run an AMD setup. I think the Intel chips give you better performance for the money. Which doesn't seem to be an object, given your choice of graphics cards.

If you're looking to run SLI, that mobo is a Crossfire board. AMD cards only in multiple configuration. I'm not sure Asus has released the latest 3/4 card SLI boards yet.

The 8800GTX's will run in up to quad sli mode on the right mobo if you can fit them on. 780i Northbridge for Intel chips, 680a MCP for AMD's.

With the amount of hardware you're looking to run, I think at least an 800W power supply is in order, if not a 1000w. The AMD processor and 8800GTX cards suck up a lot of power.

Good luck.
Old January 29, 2008, 05:23 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

I agree with what Sugar said above. You will need to either change your entire setup to an Intel-based SLI board like the 780i or pick two ATI cards like the HD3870 512MB cards.

Only then can we recommend which PSU to get.
Old January 29, 2008, 07:31 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Regardless, 600W is no where near enough. The graphics cards alone probably need all that.

I'd go for the 780i and Q6600, or if you can wait, Q9450.
Old January 29, 2008, 07:27 PM
Rookie

Thanks for your input. hmm... im kinda partial to the Nvidia cards myself... And i want the new mem speed PC8500 brings... however, the intel v.s. amd... I have an intel now and not that im on either side I just heard that amd is a better gaming cpu. And I want to be doing alot of gaming and some desktop like photoshop..

But you say that the intel chips are a better bang for your buck for speed. But its 299 for the amd Phenom quad core. And the intel equivlant is like 1000 is it not? or what would "" be the intel equivlant to the Phenom 9500?

Thanks,

Crazy Timmy
Old January 30, 2008, 09:20 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

But you say that the intel chips are a better bang for your buck for speed. But its 299 for the amd Phenom quad core. And the intel equivlant is like 1000 is it not? or what would "" be the intel equivlant to the Phenom 9500?

Check out Toms Hardware guide, they have a really good cpu guide/chart that compares many cpu's,

CPU Charts | Tom's Hardware

it will give you a good idea as there are many benchmarks to compare cpu's head-to-head. Hope this helps.
Old January 30, 2008, 09:45 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

BTW, despite being underpowerd for your intended setup the StealthXstream if a very good and undervalued PSU. There is a review out there that pulled it apart and found the components nearly identical to the GameXstream 700W, which I have.

I'd say that the Q6600 is the current equivalent to a Phenom and it's $100 more, not quite near the $1000. The thing that makes me wary of Quads though is that the core speed is lower so I've heard mixed reviews on it giving you performance for gaming.

I have read that a phenom 2.4Ghz core can't be directly compared to an Atlhon 2.4Ghz core because the phenom will do 15-20% more at the same speed YMMV.

I've also seen a testimony from someone who likes to multitask and they said the X2 6400+ was hiccuping on video stream while running other programs whilst the Phenom didn't blink.

I built my rig for gaming so I chose a 6400+ BE, for the core reason and also because despite my AM2 board claiming support for it I was worried since I remember a time when I got burned when the Pentium Overdrive came out (yes I'm that old). $384 bucks at the time and it worked in my 486 motherboard but only with writethrough cache which was a 15% performance hit. But that's old news... hehe.
Old January 30, 2008, 10:02 AM
Hall Of Fame

It's also $299 for the Q6600.

They edge out the Phenom's at equal clock speeds, they're roughly equal on power consumption, and their greater overclocking headroom is thoroughly well-documented by this point.
Old January 30, 2008, 10:55 AM
Top Prospect

I see thats Tom'sHardware CPU guide has yet to benchmark the E8400 wonder when they will get those posted.